X,Y,Z, Coordinate Label

Subscribe Topic

OldForumPost

Message 1 of 6

X,Y,Z, Coordinate Label
23-08-2005 09:48 . am   |   View his/her posts only
I was wondering if there is any way to label points on a shape with their respective X,Y,Z coordinate?

Example: I design a mold with an uneven parting line. After machining of the tool I want to verify that the steel has been cut to the CAD data as close as possible to minimize the amount of time it would take to spot the tool. So to do a quick check I drop some random points on the surfaces of the CAD data. I then plot out the XYZ coordinates of these points on a print for the NC operator (or CMM operator) to check with his pick up probe. Another use for this might be for Electrode Location prints. I currently make Electrode locations sheets using the 'Hole Table' function. This does not allow me to do XYZ coordinates (3D coordinates never seem to work) for the electrodes and quite often the Hole Table fails to plot the XY accurately.

Could a Macro be made to do this if there currently isn't a way to do it?

ChrisWard2k2

Message 2 of 6

24-08-2005 07:51 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Hello Nivec

There is a free program, CmmIn, which helps you compare the CAD data with (CMM) point data verified from the cut part:

FREE DOWNLOAD

OldForumPost

Message 3 of 6

24-08-2005 09:35 . am   |   View his/her posts only

Originally posted by: ChrisW
Hello Nivec

There is a free program, CmmIn, which helps you compare the CAD data with (CMM) point data verified from the cut part:

FREE DOWNLOAD

Thanks. I had already downloaded that one. It is quite handy and we have used it a couple times to make modifications to our CAD data based on the CMM data.

What I really need is to go the other way. I want to make a print of XYZ locations of points. The same way you can use the Hole table but for points.

ChrisWard2k2

Message 4 of 6

24-08-2005 11:52 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Hi again Nivec

That will be the PointsOut program, also available for download. PointsOut can make an ascii file for your CMM/NC. You can save the data as a VX table file too if you want tabulated XYZ data on a drawing.

OldForumPost

Message 5 of 6

24-08-2005 05:34 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Hmmm. That sounds like what I want. I will give it a try.

Thank you.

Steve

Message 6 of 6

26-08-2005 12:04 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Hi Nivec,

Remember that on a variable parting line, the XYZ coordinate won't be much help to the CMM without the approach vector, (unless you're using a pointed CMM stylus) because you'll always have a cosine error which will make the part will appear "heavier" that it really is. A couple of years ago I wrote a macro that extracts the surface normal for each inspection point then generates the actual program code for the CMM. This code can be cut and pasted into a CMM program as text. Of course, this depends on the type of CMM you're using. Let me know if you're interested in more info about this.

Steve
See also
X