CAD/CAM discussion forum > 3D CAD/CAM > LOOK AT THIS! Sketch Clipbd Lib UPDATED with one-click toolbar

LOOK AT THIS! Sketch Clipbd Lib UPDATED with one-click toolbar

Subscribe Topic

ChrisWard2k2

Message 1 of 18

LOOK AT THIS! Sketch Clipbd Lib UPDATED with one-click toolbar
20-11-2002 11:12 . am   |   View his/her posts only
The attached VX File is metric (see below). It consists of a number of useful, fully constrained Sketches. The best bit is, these require only a right-mouse click and paste and off you go I put this file together based on the idea of one of our customers, Unilever's Thananchai Kumsom.

To set this up, copy the file "SketchClipBoard.VX" to your User's default folder (which will be the Archive folder on a bog-standard install).

Now, when you are modelling an object, create a new Sketch as per usual, then in the Sketch pop-up the right-mouse-click menu and select "Paste". First time you do this, you will need to browse to the SketchClipboard file (thereafter, it is there waiting for you). Watch the "How To" movie attached (you will need to run the included "TSCC.exe" to add the movie codec to Windows Media Player).

Did you already download the file? I have uploaded a new improved version - More Sketches, smarter constraints

Updated again! More Sketches! By the way, looking for a volunteer to create another SketchClipboard file, changing the dimension values to ones that are more suited for the "inches people" out there.

ChrisWard2k2

Message 2 of 18

20-11-2002 11:44 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Oh, by the way, there are one or two non-constrained sketches in the library for use with Variational Sweeps. If you need help to use those, ask and it shall be delivered!

Chris Ward
Ee By Gum

OldForumPost

Message 3 of 18

20-11-2002 06:20 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Interesting...

What is the advantage of using the Clipboard as opposed to Copying in an External Sketch?

I have used a VX file called VX Sketch collection in the past to imitate this type of operation. The VX Sketch file is a group of root sketches that I copy into other parts as needed using the Edit > Copy > External Sketch. One of the benfits to this technique is the ability open the VX Sketch file and make modifications to any one of the root sketches.

When I open the SketchClipBoard.VX file there are no parts. How is this so? How did you create the SketchClipBoard.VX file and populate the clipboard?

Very cool use of the Paste command, I like it!

SoCalSwami

aka Mike Hallack
West Coast AE - USA

ChrisWard2k2

Message 4 of 18

21-11-2002 06:08 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Using the clipboard method is more intuative in my view. It allows you to work the way you are used to with the geometry creating functions. Using a Copy from a Root Sketch File, you have to collect the Sketch from that file and position it, and edit it, before you can even fire-up the geometry creator such as the extrude command. Using the Clipboard method, you initiate the process (e.g. Extrude), create the Sketch and then, in the Sketcher, you can decide whether you need to define the shape a-new or paste an existing shape from the Clipboard . Pasting from the clipboard is less hassle, less clicks and it's easier to position the shape.

You can't see any objects in "SketchClipBoard.VX" because, well, there aren't any that can be seen It is not necessary to pre-define sketches in the file, you simply add those that you deem to be useful "on the fly", from any file that you are working on at the time.

How to add a Sketch to your version of "SketchClipBoard.VX":

1) In any file, define your new sketch.
2) Select Edit/Copy, right-mouse pick all, Enter.
3) Via the Options panel, browse to "SketchClipBoard.VX"
4) Give the Sketch a meaningful name
5) Enter the datum origin (usually 0,0)

That's it! File Save All and you can recall that Sketch Shape for future use at any time. Although I have concentrated on obvious, popular shapes, you can store a Sketch that you know you will only use a couple of times and then later erase it from the clipboard list. Hats off to the developer that coded the clipboard - pure genius.

If anybody out there has a good sketch shape that they can share with the rest of us, please post it as a Root Sketch so that we can add it. If anyone has a useful shape that they can't constrain, post that too and we'll constrain it for you.

