CAD/CAM discussion forum > ZW3D CAD > Take extra care of your dongle!

Take extra care of your dongle!

Subscribe Topic

Mattyvdv

Assistant Engineer

Message 1 of 7

Take extra care of your dongle!
23-02-2014 06:54 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Hi everyone,
I work in a office where multiple people sit at my computer desk from time to time. I recently sat at my desk to find a ZW alert message saying my licence was not plugged in. I looked down and to my disappointment someone had knocked my dongle and caused it to pop out of its case and wires were showing. I put everything back together and it worked thank god.
Now, as a bit of preventative maintenance i thought the smart thing would be to order a replacement dongle since i was unaware as to how long my fix would last and i assumed ZW would cancel the current licence and simply activate the new one when this arrives. Or possibly ask for a "hand in" of the old dongle. This is not the case. If your dongle is lost, broken or stolen you must pay the full price for a licence to replace it. I was quite shocked at this and am unaware if this is common practice?
So take extra care of your dongle everyone because last thing anyone would want is loss of production AND to pay full price of a new dongle if something happens to yours.

Cheers.

chris

Junior Engineer

Message 2 of 7

23-02-2014 09:34 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
this has been my fear since VX was sold, I dropped my dongle and it was buried under 20 ton of gravel before I missed it. I called VX explained what had happened and was promptly sent a new dongle, I did have to pay $60 plus shipping but not the full license price. I have a soft key license now and I did ask what would happen if my computer crashed and burned or was stolen. They told me after I would explain the circumstances they would issue a new license. I am not so sure now.

davej

Assistant Engineer

Message 3 of 7

24-02-2014 05:51 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Matty,

I think whoever you were dealing with in regards to your dongle dealings were either misinformed, not experienced in these situations, or perhaps didn't like or trust you.

The normal result in such a situation was described by Chris.

VX allowed Chris to replace his dongle and I'm sure that ZWSOFT would gladly do the same.

Exactly how it would work would vary depending on the circumstances. You may need to write a letter saying the old one was lost, or perhaps return the old one, and as happened with Chris some type of fee for the dongle plus shipping would likely be included.

I just don't believe that you would be forced to pay the full price.

Mattyvdv

Assistant Engineer

Message 4 of 7

24-02-2014 06:36 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Reply 3# davej8835

The way Chris described was exactly how i anticipated the process would progress. Hence the shock when i was informed otherwise.

davej

Assistant Engineer

Message 5 of 7

24-02-2014 08:56 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Reply 4# matthew8083

This is one of those things that if you strictly followe the legalities in the fine print it could be interpreted that a new license must be purchased if a dongle is lost or destroyed.

I've dealt with many variations of this lost/stolen/broken dongle stuff with a number of different CAD/CAM products and I've never seen a circumstance where the customer paid full price for a new dongle.

I'm not a ZWSOFT employee (I'm a reseller) and I can't speak for them but I have found them to be a pleasure to work with on licensing issues.

Colin

Manager

Message 6 of 7

25-02-2014 02:02 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Reply 1# matthew8083

Hi, Matty

Just as Chris and Dave mentioned, ZWSOFT has a internal procedure to deal with the licensing cases.

First of all, the dongle is very reliable, and it is rarely broken in the past. In case that the dongle is lost or crashed, please contact our local resellers you purchased from or ZWSOFT, we would be glad to help you to fill a form to get a replacement. Surely, the short-tern soft-key will be sent to you to continue working with ZW3D before the dongle replacement.

If it is soft-key, it is advised to return the license before you replace any hardware, if you forgot to return the license, you can still continue to activate the license and use recover button to fix the licensing issue from the license manager (Help menu< License Manager). Definitely, if you upgrade your Windows OS from Windows 7 to Windows 8 or Windows 8 to Windows 8.1, please remember to return the soft-key in advance in order to avoid any licensing issues.

Once you purchase the license from ZWSOFT, ZWSOFT write your licensing record in the database, therefore, please don't worry about the loss of your license. ZWSOFT is very pleased to help you with any licensing issue.

Best regards
Colin

Colin

Manager

Message 7 of 7

25-02-2014 02:10 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Reply 2# chris

Hi, Chris

Thanks for your explanation of the license replacement issue, we are still continuing the same procedure as we did in the past. Both of our valued resellers and ZWSOFT will immediately figure out the licensing issue and provide a quick solution.

Best regards
Colin
See also
X