Message 1 of 7
Note: The Record State in the context refers to Record Tiemstamp,or in the same way. Record Timestamp is used to be daily expression, and we use Record State as option name as an alternative.
Use the Reference Geometry to copy geometry from other parts in the assembly into the work part.
You can create either associative linked objects or non-associative copies. When you edit the source geometry, the associative linked geometry updates.
*Record state(Record timestamp)
Record timestamp is the most important option in Reference Geometry command.
Turn off this option (the defaul state is on), it will make the reference geometry keep current state, and the geometry will be affected when Parent component add following features.
Turn on this option, it can contorl the reference tracking from parent component to child component
* The working principle of Record timestamp
As we know, creating parametric modeling in single part, we have feature history to manager the modeling process.
With this feature history, desiger can easily know the design sequence and design relationship between different features.
For example, according the history we can check the dependencies including parent and child opertions.
*How about the situation in interpart modeling?
Looking from whole assembly, each component has independent history, and both of them are paratactic and isolated. It means that there is not any sequential and associated relationship between different components.
Using Reference Geometry function let different componets generate the associated relationship (creating either associative linked objects or non-associative copies)
But how to manager the sequential relationship? Record state(Record timestamp) work for solving this problem.
When reference some geometry from external component to currenct work part in assembly, Record timestamp can contorl the reference tracking. Which time notes and which operation in Parent component the designer was using Reference Geometry.
* The problem what we will meet without record timestamp.
For example, I suppose design a simple product what including the top and bottom cover with Top-Down Assembly Modeling method.
And I hope I can do the collaborative design in this project, because both top and bottom cover is in the same system, they have many featurs need to be reference each other.
Below is the final design achivement.
Design process shows as below.
1. Create the main shape in Top cover component, at the same time Bottom cover reference the face to create the main shape. And the Reference operation was created without record state.
2. After that, keep on making detailed modeling for those two componets in assembly.
3. The problem will happens when the reference face in Top cover was changed, such as this case, creating the lip and the pocket hole will change the shape of original reference face.
4. Without using Record timestamp, the reference face always be found from the final step in Top cover hitory, so regen the Bottom cover's history will fail, because the reference face has been modify by following features in Top cover.
The Extrude feature in Bottom cover find the incorrect face which is not complete loop face.All the following features behind the Extrude will lost parent independencies and unable to regen any more.
* How timestamp works in Reference Geometry command?
Below image can show how to use timestamp to control sequential relationship in Reference Geometry command
For previous version (2012), reference external geomtery in sketch also has not the ability to record timestamp, so it will cause the same problem as above, unless breaking the relationship between reference geometry and child sketch. Obviously, that's not the purpose of interpart modeling also unable to do Top-Down assembly modeling design.
We recommend users use Reference Geometry command with timestamp to copy geometry from external component to current work component. Even working in sketch enviroment, please use the same way to copy the geometry in space enviroment firstly, because this is the only way to record timestamp.
The video about Reference Geometry functions.
The article about how to use Refernce Geometry for Top-Down Assembly modeling design
Using Reference Geometry for Top-Down Assembly Design in ZW3D.pdf (1.45 MB)
The powerpoint about the instructions of Reference Geometry.
Reference Geometry functions.pptx (559.17 KB)
Message 2 of 7
Message 3 of 7
this is a very important post.
How do you make it remain easily findable for on the forum or is this explanation now in the HELP - where it should be?
kinda like we need a 'Starred' list for certain posts.
Message 4 of 7
#1) Does the reference geometry move when you file /Save As?
#2) When editing a Reference Insert, the dialogue shows the feature list, but there is no indication which file or object this is coming from? Should there be? Edit: OK - Now I see it below the feature....
#3) It would be good to add a marker of the original geometry when it has been referenced. e.g. Use a RH arrow head for 'from'(opposite to what you have previewed), use LH arrow head for 'to'(same as you preview, but should be on parent feature.
Cheers - Paul
Message 5 of 7
I have made some parts as described above - it all works well whilst editing within the assembly.
However if I edit the part directly, the Reference fails to regen. If I choose to Edit the Ref insertion, it previews the shape OK, wont allow me to pick it, shows blank in the shape filed, but still fails and reports this message:
ALERT: Unable to find reference feature [Fillet2] in [Part001] in order to restore the state recorded in [RefShape1].
Default settings updated.
So for now the WARNING is only edit in the place it was created. Well for shapes at least.
If I should doing something differently - I'd like to know.
Message 6 of 7
Message 7 of 7
1. No, after referencing, the geometry will be there all the time, expect you delete the parent geometry.
2. Good !
3. That's the enhanced funtions we are trying to achieve at next version, we should give a marker in the roginal geometry of parent part, that can let users easy know which geometry has been referenced. Also when you delete the "parent geometry" in parent part, it will give you a waring, since it will affect the child part.
Above are the furter functions we will offer.
- 3d cad design software
- wire rope design
- cad file viewer free
- cad forum
- Dwg Converter
- cad corner blocks
- 3D CAD/CAM Design Software
- How to Extend Objects in AUTOCAD
- How to Extend Objects in AUTOCAD
- mechanical drawing software
- unlock viewport
- autocad automatic saving command
- AutoCAD Installation Error 1603
- How to open an autocad file
- 3d vx cad software