CAD/CAM discussion forum > 3D CAD/CAM > Quirky Spaceball buttons

Quirky Spaceball buttons

Subscribe Topic

Phil

Message 1 of 14

Quirky Spaceball buttons
10-09-2004 09:54 . am   |   View his/her posts only
I recently acquired a 3dConnexion 4000FLX Spaceball. When using the buttons in VX version 9, the buttons function normally. However, when using VX version 10, they do not. When the active window changes from the main VX window to any other window (e.g., an VX options form, Internet Explorer, etc.), whether manually or automatically, most of my spaceball buttons simply repeat the last action VX used.

For example, when extruding a shape the last action is to middle mouse click [vxSend,"|Enter"]. Pressing any spaceball button after that causes [vxSend,"|Enter"] to be shown in the report window and subsequently the extrude box reappears (as it should -- if I had intentionally middle clicked again, which I did not).

A different example: when right clicking in the model window, then left clicking elsewhere to clear the right click menu, pressing a spaceball button afterwords brings up the right click menu again.

Another example: when the spaceball buttons are working and I select Unhighlight All, switch to another window and back, pressing any spaceball button causes the Unhighlight All command to be repeated.

Another: even typing "$report" in the command window causes the button to stop working properly.

I am able to get the buttons to function properly if I select an object in the model window. Then I can shade, etc. with my buttons. But simply going up to the parent object and back causes it to happen all over again.

Subsequently, any time an options window appears, the buttons stop working until I highlight an object in the model window.

Has anyone else experienced something similar to this, and if so, found a resolution? I'm using the most current spaceball driver software. I can use the spaceball buttons without any problems in VX version 9, using the same spaceball configuration file (in the spaceball setup).

Phil

ChrisWard2k2

Message 2 of 14

10-09-2004 10:38 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Hi Phil

I personally do not use a Spaceball, but I think I know what is happening here. VX v10 has a subtle GUI enhancement concerning window focus. In v9 and previous releases, Users would sometimes find it difficult to keep the focus where they wanted it - for example when typing in a value. VX v10 does not predetermine focus, it waits for the User to click a window or form field, thus then fixing the focus to suit the User. So, I think your Spaceball config file for the buttons needs to be edited to match v10 behaviour.

Phil

Message 3 of 14

10-09-2004 11:33 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Hi Chris,

I know exactly what the other users were talking about, and am glad to hear that issue has been addressed.

Since you did not specify which edits would correct this condition, I'm assuming you're looking into it and will post that information when you have it.

Phil

ChrisWard2k2

Message 4 of 14

10-09-2004 01:23 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Sorry Phil, I can't look into it over the weekend as I do not have a Spaceball. Should be able to find out on Monday.

ChrisWard2k2

Message 5 of 14

16-09-2004 11:41 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Hi Phil

Well, I have some news from our friends at IDS UK - they are Resellers of both VX and the SpaceBall. They are using v10.11 and have simply copied over the v9 SpaceBall macro file and it is working fine. Is it v10.11 that you are having troubles with, or is it 10.01?

Phil

Message 6 of 14

16-09-2004 11:46 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Actually, both.

Phil

ChrisWard2k2

Message 7 of 14

16-09-2004 11:55 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Owch! I assume you have tried re-allocating the buttons and saving the settings as a new file? It is almost as though a "feature" of the SpaceBall is running - i.e. a mode where it intentionally repeats the last command.

ChrisWard2k2

Message 8 of 14

16-09-2004 12:00 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
The IDS guys are using an earlier SpaceBall driver, not the latest one. That may have something to do with the problem......

Phil

Message 9 of 14

16-09-2004 01:25 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
I was using the newest 3DxWare driver. It's their version 4 but it they named it version 1.x, according to the 3dConnexion support guys I talked to. So I uninstalled that one, downloaded and installed their most current PREVIOUS driver: 3DxWare v3.6.4. This is acting the same way: works perfect in VX v9.x, problems with VX v10.x.

I think the best way to explain what's happening is to describe what event reporting shows: that when focus leaves the model window, all the spaceball buttons start using the [vxSend,"|Enter"] macro. That's why the last command is repeating, just like clicking the middle mouse button. The only action that returns the buttons to proper functionality is clicking an entity in the model window with my cursor.

