Subscribe Topic

OldForumPost

Message 1 of 4

VX Rules!
26-09-2005 05:57 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
I am a recovering 7 year SolidWorks user. What stopped me from using VX sooner? Well, the companies that I worked for used SW so I didn't have much of a choice. I knew about VX but always thought it was more expensive than ProE so I didn't really look into it that much...until I started my own company. I was able to develop my own product development workflow from scratch. It includes what I believe to be the best modern technology has to offer in their respective fields, VX for modeling, Faro for measurement, and Geomagic for reverse engineering. I had many requirements for the modeler but my requirement of importing 30+ MB mesh files (STL) from Geomagic quickly narrowed my choices because all others fell on their faces or came to a near halt except for VX and ImpactXoft. I consider having VX a competitive advantage. I would love VX to be more popular but that would mean my competitors would most likely use it too!

Best of luck to all fellow users and remember to spread word about VX.

Steve

Message 2 of 4

26-09-2005 08:07 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Clintonyee,

I completely agree with your assessment of VX. It has offered me a competitive advantage at three different companies (I brought it with me as I moved around over the years). It is really baffling to me that it's not wildly popular. Part of me wants it to stay a secret, but clearly it would be better for all if it became as prevalent as it is technologically impressive.

Steve

Kevin

Message 3 of 4

27-09-2005 03:07 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
The reason why VX is not popular is maybe down to its history - starting as it did as a Unix product as Varimatrix (I know many in the UK still think of it along those lines) and the fact that other CAD companies just seem to get more marketing mileage than others. Looking through the pages of many publications month after month you could be forgiven for assuming there were only 2 apps available these days - Inventor and SolidWorks.

Also, I have to say, VX as a company are remarkably quiet on new releases. Even on the VX website there is no real splash on VX 11! I've not seen a single press release in any online or printed newsletter announcing v11. Why? Compare this to SolidWorks, say, where every week I get a press release (I'm on some kind of SW list!) announcing how such and such a company have just bought x hundred seats, and such and such a person from xyz inc thinks SolidWorks has given them the competitive advantage etc etc.

As a designer/owner/specifier none of this interests me but it does raise awareness. What I would really like to see though are features that the likes of PTC and UG used to do showing how a well known product was designed in their software and the workflow involved (and how the various features in the software aided this). Its kind of liberating to be told so and so designed this product 100% in ABC software. Its also interesting to see such models as sample files in the software! Nothing like a history tree to teach you how to model!!

I've worked in marketing and sales, as well as product design (well half the time its one and the same!!) and I know there is no easy answer, but I do think at the very least we could perhaps make more of a fanfare about the product when it does go to a major release....

OldForumPost

Message 4 of 4

28-09-2005 03:46 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Talked to a committed(??) SW user yesterday, showed them the surfacing tools and ... blew them away! The next project will be done with VX.

Have you guys seen the new manuals? Awsome stuff! The response from new users is "Thanks for the effort. This really puts me in the fast lane."

Great work behind the scenes.

See also
X