CAD/CAM discussion forum > 3D CAD/CAM > Fast(er?) constraints for objects in assemblies.

Fast(er?) constraints for objects in assemblies.

Subscribe Topic

Steve

Message 1 of 4

Fast(er?) constraints for objects in assemblies.
23-01-2005 12:59 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
I've been doing my 1st dieset in VX this week. The one thing that seems to be a bit painful, is in assemblies. attaching all the EJ pin(there are 88 of 'em in this job). rest buttons, and fasteners to the associated parts is painfully tedious. without "smart" object placements(SHCS go in SHCS holes, EJ Pins are attached to the retainer, etc...).

Chris, is there any way to make a macro, that say... you could pick a series of identical featured holes, and then choose an object, and a concentric, and coincident constraint, and VX would go thru and populate the features(holes) with the requested objects? This sure would save HOURS of work on large jobs.

ChrisWard2k2

Message 2 of 4

23-01-2005 08:07 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Hi Steve

This is the kind of thing that I want the program to deliver (result that is, rather than method), we need to reduce the time it takes to build assemblies where standard components are involved. The Ejector Pins first, but code a framework that will serve for other common mold components too.

With your current work, it may not always be necessary to constrain all of the components. You can place one, then array it. I know this is not always satisfactory, however any component can be aligned more quickly if the original Part Object has VX "handles" applied.

Steve

Message 3 of 4

24-01-2005 04:18 . am   |   View his/her posts only
What VX needs is "smart" components for common assembly objects, and moldbases. To go with the "smart" objects, would be "smart" hole making. Labeling holes for things like SHCS, EJ pins, Stop pins, dowel pins, etc... This is what Delcam does, and how the wizards label things.

I will say one thing. Even though I'm working with a 400 meg file now. Performance is fantastic on a 2.6GHZ P4. Far better than PowerShape ever was on a moldbase with 1/2 this many parts. The only thing Delcam has on you guys, is that moldbase wizard, which I showed you.

If VX doesn't come out with some type of moldbase wizardry in the near future, I'll just have to build my own

ChrisWard2k2

Message 4 of 4

24-01-2005 09:36 . am   |   View his/her posts only
We will get there!
See also
X