Subscribe Topic

Eli

Message 1 of 14

FTP?
09-11-2004 10:28 . am   |   View his/her posts only
I've been trying to upload a file so that I can get it looked at, and I'm not really sure if it's getting through or not. The file is called Coastalmod_w_keel, and I have been experiencing some issues with the drawing sheet function. Section cuts are not possible for some reason, and there is an error that keeps coming up saying that certain surfaces could not be regenerated (the numbers of those surfaces changes everytime), and this is accompanied by "Unable to allocate memory."

ChrisWard2k2

Message 2 of 14

09-11-2004 11:29 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Hi Eli

That file sounds nasty - does it consist only of native VX data? Do you have a recent backup that you can go back to?

The sections problem is very likely related to the model problem. I cannot see your file on the FTP site, I will ask Mike Lynch if he has it in hand. How big is the file, and what VX version are you using?

Eli

Message 3 of 14

09-11-2004 11:53 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Hi Chris,
The file is 53 mb. I tried sending a zipped copy opf it last night, but that was not working either for some reason. The file does have some imported IGES surfaces. The original surfaces that comprise the hull, cabin and deck structures are the basis for the main part. All other non-native surfaces have been imported separately as features. I am using 10.22.
-Eli

ChrisWard2k2

Message 4 of 14

09-11-2004 11:58 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Hi Eli

When you say the IGES data has been imported seperately as features, do you mean that each IGES file resides in it's own VX Part Object?

Eli

Message 5 of 14

09-11-2004 12:11 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
That's correct. I imported the iges files into their own part objects, then brought them into the main boat part as features

ChrisWard2k2

Message 6 of 14

09-11-2004 12:17 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Hi Eli

OK, that's good data management and should help. Did you try the Root Object copy "rescue" that I posted for you the other day?

Eli

Message 7 of 14

09-11-2004 01:22 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Hmmm...no, although it did nothing to help the original error. I will check now though

Eli

Message 8 of 14

09-11-2004 02:32 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Ok...I did the fix object trick again, and it did not solve the problem. I will try to upload the file again to the server

Kevin

Message 9 of 14

09-11-2004 02:57 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Probably not related but I've just this last week handled a job for a customer who had trouble importing a powerboat cockpit into SolidWorks. They make powered sunroofs and need to get the surfaces from the boat designers to tailor the mechanism to the boat design. Anyway they get a lot of IGES files which always seem to cause them problems as (according to them) SW 2005 can't create drawings from these. SO I import them into VX and section them off and export back out as dwg files!

Anyway I was given a 10MB Rhino IGES that bombed out SW. I imported into VX 10.22 in a few seconds but it then takes 5 mins to create the 1 view plan drawing and sections are not always possible (run out of memory). I've checked the surfaces in other apps and get the same performance drop off. I've never had any issues like this from other apps in VX (or indeed Cobalt). I'm trying to find out what version/setting the IGES was exported under in Rhino. Anybody else noticed this with Rhino surfaces and or imported IGES into drawing sheets?

BTW I was running this on a Dell M60 laptop with 1GB ram at the customer site.

Eli

Message 10 of 14

09-11-2004 03:07 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Hmmm, that's interesting about the Rhino and IGES. What version of Rhino were you using? I have found IGES coming from Rhino to be pretty easy to work with, certainly so in the limited time I've been using VX. The IGES export options in Rhino are pretty extensive, but to export to VX, I've been using the Default without much of a problem. I haven't need sections from these surfaces though to be honest. As far as SW is concerned, I haven't used 2005 yet, but it has certainly been my experience that dealing with imported surfaces is not something previous versions program likes to do. So far, VX has handled itself very well in this area...(minus my ongoing erros of course :-)).

ChrisWard2k2

Message 11 of 14

09-11-2004 11:04 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Hi Chaps

For the benefit of the other forum Users, let's try to keep the threads "on topic". This thread is titled FTP but really it is a discussion about imported data......

ChrisWard2k2

Message 12 of 14

09-11-2004 11:14 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Hi Chaps

Some tips about imported surface data:

1) The Pro-E IGES flavour from Rhino seems to work well for VX.

2) The closer the 3D geometry is to being a nice clean Solid/Faceset, the better the performance in 2D layout.

3) When a section fails in 2D, try sectioning in 3D.

4) It only takes one problem surface to prevent the 2D sectioning from working. Occasionally, you may find that your section plane coincides exactly where two face edges meet, or on the seam of a closed face. This can sometimes be a problem - if possible, modify the position of the section plane.

5) Imported surfaces, especially complex surfaces, often have poor topology (way too many points used to describe them) - Pro-E and Delcam Power Shape being the worst amongst the worst You can also get very poor surfaces out of Rhino by setting an unrealistic tolerance, which simply results in more points being used to describe each surface. This is fundamentally wrong. The golden rule for smooth surface description is: "less is more". You can use the VX "reduce points" function to simplify the surface. This is calculated to a tolerance input by you so you have complete control. On large-scale surfaces, it can make a very substantial difference - I have seen the point count reduced by 85% on some surfaces!

6) Another "hidden" problem can be the surface normals record. If a surface fails to section, or has display problems, try using the "reverse normals" command. VX will then correct the surface normal record.

7) Another method of fixing imported surfaces that exhibit strange behaviour is to replace them. You can do this using the Offset Surface command - simply offset by zero, then erase the original surface.

8) Many systems define their geometry such that each trimmed face has an underlying (non-trimmed) surface. The User is often completely unaware that this is the case, because the underlying surfaces are not normally available to him. The snag is that in the hands of an un-skilled User, both sets of data get exported in the IGES file (Almost always happens with Catia exports!). The problem is made worst by the fact that some surfaces are almost identical to their related faces. Almost, but still a tiny bit different (edge position only) so not duplicates and therefore not removed by the VX import option "remove duplicate faces". Look out for these in Shaded mode. One of each surface-face pair needs to be erased.

You are never going to use your silver-plated letter opener to cut down trees. Likewise, it should be no surprise that solids modelers cannot handle surfaces well. VX is hybrid and you can throw just about anything at it - just remember that if the quality of the imported data is not good, you are going to need to spend some time correcting it.

Kevin

Message 13 of 14

10-11-2004 07:26 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Good advice there Chris! I always thought FTP stood for "file transfer problems" :-)

As for Rhino I have no idea what version the file was from or the settings - can't reach the designers to get that info.

Eli

Message 14 of 14

10-11-2004 06:26 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Thanks for the info there Chris., very helpful stuff for the new boat that I'm starting on tonight. As far as the sectioning error, it is definitely possible what you describe above. I will keep trying to send the file so you can take a look at it though. The same error also pops up when I go to "hidden edges" view mode whilst in 3d. I don't think and actual error gets displayed when I try to section though...it just doesn't do what I ask it to do.
-Eli
See also
X