CAD/CAM discussion forum > CAD > Image reference relative to drawing file path?

Image reference relative to drawing file path?

Subscribe Topic

Menno

Message 1 of 6

Image reference relative to drawing file path?
04-06-2013 03:27 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Post Last Edit by mgouw2702 at 2013-6-13 22:12

Hi,
I always work out my drawings local and upload it to a server. However the image paths are stored as a whole. Is it possible to store them relative to the .DWG file?

To clarify:
My image paths now look like this.
c:\project\ref_image\filename.jpg

On the server this does not change but the images and drawing are stored on a completely different drive and path. The drive letter even changes if we login from a different location within our network.

Is it possible to store the images like this (relative to the path where the .DWG is stored)?
\ref_image\filename.jpg

So it starts looking in the path where the .DWG is located.

Thanks,

Menno

Message 2 of 6

13-06-2013 09:55 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Reply 1# mgouw2702

Does nobody knows this? So it is essentially impossible to share raw files with people unless they make exactly the same folder/directory structure including drive name.
Still hoping for an answer, my workplace is not very structured on computers and i already have 5 versions of my drawing. When i change something i have to change 5 drawings or overwrite them and re-reference 30 images.

Menno

Message 3 of 6

14-06-2013 07:44 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Awesome, i just took the latest revision to my home and worked on it. I did not mess with any of the images linked in the document. Saved it and sent it to the office again. When i opened it up at the office almost all the reference links where gone. Weirdest thing is that some stay on S:\projectnumber\ref-photo and some went berserk and went to my folder at home c:\docs&settings\user\documents\project\ref-photo\...

It is time to call some people from my office to get a functional cad program, this zwcad is just a joke and costing me hours of work.

Jenny

Super Moderator

Message 4 of 6

24-06-2013 12:07 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Reply 3# mgouw2702

hi Menno, pls try to insert the image with relative path.
image-relative-path.jpg
2013-6-24 12:06

Menno

Message 5 of 6

27-06-2013 04:15 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Reply 4# Jenny_ZWCAD

Thank you Jenny this might be what i'm looking for. Is there a way to set this globally since i drag 'n drop my images often into my drawings. I never actually done it through attaching, hence i never seen that screen before. Isn't there a way to set this inside the image manager? Or has this to be done before you actually attach an image?

Jenny

Super Moderator

Message 6 of 6

03-07-2013 05:32 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Reply 5# mgouw2702

hi, I can't find any variable to set relative path as default for inserting image. So I think you need to insert them again to set relative path.
See also
X