karmo291794

Assistant Engineer

Message 1 of 5

zw3d2013 offset problem
21-05-2014 06:16 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Post Last Edit by karmo291794 at 2014-5-21 18:23

hello

i have problem with offset

first i made two lines then corner (R124)
then concatenate curves

now when i start offset that curve
it offset radius wrong
what i do wrong here?
or is somwhere my setings wrong?

zw3d2013 v17,10

Help
Best Regards
Karmo

davej

Assistant Engineer

Message 2 of 5

22-05-2014 07:23 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Reply 1# karmo291794

I'm assuming that in the sketch you created one line, created the 2nd line, and then put the fillet on.

When you put the fillet on in the dialog box "Use designer arc" must have been checked.

After you concatenated the offset command then offset the designer arc.

Had you not concatenated or had you looked closely before you concatenated you would have seen a dotted line representing the correct arc.

When you concatenate the dotted line goes away.

Try it again and make sure you deselect "Use designer arc"

If your not familiar with designer arcs do a search on "toggle arc type".

Paul

Message 3 of 5

22-05-2014 12:54 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Hi Karmo,
I wonder why you need to concatenate?
This is history 'less' action so you cannot edit without significant downstream modelling problems.
Have you tried the model without the concatenate?
You need to add constraints to the offset curves if you want them to move with the parent curves correctly. Just why this is not automatic is a mystery to me! But so are a lot of things.
I Custom add Inquire Curve Continuity command to my Sketcher Doc Aware Toolbar so I can quickly check if I think there might be an issue.

Cheers

davej

Assistant Engineer

Message 4 of 5

22-05-2014 10:10 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Reply 3# mudcrab

Paul brings up a good point regarding the use or not the use of concatenate. One of the things I find cool about ZW3D are the dramatically different ways it's used. Because of that this forum to me is a good learning resource. Back to the use of concatenate. I would value feedback from others but in my case I generally tends towards concatenate being a fix-it tool. Connecting edges of a dirty imported model or connecting edges complex curves in free-form modeling. As Paul suggested I would typically not use concatenate is a normal sketch. In normal simple sketches my way of modeling needs to have change flexibility. Concatenate turns multiple sketch entities into one and reduces that change flexibility. ???

Paul

Message 5 of 5

23-05-2014 01:26 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Hi Guys,
Dave uses Concatenate the same way I do.
Concatenate converts everything to a spline. It does require tangency to achieve a join or you get multiple curves. You can add tangency then re concatenate for a single curve.
Be warned: a Spline may or may not draft well. Sometimes is helps, other times it hinders. Depends of the actual spline radii etc..

Another use is to take ordinary geometry and soften it up a bit.
In this case I would usually make a second sketch that references the original plain sketch, then reference the arcs and lines etc., then break the links and concatenate.
This leaves an escape hatch if you loose it somewhere.

TIP. To tightly control a spline, create a point offset from the origin. Dimension the point XY from the origin. Now make the concatenate or spline, then Auto Constrain to the offset point. Remove ANY constraints (turn them off during the Auto Constrain)an d leave ONLY dimension control of spline points.
Now you have way controlling the location of the entire spline globally by moving the point.

Cheers - Paul
See also
X