CAD/CAM discussion forum > 3D CAD/CAM > Problems W/ VX & AutoCAD 2004 working together

Problems W/ VX & AutoCAD 2004 working together

Subscribe Topic

Donald

Message 1 of 10

Problems W/ VX & AutoCAD 2004 working together
28-02-2005 03:56 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
I often have problems when working with VX & AutoCAD 2004 together.
Windows XP is my operating system sometimes it will shut down for no apparent reason when I'm running both VX & ACAD.
Using only one program at a time is not an option.
Does anyone else have this problem?

Steve

Message 2 of 10

28-02-2005 04:06 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
I have the exact combination, and haven't experienced any problems like you describe.
Maybe you could give us a rundown of your computer hardware? Have the latest video card drivers? etc...

ChrisWard2k2

Message 3 of 10

28-02-2005 05:12 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Hi Chopper

Probably not caused specifically by either VX or AutoCAD. CAD programs are very demanding of the system, so running two at the same time is a bit of a test Your description points to the possibility of an unreliable RAM module. If it were only the applications, XP is designed to keep everything else going when one application throws a tantrum, but there is nothing XP can do if critical hardware fails. If you do a Google search you will find there are freeware RAM testers available. A RAM test needs to be continuous over several hours, so you might want to leave the test to run overnight. Of course, if your RAM is really bad, even the tester will crash

Robert

Message 4 of 10

28-02-2005 05:34 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Hi Chopper,

Do both VX and ACAD operate at the same resolution?

Sometimes switching between each can cause your graphics card to choke.

Mike

Message 5 of 10

02-03-2005 08:32 . am   |   View his/her posts only
I would suggest if you have a screensaver running that you at least temporarily set it to "none". See if this has any affect.

ChrisWard2k2

Message 6 of 10

03-03-2005 10:51 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Hi again Chopper

Please let everyone know how you got on. Is the problem still there?

Donald

Message 7 of 10

03-03-2005 03:56 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
There does not seem to be any certain action that causes windows to shut down when I'm using both VX and AutoCAD, sometimes it does it, sometimes it doesn't. I appreciate all the suggestions, time will tell if they work or not. If I continue to have this problem I will let you know.

Thank You

Donald

Message 8 of 10

07-03-2005 12:19 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
I have had windows kick me out again while using VX and AutoCAD.
It has done it twice now when I minimize VX. That is the only pattern to this problem I have noticed.

ChrisWard2k2

Message 9 of 10

07-03-2005 01:36 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Hi Chopper

Sorry to hear that this problem is so persistent. Did you get the chance to test your RAM? It might even be graphics RAM that is failing.

How big (MB) are the VX and AutoCad files you are working on?

Do either of them have a high entity count ( = more work for the grahics processor and graphics RAM)?

Elsewhere on the forum, I have given advice concerning hardware "housekeeping". It is certainly a good idea to defrag your hard drives. Also, to reduce the work that XP has to do, set the Pagefile to be a static size instead of dynamic.

OldForumPost

Message 10 of 10

16-09-2005 05:25 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Although I am replying to an old thread, hopefully my input can help.

I had a similar problem, I noticed that whenever I used up to a certain amount of RAM, programs and the OS would start to fail. I ran a memory check and found out that specific areas of the memory were corrupt.

So in your case I am guessing that when both VX and Autocad are running, the memory gets used up to a certain point where it uses a corrupted area of the RAM and thus failure occurs.

Like it was said in an earlier post, test your memory with a good memory strees test. One good one I recall is called Prime95 and memtest86. Try a varity of them.
See also
X