CAM Question - Turning

Subscribe Topic

Mattyvdv

Assistant Engineer

Message 1 of 2

CAM Question - Turning
19-06-2013 06:01 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Hi guys,
Quick question regarding turning programs in ZW. Currently we just program our lathe (Doosan Lynx 300M) at the machine using the Fanuc controller. I was wondering a few things about programming in ZW to possibly speed up programming time.

A: Does ZW Support "C-Axis" Milling/Turning cycles?
B: Do people find it is easier to program with ZW or at the machine?
C: Being a relatively new feature to ZW are there any bugs or things to be careful of when programming in ZW?

Thanks in advance for any responses i get.

davej

Assistant Engineer

Message 2 of 2

19-06-2013 10:09 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Like most because it's new I don't have a lot of experience with turning in ZW3D. I do have some though.

A) Don't think the term "C-Axis/Milling tuning cycles" is the normal way of referring to C-Axis related cutting on a lathe. Cycles in lathe programming have typically referred to the very simple and common things such as drilling, boring, tapping and a few related things. Important is the these are on center operations. Or said another way X is on 0(zero), the tool comes from the end of the part, and Z is moved along the Z axis to create the depth.

The ability to come in from the side with a moving or stationary tool is another cutting style that typically would use the C-axis (spindle) rotating or positioning to cut slots, flats, rotationally spaced holes, and so on.

This is typically called mill/turn or turn/mill and ZW3D at this time does not support this. It would be a natural progression for a CAD/CAM product to add that capability some day.

B) No real answer for this as it really has to do with the skill of the machinist, the skill of the CAM programmer, the complexity of the parts, is it a production or a prototype shop, and whether or not the machinist standing at the machine and plugging in the CNC program while it's not moving is considered as a problem.

In theory programming the part away from the machine in a CAM program and giving it to the machinist for them to make the final adjustments should be better. In practice some of the above things can cloud the theory.

C) I haven't run across any show stopping bugs. Post-processing though always needs to be addressed as something that if not handled properly could cause delays or a series of irritations. A single generic Fanuc style post processor for a lathe is provided. So the question is will that post-processor output the appropriate code for your Doosan. This is a toss of the dice. If the output is close that's good. Otherwise extensive amounts of editing (prone to error) by the machinist could be necessary. This would not be good.

So chances are that you may need to be capable of editing/modifying the existing post-processor, you may need to hire someone to do that for you, or you may need to run the C/L output though a third party processor.

Thanks
See also
X