2 Quick Questions - 2D Sheet

Subscribe Topic

Mattyvdv

Assistant Engineer

Message 1 of 7

2 Quick Questions - 2D Sheet
16-05-2014 05:34 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Hi again all,
Just a couple of quick question i need sorted, little things which i have been meaning to ask for some time now. If anyone can shed some light on these that would be great.

Q1 - I have customized a 2D sheet to suit the company i work for and all looks great. I imported the company logo onto the sheet by clicking insert tab - insert image symbol. I needed to do this from the main 2D Sheet Screen as i could not see an option to insert an image when editing the title block.
My problem is, when i click the + symbol down the bottom to start a new sheet i lose all my logos. The title block comes across as it should however where my logos were is just blank. Any ideas how to make the logos come across when starting my 2nd,3rd etc sheet?

Q2 - When dimensioning a radius which is on anything other than a 90 degree angle. Is is possible to dimension to where the corner would be if there was no radius? I have attached an image showing dotted lines and a point of where i want to dimension.
Currently to get around this i manually draw guide lines to where the two edges would intersect. I put a point there and use the linear dimension tool to dimension from the point. The dimension which comes up is incorrect and i have to change it manually.

Image of where i want to dimension

Part001_2D.jpg
2014-5-16 05:32

Thanks in advance for any replies. I hope i clearly explained my issues.

Cheers.

Paul

Message 2 of 7

16-05-2014 06:40 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Hi Matty,

Q1. If you Logo is a Sketch shape it can be inserted into the Template no problem.
if it is a jpg, you can locate it as a background image in the template.
I prefer the sketch version. You can 'trace' the image within sketcher, add solids by making dense hatch fills etc. Then add it to your Symbol library and reuse any time any scale.

Q2. When adding dimension you can RMB/Intersection point and dimension directly to that. If you want to insert a visible point their, locate it by the same method, then Associate with the view.
Note. If you change the object the point may no longer be valid but the dimension will be

Hope I understood the questions correctly.
Cheers

davej

Assistant Engineer

Message 3 of 7

16-05-2014 07:25 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Post Last Edit by davej8835 at 2014-5-16 07:28

Reply 2# mudcrab

Matty,

I will expand a bit on the Q1 response. I faced and fixed the same problem you have which is the image on Sheet1 not showing when you click on the + to add a second or third or greater sheet. The reason it's this way is because it's very common on drawings that the second or greater sheets has a different (usually smaller and simpler) title block.

Here is how I handled this.

1. Open the drawing template of concern.
2. In the Manager for Sheet1 right click Title Block and choose edit.
3. In my case when it enters the edit mode it come up to the Sketch tab, to the right near the end of the icons is as Paul mentioned a command named Image (Create an image symbol or background). Execute that command to choose, place, and size the image.
4. Now click on + to add a second sheet.
5. In the Manager for Sheet 2 right click Title Block and choose edit.
6. Repeat step 3
7. Save the template and all should be well when you click on + to create your second or greater sheet.

On Q2 I handle it exactly as Paul described. Some programs call this a theoretical intersection. I right click, choose intersection, touch the 2 lines, and it snaps right there and stays associative if changes are made.

Mattyvdv

Assistant Engineer

Message 4 of 7

16-05-2014 07:53 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Reply 3# davej8835

Paul/Dave, thanks so much for the quick responses! Solved both my issues. I appreciate the help. You guys have solved many of my issues.

Cheers.

William

Top Influencer

Message 5 of 7

16-05-2014 10:27 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Paul and Dave really did a good job! Thank you for your effort.

Paul

Message 6 of 7

17-05-2014 05:04 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Hi Dave,
never considered adding a second page to the Template!
Are you saying this allows different title blocks etc. for 1st vs subsequent pages?
Cheers - Paul

davej

Assistant Engineer

Message 7 of 7

18-05-2014 01:52 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Reply 6# mudcrab
Paul,

I'm not saying it's common in today's CAD environment (with so many gross violations of drawing practices) but it used to be common for those that followed drawing conventions/standards to have a detailed title block on the first page and a simplified title block on the 2nd and greater pages. We used to call that simplified title block on 2nd and greater pages to be a continuation page/title block.

Sometimes not easy to figure out but the higher level CAD programs (this absolutely includes ZW3D) do their best to allow the user to follow those old convention/practices.

I think not many will need to do this (Matty is one) but there are a few ways to handle this in ZW3D.

1) As I suggested you can add more than 1 sheet with different title blocks to a single template. Create your drawing with that template and they will be there when you start the drawing with the part. Please don't forget as your doing this that you can copy, paste, and delete drawing sheets. I find this to be helpful in this multi-sheet drawing mode.

2) Another way to accomplish the same end result is to add a separate new template such as C_ANSI_Sh2 (name can be anything). So you create the drawing, your first sheet in the Manager would be Sheet1 C_ANSI, you then add a new sheet, it will default to Sheet2 C_ANSI, you then right click on the Sheet2 Sheet Format, choose Sheet Format Attributes, and swap the C_ANSI_Sh2 in. Again copy, paste and deleting sheets can be helpful.

So the end result whether you have a single template with multiple different sheets or whether you use multiple templates in a multi-sheet drawing is the same.

A bit confusing but it's gets the job done.
See also
X