CAD/CAM discussion forum > 3D CAD/CAM > Z3_2012 - Sketcher User Interaction Improvement

Z3_2012 - Sketcher User Interaction Improvement

Subscribe Topic

Paul

Message 1 of 6

Z3_2012 - Sketcher User Interaction Improvement
30-07-2012 07:31 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Hi Team, I understand the principle idea behind the interface is that rather than closing dialogues, you can choose the next action which will automatically close the last dialogue. This is all good, except it there is a flaw in the system as it stands now.

In particular in Sketcher there are a lot of dialogues that still have to be directly cancelled or you have to go to the toolbar to pick the next action. This is a bit of a nuisance when you are used to this interface being a RMB driven arrangement.

What I suggest is that the Right Mouse Button should bring up the standard RMB menu so this can be used instead of having to go to the toolbar. There are other interactions possible that would really improve the workflow speed and ease in sketcher, which is where most time is spent.

e. g. You add a constraint, then immediately want to change a dimension, so you should be able to double click on the dimension and start the edit without closing the constraint dialogue.

Ctrl-Z should also close dialogues and undo simultaneously.

I would like to be able customise the RMB Menu much easier too.

If others have different and other suggestions, let's hear them.

Cheers - Paul

William

Top Influencer

Message 2 of 6

30-07-2012 06:27 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Hi Mudcrab,

Let me confirm some points for you.

1. If you want to cancel the dialog box, how about use the "Esc" key, or some users don't want to use the hot keys?

2. For V17 version, it will alow users to customize the RMB Menu.

3. Ctrl-Z should can use when you in the dialog box, it's really good suggestion, we will think aobut that.

4. "You add a constraint, then immediately want to change a dimension, so you should be able to double click on the dimension and start the edit without closing the constraint dialogue"

I think it's good suggestion too, it looks like the software can jupm to different command when you pick different entities even you are staying in the dialog box.

But it seems to other problem will be happen, if the user don't know what I should pick for the current command, like for the constraint dialog box, in fact you just can select the line gemotry but not the dimension, but like what you said, we can select the dimension and jump to the dimension edit. If the selection just the mistake operation. It also has the problem for some basic /new users.

What do you think about that?

Dave

Message 3 of 6

30-07-2012 10:53 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Good Morning William and Paul,

Just an observation, it is more ergonomically friendly to do everything with either the mouse or Keyboard, but not both. While we always have to use the keyboard to enter values (numbers) and text, almost everything else is done with the mouse. The more robust the RMB is, the easier it is to do things with the mouse. I have a true three button mouse, so I used to double click the middle mouse button to end an operation. Closing a dialogue box when opening another is a very good thing, but, in really needs to work with all the dialogues. Closing dialogues with the middle mouse button may not be as good as closing dialogue with the RMB menu because more and more mice are losing the center mouse button, even when substituting the scroll wheel.

Dave

Paul

Message 4 of 6

31-07-2012 08:18 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Hi William, thank you for the detailed reply.
Understand the Esc. (I think Dave's comments actually explain my style better than I have) A lazy left hand often with parts in it's grasp. And I have a 5 button trackball but adding Esc to the Key is not readily achieved.

Good news re V17 if only I knew what it was. VX used Versions but ZW canned that in favour of year releases. So we need some consistency to avoid confusion. Is V17 the next one or the one after that?

Ctrl_Z is a Windows standard for Undo and it was shock to me that it didn't function with a dialoge open. So it needs more investigation.

Re RMB. What I am seeking with this suggestion is a way of getting ot the highly used commands without going via the toolbar and lifting my focus from the model. By seeking to do this I am trying to comply with the next action principle which I have come to like.

I think the real problem now is in the fact that the interface is not consistent.
There are some dialogues that close with MMB, some that are require Esc or Cancel and some that allow RMB. This variation means I do not have a standard response, I have to remember what works for what or I waste effort with things that don't work.

I think Dave is exactly right. We end up with styles or work which is driven a lot by the software we use. VX was definitely mouse focused which was one of it;s power features and part of the fun.

When I have experimented with ACAD clones etc. the requirement to use the keyboard all the time is the big frustration and drives me back to my 3D mouse centric home.

IMO
Mouse centric - smart intuitive software is the only way forward.
The options are limited to:
Good distinct icons with instant recognisability across languages. Simplicity and clarity are key elements.
Arrangement of tools for rapid workflow - most often used at the easiest ot access locations.
Elimination of redundant operations.
Intuitive workflow - everything you can do is easily achieved.
Consistency good experience through all operations.

I think the tools are all here, it really a matter of getting control of the approach and applying it consistently.
The new GUI is a big move in the right direction once the ease of customisation is available for everything.
However I think the original setup should be so slick that customisation is not a big deal.
This is something ZW needs to get very good at.

I am interested to hear which way is Z3 headed?
Cheers

William

Top Influencer

Message 5 of 6

31-07-2012 10:44 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Dear Paul,

Thank you so much for your kind reply. The V17 version is the inner version we call it which is the 2013 version for the public.

I totally agree with your opinion.

Mouse centric - smart intuitive software is the only way forward.
The options are limited to:
Good distinct icons with instant recognisability across languages. Simplicity and clarity are key elements.
Arrangement of tools for rapid workflow - most often used at the easiest ot access locations.
Elimination of redundant operations.
Intuitive workflow - everything you can do is easily achieved.
Consistency good experience through all operations.

I think it's the right direction of develoment, which is also the goal we want to achieve for 2013 version. We will keep on moving and close to it: Smart and intuitive operation what let designers focus on the design model/entities but not the operation method.

That would be very great if you can give us more suggestions about the feture improvement. No matter the big principle or the small detail.

Cheers William

Paul

Message 6 of 6

31-07-2012 11:22 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Reply 5# William_ZW3D

Hi William, I think suggestions for new zones should be in new topics. Cheers - Paul
See also
X