CAD/CAM discussion forum > ZW3D CAD > Blank objects within History

Blank objects within History

Subscribe Topic

Paul

Message 1 of 5

Blank objects within History
18-06-2014 08:37 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Hi Guys, I really like the changes the new history manager has brought in 2014.However I think there is a case for some options to be available with some modelling actions that are no longer shown anywhere.
Blanking is one.
IMO we need an option for blanking action to remain a history item until such time as we decide it is no longer required.

An example case is where I have had to explode an imported shape and blank some of the exploded faces to work on the interior shapes/faces etc.
(If I have the ability to work inside a section view life might be different.)
The process of repair/modification may be extended so I will require the blank/unblank/swap etc. to be persistent in the history.
I suggest we have tick box option for 'persistence' in the same way the keep profile exists in various commands.

A similar situation exists with Component insertion. There needs to be a way to edit the insertion details - e.g location if it is a Anchored during insertion.

Cheers - Paul

William

Top Influencer

Message 2 of 5

19-06-2014 10:00 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Reply 1# mudcrab

Hi Paul, thank you for your feedbacks.

I don't understand what your describe the problem cause by removing Blank/Unblank/Swap etc. But we did found several problems by ourself and will be fixed in 1810 (2014 SP) version.

For example, you will notice that many commands in ZW3D 2014 has the combination option has been add the input field "Boolean shape", this is the one action we make every command base on the real id to do combination but not base on the entity visibility. but we still forgot to handle several command such as Mirror, Patter, Extract shape, Merge, Plannar section, they still need to add the "Boolean shape" or "Specify shape" to do operation, so that they can avoid the history problem cause by removing "Blank, Unblank, Layer. etc"

If you find other problem caused by that, please let us know and explain it more cleary so that we can improve it, but I have to tell you it's impossible to recover the old way and unable to offer two ways together with configuration option. The only thing we can do is base on the new mechanism to do improvement.

Regarding the Insert component removing, it's the same, except you use the "Old assembly mode", otherwise, ZW3D will not record this operation any more, for the future, probably the "Old assembly mode" will not be maintain. You are right, removing the Insert component on the history, the insert point can't keep the link with the component, and we will developing another new constrain function “3D point coincident ” to support that, when you insert the component, you can decide if add this constrain to keep the link between insert point and component. This new function should can be finished in 1900 version.Also the Frame constrain will be considered also to support the Frame option of Insert component command.

Paul

Message 3 of 5

19-06-2014 10:15 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Hi William,
understood. I will ignore assembly for now.
The issue is not regards boolean operations.
Rather is is how to make surface and changes in the internal surfaces within a complex imported part.
An example would be how to modify the surfaces in the cooling system of an engine block. These are hidden from view until you hide the external surfaces.

Currently I explode the external surface and use the group option. All good so far.
Now I need the to hide these surfaces so I can work on the internal geometry.

When I have finished the repair or modifications, I will unblank and sew the geometry.

With out persistent Blank or Hide, this requires me to repeat the blank shape after every history regen.

A good solution might be to be able to set certain faces both transparent and invisible to selection until such time as you turn them back on. Like hiding rows in a spread sheet.

I do not know how else to explain it?
Cheers - Paul

William

Top Influencer

Message 4 of 5

19-06-2014 10:39 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Reply 3# mudcrab

Hi Paul, so actually, what you concern is how to select some inner surfaces or specify surface easily in complex model, especially many conjoint surface together affect your selection. So we can base on this situation to develop new function or enhanced existed function to support that, like what you said "able to set certain faces both transparent and invisible to selection ", so maybe set they to different color then use color filter to ignore some entity you don't want to select.
I will keep this on my mind and do some testing, and also welcome that sending me some case I can show the problems scene to explain to R&D.

Paul

Message 5 of 5

19-06-2014 10:50 . am   |   View his/her posts only
OK,
I'll send you a case.
Cheers
See also
X