Bending a solid

Subscribe Topic

Bob

Message 1 of 7

Bending a solid
07-08-2004 06:37 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
I am completely new to the program and would like to ask a few question about freeform curve and solids.
I mainly design molds for wakeboards, snow skis, snowboards, etc. (Using no associative freeform sofware) This is called compression molding. The big thing in this industry is the change from molded cores to cnc machined cores. These cores are machined out of light weight Divinacell in the flat condition. When they go into the mold they bend to the rocker shape of the finished mold cavity.
Here is my question: Does VX have the capability to design the actual finish mold in the flat position and then bend the rocker into the solid model. The advantage is that
you can design the mold flat, offset the solid inwardly for the fiberglass and outside top and bottom sheets, export the core solid and then bend the original model
into the final shape to make the actual finished part mold cavity .
There is a command in Pro Engineer called spinal tweak in which you define a shape with a spline and use it to bend the solid model. I have no idea how to use it but I have seen it done on wakeboards and it works pretty well. I am guessing the it is a "tweaking" process since you start getting into stretch like sheet metal parts but this isn't
going into space so things are a bit more forgiving.

Is there anything in VX that is simlar to this command or is there any requests for a command of this nature for future releases?

Is anyone out there building freeform shapes like this in VX. I could probably use some pointers on building this kind of thing in VX.

Thanks

Kevin

Message 2 of 7

09-08-2004 04:28 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Sounds like you are into the realms of Global Shape Modelling here. I think VX are introducing a new morphing command in v10 that may do what you need but I haven't seen it demoed yet so I can't say what it actually does. Before switching to VX I used ThinkiD from Think 3 which does exactly what you are after using Global Shape Modelling. Then again so does CATIA, Delcam's Powershape and most of the ACIS based modellers using deformable modelling. Certainly Ashlar-Vellum Cobalt (which I also use) has a global bend to spline command.

Maybe if you posted some screenshots of a before and after scenario the guys at VX could comment on whether or not the new VX v10 morphing can handle this?

Having used Think3's Global Shape Modelling for 2+ years it does work well - just a pity the rest of the app is not so good :-)

From what you are after sound like you need to deform a flat shape to a specific spline curve? The Think3 method is to match an existing spline to a new spline and define areas on the part that are changed and unchanged. The alternative method is to define a surface and tell it to match a new different surface.

Maybe VX could runa WebEx session to demo the v10 morphing features?

Robert

Message 3 of 7

09-08-2004 02:58 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Yup, I'm sure that our VX Shape Morphing will do the trick.

We've finished some videos that show Morph functionality (I think they'll be sent out this week as part of the Version 10 media kit).

Kevin

Message 4 of 7

10-08-2004 04:17 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Bob,

Can you put these videos onto the press area of the website for us all to see, or maybe as a link from this forum?

Robert

Message 5 of 7

10-08-2004 03:37 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
I've instructed our web guys to add the videos as soon as they complete the Version 10 media kit.

It'll probably take a week or so to get 'em posted since they may need to change the codecs to allow for better streaming.

BTW, we'll ship the media kits this week (they contain the videos and pics, etc.)

ChrisWard2k2

Message 6 of 7

11-08-2004 07:43 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Hi 3dcad

Sounds like the new morphing tools in VX were designed for you

I am curious about your manufacturing. The aircraft industry produces synthetic rubber components using compression molds. They are not so dissimilar to injection mold blocks. To cut them, you would may need to move up to 3axis (even 5axis) CNC. VX is already there, waiting for you.

Robert

Message 7 of 7

11-08-2004 12:35 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
I don't know what timezone your in... email me and I'll show you via webex how I'd do this in Version 10.
See also
X