CAD/CAM discussion forum > CAD Tutorial & Tips > How Can I Recover AutoCAD Autosave Files? Change Autosave File in AutoCAD to DWG

How Can I Recover AutoCAD Autosave Files? Change Autosave File in AutoCAD to DWG

Subscribe Topic

ravier

Message 1 of 7

How Can I Recover AutoCAD Autosave Files? Change Autosave File in AutoCAD to DWG
24-06-2013 05:40 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
how to recover autocad autosave file? My computer just shut down without warning, i lost my revision, as i know autocad save temporary files automatically, I might be able to get my revision back by recovering from autosave file.
Any help will be appreciate, thanks in advance.

SLW210

Message 2 of 7

24-06-2013 05:46 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Reply 1# ravier

You can recover autocad autosave file by this way, because autocad save dwg file automatically with ac$ as default extension, just find the *.ac$ file and change ac$ to dwg. AutoCAD's autosave file is saved in this folder: C:\Users\[User Name]\appdata\local\temp\.

Detailed steps about how to change autosave file in autocad to dwg:

Step 1. Go to the folder C:\Users\[User Name]\appdata\local\temp\ and find the file with *.ac$ as extension.
Step 2. Change the extension *.ac$ to *.dwg, it pop out a warming: "If you change a file name extension, the file might become unusable. Are you sure you want to change it?", click Yes button.

kmankov

Message 3 of 7

24-06-2013 05:47 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
can anyone tell me how to recover zwcad autosave file?

Jenny

Super Moderator

Message 4 of 7

24-06-2013 05:56 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Welcome to ZWCAD forum. Here is how to recover ZWCAD autosave file:

In case that you fail to save file when your computer power off suddenly, ZWCAD automatically save your drawing as a backup. The backup file with .SV$ as default extension. To recover auto save drawing from SV$, you just need to find the SV$ file from the folder “C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Temp”, and then change extension SV$ to dwg.

You can also set up the auto save setting, change this extension or time period for each automatic save. Enter command ‘options’ and got to ‘Open and Save’ tag, here you can customize the time period and file extension for automatically save backup.

ZWCAD+ is a good choice of 2D CAD software, take a look at the brief introduction from here:
http://www.zwsoft.com/zwcad/ZWCAD_Overview/

You might also like these posts:
how to open autosave file in autocad
how to turn off autocad autosave
where is autocad autosave location

ditric6951

Message 5 of 7

02-07-2014 11:50 . pm   |   View his/her posts only

RecoveryToolbox for DWG is able to recover deleted AutoCAD DWG files if it was deletedby accident, deleted from a reformatted partition, deleted partition byaccident, partition inaccessible, bad MBR, bad boot sector etc. Any kind ofAutoCAD .DWG files can be recovered by tool. All you have to to is to downloadthis program from http://www.dwg.recoverytoolbox.com/ and start to search your.DWG files now.

There areseveral methods how to try to open a corrupted AutoCAD drawing file.

Use theRecover command Open the file and press ESC key just before Regeneration/Errormessage, save to DXF, load, save as DWG, Audit Insert the complaining DWG as ablock into an empty drawing

Open/save the DWG in an older version of AutoCADor AutoCAD LT or Actrix

letyhiua1676

Message 6 of 7

21-08-2014 06:29 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Post Last Edit by letyhiua1676 at 2014-8-21 18:41

Step 1. Go to the folder C:\Users\[User Name]\appdata\local\temp\ and find the file with *.ac$ as extension.
Step 2. Change the extension *.ac$ to *.dwg, it pop out a warming: "If you change a file name extension, the file might become unusable. Are you sure you want to change it?", click Yes button. Step 3. You can use spec tool : Recovery Toolbox for DWG (http://www.dwg.recoverytoolbox.com/)

LindaC6208

Message 7 of 7

28-11-2014 05:43 . am   |   View his/her posts only

As one ofsolutions I can advise you to try to open your files in MS Visio, Compass or using another program which could open dwgfile. Or try to recover them using AutoCAD recovery function.

Also youcan read here about dwg file corruption: http://www.filerepairforum.com/forum/cad-tools/cad-tools-aa/dwg/561-how-to-recover-autocad-files-from-flesh-card

See also
X