I did reallocate the buttons and save as a new file, but that didn't help. What do you mean the IDS guys "copied over the v9 SpaceBall macro file"?

Still confused,

Phil

ChrisWard2k2

Message 10 of 14

17-09-2004 08:40 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Hi Phil

Sorry, "copied over" was not good terminology. What I meant was that the stored SpaceBall button config file used is the same for v9 and v10. Also, IDS tell me they are using the same SpaceBall model as yours (4000FLX). So, I'm wondering if there is some other factor, such as a difference in how v10 is using OpenGL for example. It is indeed a very strange problem. Are there other VX Users in your office that also have this problem?

Phil

Message 11 of 14

17-09-2004 03:01 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Hi Chris,

In fact this problem exists on all the computers here that have VX installed on them. There were no problems with any v9.x programs, but on every installation of v10.x the spaceball buttons behaved exactly the same way as I have described before.

I feel a little better now at least knowing that whatever is going on here isn't something unique to my computer or VX installation.

Phil

ChrisWard2k2

Message 12 of 14

20-09-2004 06:24 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Hi Phil

Well, nice that you are not alone (which indicates sanity is intact!) but clearly a major problem and as yet we have made no progress towards a solution for you.

Are your SpaceBalls the parallel or USB versions? I think we can safely say that the problem is not the SpaceBall itself, since it works OK with v9, and it does not seem to be the SpaceBall driver nor the buttons config file since you have tested these as OK in v9 and IDS find them to be OK in v10.11.

So, we are looking for something on your PCs that VX v9 does not have a problem with and yet VX v10 does (in addition to the SpaceBalls themselves of course ). Let's try to eliminate the more obvious factors of the PC setup. If all the PCs you are running VX with are basically the same, can you let me know the exact version of Windows, exact Graphics Card Model, installed OpenGL driver version and VX Display settings (Utilities, Configuration, Display) for Software OpenGL driver, Hidden lines and Window Restoration?

Has some other application been installed during the time period after v9 was installed but before v10 was installed?

Finally, is Active Window Tracking switched on or off? (When on, the window focus automatically follows the mouse instead of having to click on a window to make it active).

Phil

Message 13 of 14

20-09-2004 10:11 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Hi Chris,

My Spaceball is one of the serial variety.

Other specs:
    PC: Dell Latitude C640, Intel 4-M @ 2.00GHz processor, 1.00GB RAM
    OS: Windows XP Professional, Version 2002 (5.1.2600), SP2 (using SP1 when problem was discovered)
    Graphics card: ATI Mobility Radeon 7500 (32MB); Installed driver: ati2dvag (6.14.01.6292 - ATI Catalyst 3.1); ATI M7 3D Accelerator
    VX software OpenGL driver: enabled (note: disabling had no effect)
    VX hidden lines: removed
    VX window restoration: standard
    Active Window Tracking is off.
If I remember correctly, I installed v9.0 back in April shortly after it was released. Then I installed v9.2, v9.31, v9.51, v9.61, v10.01, and v10.11 when they became available. As far as other installed applications between v9 and v10, I'd say yes and no. Yes I have installed a few utilities like Tray Wizard, Rainlendar, etc. but no major installs other than the new VX releases. Certainly nothing that a spaceball could be used with. As for applications installed between VX v9.61 and v10.01, I can say nothing whatsoever.

Regards,

Phil

ChrisWard2k2

Message 14 of 14

20-09-2004 01:48 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Hi Phil

Nothing extraordinary about your PC's setup. I assume the other machines in the office are similar. IDS are as it happens using similar spec Dell laptops. I have asked our developers for their help (hurricanes not withstanding!). PCR 15468 has been raised on the subject. The peculiar thing is that, of so many SpaceBall Users, you are currently the only company to report being hit by this problem.

The reason I asked about window tracking is because you mentioned the problem occurs if you "wander" outside the VX Main window - e.g. to I.E. Let's see if, armed with all the info provided by you, somebody can put their finger on the cause.
See also
X