CAD/CAM discussion forum > Other CAD/CAM Technology > Forms out of notebook range

Forms out of notebook range

Subscribe Topic

OldForumPost

Message 1 of 12

Forms out of notebook range
09-10-2004 12:10 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Does anybody know a solution handling the large parameter forms using a 15' notebook. When opening a parameter form in a QM operation, the form appears so large, so i cannot hit the OK or CALCULATE button. Since VX 10.21 the forms are larger, cause more setting parameters are inside. My notebook has a 15' screen and a max solution of 1024x768 pix. The nvidia FX 6500go graphic card is very good for cad/cam and simulation, but useless without the possibility to calculate toolpaths. Is there a way to customize the form size? or does anybody know how to fit the screen?

ChrisWard2k2

Message 2 of 12

10-10-2004 03:49 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Hi Hans

My laptop Screen Res is 1440 x 900, so the bottom of the CAM parameters form is off-screen for me too. I drag the form upwards - maybe this will be OK for you too. The long CAD toolbars can be docked horizontally instead of vertically, or you can set the icons to "small" via Config.

ChrisWard2k2

Message 3 of 12

10-10-2004 05:17 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Hi again Hans

Actually, I calculate that dragging the QM Rough Lacecut Op Def Form (Parameters), will still not help you. There is a solution, and that is to remove the vertical spacing between the buttons ("widgets") on the form. This is done by editing the form template file. Not for the faint hearted, but anyone familiar with programming for VX can do it.

Now, it so happens that the forms can be long because generous allowances are made for German Language labels on forms - typically, the equiverelent German word is longer than the English one. The Analysis Accuracy section of the QM form is long because the slider bar labels are above the bar instead of either side of it. Each of the regions or groups of "widgets" also have generous spacing on this form. The grouping rectangles around a group of widgets uses up height space too.

Attached is the English Language version of the QM Rough Lacecut Op Def Form for v10.21. I have edited it to make it shorter. Try the form on your PC to see if my changes make enough difference for you to be able to access the whole form. it is easy to get VX to use this new form:

1) Ensure VX is not running;
2) Place the attached form template file "OpdefRLacecut.t" in the Supp Folder in your VX User Folder;
3) Place the attached "CompileVX.bat" (it's zipped as CompileVX.rar) file in your VX User Folder
(If you have installed any macros, CompileVX.bat should already exist);
4) Run CompileVX.bat by double-clicking on it - you should see a command window (DOS-like window) pop-up;
5) Now run VX, open a CAM Plan and create a new QM Rough Lace Op. Click the parameters link to see the new form.

If the form size is OK for you, you can e-mail me the German templates for QM parameters and I will shorten them for you. Out of all the forms, I think the following are the only ones that are too long:

OpdefRLacecut.t
OpdefLacecut.t
OpdefDrvCrvcut.t
OpdefZSlicecut.t
OpdefPencilcut.t
OpdefFlow3cut.t
OpdefEgr2dcut.t
OpdefBulgecut.t
OpdefOff2dcut.t
OpdefLaceHcut.t
OpdefFlowcut.t

You will find the ".t" files in the installation folder (either downloaded or on CD ROM). The path is ../win/supp

OldForumPost

Message 4 of 12

10-10-2004 06:06 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Hi Chris,

first, sorry - was not my plan to generate work for you on sunday, but

the solution you wrote works very fine. form now shows all parameters available. Thank you very much. Moving the forms was a solution in VX 10.11, but in VX 10.21 the distance is not long enough.

I do not use german gui on my laptop, so for now we should not think about the german outcoming of the forms. But should be not forgotten in the future.
also, i think there are not many users of a cad/cam system working with laptops (how much pounds for your laptop? :-)) but it could be.

Now i would like to have the remaining operation forms to that size, so if it is a long job for you, or you are to busy, i would try to make it by myself.

Thanks from germany
Hans

Dan

Message 5 of 12

10-10-2004 08:05 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
U guys are amasing! Lightly working weekends I fill sorry cuz the forms are long. We should look here in FL to support a better range of resolutions.

ChrisWard2k2

Message 6 of 12

11-10-2004 02:37 . am   |   View his/her posts only

Hi Hans

No problem . I have been surprised by the number of customers that work with VX on their laptops - in fact, I think more do than don't. In the old days, if you suddenly thought of a good solution for a design problem, you would scribble it down on any piece of paper that came to hand - so I guess the laptop has become those pieces of paper.

I have put in PCR 15619 (updates to you). I think the time for a GUI re-design is rapidly approaching. I would like to have as many of the options and settings as possible "up front" on one form sized to the display window. For now, we just need to change the height/width ratio of the existing forms.

Hey QM Master, where are you (geographically) at the moment? Your post is Monday 11 at 9:05am?

ChrisWard2k2

Message 7 of 12

11-10-2004 12:04 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
OK, for those with 15 inch screens, attached is a rar (zip) archive file with replacement QM Parameter Forms plus "CompileVX.bat" to add them into VX v10.21. Please follow these simple instructions:

1) Ensure VX is not running;
2) Extract the rar (zip) to the Supp Folder in your VX User Folder (Thirteen ".t" files plus CompileVX.bat);
3) Move the "CompileVX.bat" file up to your VX User Folder;
(If you have installed any macros, CompileVX.bat should already exist);
4) Run CompileVX.bat by double-clicking on it - you should see a command window (DOS-like window) pop-up;
5) Launch VX and you should find that the QM Parameter Forms are now short enough to fit your screen.

Dan

Message 8 of 12

11-10-2004 04:13 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
my post was "Sunday October 10, 2004 8:05 PM" and I'm FL where is warm and well when hurricanes aren't around, this means not too often

BTW I agree a more resolution aware GUI will be benefic. Just google after XAML to have a nice reading.

OldForumPost

Message 9 of 12

11-10-2004 06:11 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Great job chris, all forms for QM ops now fits the screen. Thanks a lot.
Now i can start creating PCRs...........

Dan

Message 10 of 12

12-10-2004 07:56 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Don't push it Hans cuz I have enough work for Germany!!!!

ChrisWard2k2

Message 11 of 12

12-10-2004 10:02 . am   |   View his/her posts only
XAML looks promising. Looks like the future is XAML + C#.......

Dan

Message 12 of 12

12-10-2004 11:49 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Yes Chris I agree XAML is like CSS in HTML gives very powerful layout control for various devices quite enable XAML ready browsers to render the application in the browser thats remarkable.

Of course to change VX GUI to XAML and C# isn't the simplest think to do and the technology will start to kick in only in the middle of next year but definitely is a huge step ahead in GUI design comparable with introduction of CSS in HTML.

I hope we will have time next year to investigate it proper. I believe Dev Studio 2005 will have it so will be possible to developed applications using it. Anyway to first OS to support it natively will the new Windows in 2006 but this doesnt mean Win2K or WinXP will not support it.
See also
X