CAD/CAM discussion forum > ZW3D CAD > multiple configurations in ZW3D?

multiple configurations in ZW3D?

Subscribe Topic

Tim

Message 1 of 16

multiple configurations in ZW3D?
04-12-2013 10:55 . am   |   View his/her posts only
I'm curious if there is a way to make multiple configurations within a part or assembly model in ZW3D for making multiple design studies. An example would be to have a part that consists of 2 configurations, one where the part is undrilled and one where the part is drilled. I'm using ZW3D 2012 standard. I've looked into the session management tools functionality of ZW3D but I do not believe this is the right tool to do this type of thing. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Lynn

Message 2 of 16

16-12-2013 02:14 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Hi, Tim

You must try their new ZW3D 2014 Beta, it include the nice part configuration, which provide the possibility to control the parameters you mentioned.

Lynn

warren

Message 3 of 16

01-04-2014 01:39 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Reply 1# timw

Hi Tim,
In 2012 the closest thing you can do is have a master part. Then make a new part / assembly and insert the part. Merge then make your changes. It's not like you're use to in solidworks. Ijust got 2014 and they have it like sw configurations.
See you at the shop

Warren

davej

Assistant Engineer

Message 4 of 16

01-04-2014 08:15 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Post Last Edit by davej8835 at 2014-4-2 06:15

Reply 3# warrensb

Warren and Tim,
There is about a 3 minute video on YouTube that shows this new functionality in ZW3D 2014. It's very much like in the mid-range modelers. Assign configuration names and turn on and off features at the part level, control dimensions of features at the part level, choose which configuration you want to use in drawing views, and choose which configuration you want to use in an assembly.

http://youtu.be/2p3biCI7k4s

Dave J

warren

Message 5 of 16

04-04-2014 03:51 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Reply 4# davej8835

Dave,

I have been playing around with the new config tool. It doesn't allow me to enter sketch dimensions. Only what is driven within the geometry command. Also, it appears they left it in metric.

More testing on the way.

davej

Assistant Engineer

Message 6 of 16

04-04-2014 06:12 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Reply 5# warrensb

Warren,

They did not show in the video how you can configure sketch dimensions. Lets pretend for example you've created a block. You then extrude a pocket into the block. Your desire in different configurations is to change both the size and/or location of the pocket. You must first display the dimensions at the part level. After you leave the sketch level and after you complete the extrusion at the part level either double click on the feature in the manager or in the document aware toolbar click on the dimension/on/off icon. You can then with dimensions showing select one or more dimensions, right click and choose configure dimension. This will put those dimensions in the configuration table. A bit clumsy but it does work.

The following is for ZWSOFT tech support to look at:

I had previously missed this but yes as you experienced also they have some work to do as it absolutely does when your working in inches put only metric equivalents of inch dimensions in the configuration table.

warren

Message 7 of 16

04-04-2014 08:16 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Reply 6# davej8835

Hi Dave,

The workaround I have used is add a variable for each sketch dimension. I can't add the sketches directly but I CAN add the variables. Also, the variables are all (x)25.4 so they come out in inches. I just made a part with 5 different options and a drawing and it worked. I will try again getting sketches directly to the configuration manager. I tried and tried how the video shows but it's not working.

Next post. The CAM bugs. Oy Vey!

davej

Assistant Engineer

Message 8 of 16

04-04-2014 12:12 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Reply 7# warrensb

Warren,

I'm able to accomplish everything that's in the video. The problem is that the video only shows adding features and the dimensions that drive the size of features if you for example use the box command in the shape tab or the hole command in the shape tab. The video does not show adding dimensions to the table that drives the location of the features. For example in my previous description I locate the corner of the pocket a certain dimension in X and Y from the origin. In the case of creating the pocket with the extrude command the only thing the extrude command controls is the depth (start and end depths). The size and location of the pocket is driven by 4 dimensions created at the sketch level. The X pocket length, a Y pocket height, and to locate the pocket an X dimension from the origin to the corner of the pocket and a Y dimension from the origin to the pocket. You have to be able to add these dimensions that you create at the sketch level to the configuration table. So you from the part level show these dimensions you created at the sketch level, right click, and choose configure dimension. It sends them to the configuration table.

I also did experiment with and I like your workaround of creating a variable to convert to inches. This needs fixed though as you should not have to convert dimensions to variables.

Tim

Message 9 of 16

05-04-2014 09:31 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Reply 3# warrensb

Hi Warren good to hear from you. Yes I am also playing around with the new 2014 software and its ability to make configurations. I'm liking what a see.

Tim

Paul

Message 10 of 16

06-04-2014 12:17 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Dave, you are ahead of me.
I couldn't get sketch dimensions in to config.
And I couldn't get variables to regen correctly in an assembly.
IMO adding sketch dims needs to be much easier from the config. table.
A lot of my work is with models created in older versions so I am wondering if that contributes to my challenges...

Another issue I haven't figured out is how to change the part config from within 2D? You can set if if you are very savvy on adding a view - needs to be more obvious than it is, but after that I do not see any option for changing it.

If we could duplicate a drawing sheet then change the config within the sheet. Then making numerous version drawings would be a cinch.

Config used needs to be available as variable for inclusion in 2D templates. Why it is not is a mystery. Makes me wonder sometimes...
Cheers - Paul

Tim

Message 11 of 16

06-04-2014 10:18 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
I am able to add dimensions to the configuration panel as Dave has explained and it seems to work just fine other than all the dimensions showing as metric. It is a bit strange they cannot be added directly from the panel. Maybe they thought it would be to confusing trying to identify which dimension drives what geometry in the sketch without giving each one a specific label such as width, length, and so on. It would be neat if when the "add dimensions" selection is picked from the configuration panel it would automatically toggle on the part dimensions allowing multiple picks directly from the GUI. When the cell block for the dimension is picked from within the control panel the model dimension its associated to should highlight so you know what its driving, and its name could be changed accordingly all from one location.

davej

Assistant Engineer

Message 12 of 16

07-04-2014 02:00 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Reply 11# timw

Very glad to hear that you were able to accomplish adding dimensions to the panel.

In my opinion the workflow to get there is a bit clumsy.

If we need to go through all these hoops and experienced users can't make it work then there is room for improvement.

This is common for the the initial adding of such an important capability and I'm confident that ZWSOFT will listen and simplify the workflow.

Paul

Message 13 of 16

07-04-2014 04:52 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Dave,
correct again. New feature - learning curve - refinement.
I tagged the sketch dimensions I wanted but could not find the tags. I will try again when I have the time.
Tagged dims could appear in a list which would simplify the process.

Equally , I can open the history of a feature, then pick the dimension I want from there as well as the graphical.

Cheers - Paul

Orchid

Super Moderator

Message 14 of 16

10-04-2014 11:02 . am   |   View his/her posts only
This is a very good discussion. Thanks for your feedback and suggestion.
About inch unit problem, it will be fixed ASAP.
On current version, we cann't directly get the dimension information from the model or the sketch exceprt for the varibale setting.
This is the first version for part configuration. It will be continue to optimized.

Tim

Message 15 of 16

13-04-2014 09:31 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Reply 14# orchid

Thanks Orchid.

Paul

Message 16 of 16

16-04-2014 06:15 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Fastest way to set up a config is to select the history items you want to suppress, then RMB over the selection and choose Configure Feature.
The selected history elements will be added to the Config.
Very cool.
Cheers
See also
X