CAD/CAM discussion forum > ZW3D CAD > Assembly Explode and other assembly challenges.

Assembly Explode and other assembly challenges.

Subscribe Topic

Paul

Message 1 of 4

Assembly Explode and other assembly challenges.
14-03-2014 11:20 . am   |   View his/her posts only
2014 has removed Explode Assy. Probably a good idea as it was hopeless anyway.

I am keen to know what is being planned re providing this essential feature?
And do you have any work around suggestions?

IMO you should be able to define the explode constraint when aligning.
There should be a default order starting with Concentric at the top level. e.g explode along the concentric axis.

Even Grabcad has a half decent Explode.

What does seem to be working well is Assembly cut - very useful - thanks.

Cheers

William

Top Influencer

Message 2 of 4

17-03-2014 12:06 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Hi Paul, thank you for attention. I will list some reason why we remove some operations for component on Assembly environment.

If record the operation "Insert component" on the top assembly, then you create some other features on the top assembly part, once the component was lost, your assembly part can't get through to the end. The same thing as the operation "Move, Drag" for component.
The operations for the component should not mix with the operations on the top assembly part. Both the operations "Insert component, Move component, drag component, erase component" were control the component existed yes or not and the position.

But in fact, the assembly position should control by the Alignment/constrains.

For example, in the real life, we assemble the car, I suppose that I assemble the Screw to the wheel hub by several steps, like I pick it up from the box, then hang it up then put it to the Thread position then I fix it.

you will not care about the position where I pick it up, where I hand it up, the only thing what I real need to know and only can be known is the final fixed position. It's the relation ship in 3D software call alignment.

I can list some detailed cases for you the problems and limitation for Recording the Insert component ,move component, erase component in history.

It really stop us to enhance ZW3D assembly functions, we can't do some more improvement or some advanced functions base on the old mode.

That's why we have to change it.

Hope that you can understand us and base on the new mode to submit the questions what we can did past of time but not now, we will do some more improvement or add some new functions to cover it.

Thanks.

Paul

Message 3 of 4

17-03-2014 02:44 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Hi William
in my experience we need two types of assemblies and we should not mix them regardless of the CAD unless it is history less.
One assembly we build the Top Down and use for references to other parts. This is called STATIC assembly. In this there is no need for alignment, and infact when creating new parts you cannot align except for Datums so you fix and often to Global 0. It's just easier - not necessarily gooder.

The other assembly is the DYNAMIC Assy. This can only occur after the part exists with some geometry to align.

We can edit parts in both but must be careful not to attempt dynamic location change in Static Assy as this can destroy relationships and nobody likes that.
So now we want to do an assembly drawing and we also want one configuration of the parts Exploded. We must use the Dynamic Assy or a copy of this is safer at present. e.g. DynamicXpld

Right now this not easily achieved except by manual edit of alignment part by part. Too hard and too slow. We need some help from the big brain in the computer because by the time I come to explode, so is my brain.

This is why I suggest we have a logic for exploded action to get started. This needs to be configurable in the same way as we do dynamic Auto Constraint - filtering the constraints applied.
So lets start simple and just have explode ask for fixed parent part selection. Could be one or many. Now we explode and just move the no fixed parts along the concentric axis the given distance form the part it was constrained to. No concentir constrain, then no move. Then we need an easy Drag Tool - less clicks - too many now. Click/Hold enables drag along the same axis with value option.
We establish a hierarchy of explode priorities then we get 80% of the job done quickly, we can live with hand operation of the last 20%. We also a want a video clip option that captures the animation of the part from Assembled to exploded. e.g. the transition from config to config.
We can refine the process from there.

IMO there has to be a smart way of managing explodes. The sooner the better.
Cheers - Paul(in a hurry)

William

Top Influencer

Message 4 of 4

18-03-2014 03:31 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Reply 3# mudcrab

Hi Paul, ZWSOFT company has the plan to improve assembly explode in 2015 version, I hope it can meet your requirement at that time.
See also
X