Chris Ward
Ee By Gum

Mike

Message 5 of 18

06-12-2002 11:09 . am   |   View his/her posts only
This is cool!!

I hope all the sales guys have seen this and understand its power. I would imagine that bottle designers start out with very similar sketches for each new bottle. This would be a huge time saver. We need to get everyone on board here. Training; Sales; Support. I know that I will be passing this info on to existing customers.
Thanks for sharing Chris. I will build a similar file for 'inch' folks after the holidays. You have your volunteer.

"Somebody stop me!"...Jim Carry, The Mask........

OldForumPost

Message 6 of 18

06-12-2002 11:19 . am   |   View his/her posts only
I will be giving a demo tomorrow for a guy who makes aerospace part fixtures and needs an easy way to load several hole patterns he always uses. Guess what I'll be showing him! Sketch, Paste, Extrude, Done!

OldForumPost

Message 7 of 18

08-12-2002 11:06 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Great suggestion for building a library of sketches. I've used the "copy" and "paste" tool previously for sketches within a file.

ChrisWard2k2

Message 8 of 18

13-12-2002 05:42 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Thanks Mike, wonderful things those inches. Speaking to Mike Burns, there is a config to point VX at saved Bundle files in v7x. The Clipboard Library isn't a bundle so I'm requesting an additional config line. With this in place, the User wouldn't even have to browse to the file, just click and paste.

ChrisWard2k2

Message 9 of 18

13-12-2002 05:46 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Hi, I started my engineering in the aircraft industry and wrote the Hole Wizard macro with aerospace users in mind. They do also need capability for even hole pitching along curves, I will add that in time. What hole patterns does your customer regularly use?

OldForumPost

Message 10 of 18

17-12-2002 11:26 . am   |   View his/her posts only
My prospect does airfoil reverse engineering and makes molds from the data. He has several mold holding fixtures he uses that require a standarized bolt pattern. I have not seen the pattern yet, but I will pass it along once I get it for those interested. Happy Holidays!

OldForumPost

Message 11 of 18

09-01-2003 11:07 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Just in case you don't have this, I attached a root sketch of the VX Logo that you can paste to your sketch clipboard file. It is not constrained, but what I do is paste it in move it and scale it. I use it in the spray bottle demo for putting our logo on the side of the bottle.

This clipboard is nice. Thanks for posting it.

Jarrod

OldForumPost

Message 12 of 18

13-01-2003 12:12 . pm   |   View his/her posts only

Attached is a fully constrained sketch of a Pushup Area for the bottom of a Plastic Bottle. I use it in the Blow Mold Bottle Demo.

Jarrod

ChrisWard2k2

Message 13 of 18

14-01-2003 05:58 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Nice one thank you!

Mike

Message 14 of 18

23-01-2003 01:56 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Better late than never. But wait....I did say, "..after the holidays..." and this is after the holidays.
Again, thank you Chris for the great idea. You demo types should like this, whether it is in mm or inch.
I have attached the "Lynch inch clickboard." Take a look!!!!!!

OldForumPost

Message 15 of 18

27-01-2003 12:36 . pm   |   View his/her posts only

ChrisWard2k2

Message 16 of 18

29-01-2003 11:44 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Hi everybody. While we are waiting for Clipboard Libraries to have their own config line (so that you don't have to navigate to the file), here is an idea. Save your Clipboard file as the Templates.VX file. This way, you need only select Templates.VX from the top drop-down list of the Objects List to see your Library. Once the libraries have their own home, this is how you would access them.

ChrisWard2k2

Message 17 of 18

11-03-2003 01:59 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Hi all. The library has been greatly improved and also expanded to 40+ sketches. We now have a bolt-on toolbar called "Ready Sketch", each sketch has it's own icon so: one click -that's it! For more details please go to the "Other VX Discussions" forum.

OldForumPost

Message 18 of 18

11-03-2003 02:55 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
WOW!! You've been busy!!

I can't wait to pull down the extras CD.! I'll give it try after my trip.

CHEERS!!
See also
X