CAD/CAM discussion forum > 3D CAD/CAM > Sheet metal cut and fold drawings???

Sheet metal cut and fold drawings???

Subscribe Topic

Paul

Message 1 of 9

Sheet metal cut and fold drawings???
27-08-2012 12:45 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Hi Guys, trying to figure out the best way to produce DXF files for laser cutting and folding of SM parts.

SWx provides a RMB shortcut directly from the part which is really slick.

ZW can DXF face/s but a folded part has many faces so it's tedious to pick and you get line dupes.

From a drawing - the output is good as you can choose to select just what you want.

The problem is - none of the options provide bend lines as far as I can tell.

I am keen to hear how others do this or am I missing something obvious???

Is there an easier way???

Cheers

William

Top Influencer

Message 2 of 9

28-08-2012 10:44 . am   |   View his/her posts only
My temporary solution is creating the bend lines firstly in 3D enviroment. I don't how other peopele do. But the thorough solution is that the bend line should create in drafting automatically.

Mirko

Assistant Engineer

Message 3 of 9

28-08-2012 10:34 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Hi guys

I am so
esempio_sviluppo.png
2012-8-28 22:32

I prevents many problems of broken lines, usually the cam systems for sheet metal prefer the polylines
(babylon traslator)

Paul

Message 4 of 9

29-08-2012 05:07 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Hi Mirko,
can you please explain more.

So far I use a special template and add bend lines to flattened parts in the drawing. Then I Associate the lines with the view. Because each fold produces a new face, adding lines is easy as they snap to the middle of he face edge.
A different approach is to use the mediam line command and trim to edges if required.

Then export as a dxf drawing, I then check these in an external CAD program.
Cheers

Mirko

Assistant Engineer

Message 5 of 9

29-08-2012 01:54 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Ciao

i enclose screen with a best example
esempio2_siluppi.png
2012-8-29 13:49

The model development will hide all the lines of the folds and any bevels
Even if the drawing, the folder will not know if bend up or down and how many degrees , unless i fill the drawing of notes, but I see a loss of time and a chance to make mistakes

So I put the flat pattern and alongside the bent part adequately quoted
I hope that everything is clear , unfortunately use a translator

cia ciaoo

Mirko

Assistant Engineer

Message 6 of 9

29-08-2012 01:59 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
I forgot I usually an incision on the aesthetic side, otherwise once developed i have no way to tell which is the protected side of the sheet metal , other incisions i to define the direction of rolling or toward the treatment in the case of Willem Schot stainless brite

Paul

Message 7 of 9

29-08-2012 02:04 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Reply 6# mirko72

Hi Mirko, thank you - you are doing
just great - translator included.
OK, I understand all of that and agree it is a good method.

One DXF drawing with everything on it. The Sheetmetal people use what they need.

Cheers - Paul

cutter

Message 8 of 9

30-08-2012 06:24 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Reply 7# mudcrab

Hi Paul,
In general it is a good idea to send an example of the folded part with overall critical dimensions. I find that different shops will have differing die sets for their press brakes and they all seem to have a slight variation as to where the bend lines will be. Most of the time my vendors redo them anyway because it all has to be brought into whatever program they are using for their cnc lasers and brakes. While my overall dimensions may be accurate for their laser the bend lines are not for their die set radiuses. A manual shop will have another way of doing it. The addition of an example will eliminate extra phone calls and confusion every time and I generally send an extra file in ISO or whatever view is needed of the finished part with dims. In addition with the finished part shown you can also clearly do things like assign a polish side like you would find in something for food service.

A good straight brake sheet metal program will incorporate bend information in the DXF's or DWG's and you can set it up so the fabricator will see bends up or down and if needed the order of bending to.

Mirko

Assistant Engineer

Message 9 of 9

30-08-2012 09:44 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
ciao Cutter
I have attached the drawing of how i manage internally , rightly as thou sayest thou fall earlier by customers i send the step and I do not want to developments in 2D less than specific agreements and that the one who designs does not have the my tables fold where carryover matrices and factors K and X-rays to fold for each thickness
See also
X