CAD/CAM discussion forum > 3D CAD/CAM > Question on the Design Optimser

Question on the Design Optimser

Subscribe Topic

Kevin

Message 1 of 5

Question on the Design Optimser
28-04-2004 03:55 . am   |   View his/her posts only
I was looking at Mike's WebEx recording of the VX design optimser last night and noticed that the dimensions had been renamed as more meaningful variables such as height and width, but, in the VX sketch the actual dimensions remained as values. Coming from ThinkDesign to VX this is one area where TD is pretty good - you can make a sketch dimension a text variable and it shows up as such in the sketch. You just select the dimension in the sketch and rename it as the variable needed (eg width) and the sketch dimension changes to "width" rather than the value.

Is there a way to do this in VX? If not, then it would seem to be a logical progression / option for equations and design optimiser tasks.

BTW I'm looking forward to seeing the new morph tools in 10 - I missed the demo at Solid Modelling in the UK. Be interested to see how it compares to GSM in Think Design (which folks, I and many many others couldn't get to work effectively for most modelling tasks - way way too many issues with it and all it was there for was to hide the fact that so much of the surfacing wasn't associative).

Robert

Message 2 of 5

28-04-2004 02:12 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
One way to do this:

At eiyther the Sketch or Part level you can attach tags to any VX entity (including dimensions).

Select Attributes->Tags->Attach name tag to entity
Left mouse click on the dimension you'd like to name and enter its desired name.

The optimizer will use the new entity name.

Morphing rocks! It's even cooler now since the 2004 Solid Modeling Exhibition.

Mike

Message 3 of 5

28-04-2004 03:39 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
After attaching the name tags, if you were to Insert or Edit equations, there is a button near the lower-right named, "Display Dimension Value". There are choices here that allow you to display the variable name. You can also assign "Part Attributes" and define driving dimensions. The logical names you assigned show up here also.

ChrisWard2k2

Message 4 of 5

28-04-2004 09:26 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
If you apply Entity Name Tags, go to the View menu and tick "Labels". Now, when the mouse cursor hovers over an entity, the name tag is displayed.

Kevin

Message 5 of 5

29-04-2004 11:38 . am   |   View his/her posts only
I'm looking forward to this feature Bob - can't wait to see it. If you need any insight from an ex Think 3 user just let me know
See also
X