CAD/CAM discussion forum > 3D CAD/CAM > Dome command in 10.6

Dome command in 10.6

Subscribe Topic

Kevin

Message 1 of 6

Dome command in 10.6
08-02-2005 01:28 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
It might be me but there appears to be no refeence to the dome command options in the online help. Certainly running a search on Dome brings up nothing, and the link from the command dialogue isn't working either. I can't recall if this worked before (as I uninstalled all previous versions of VX!).

I see that the latest PR from VX is about this command, so maybe we could get one of the resident gurus to post up a WebEx recording of how best to use it? It seems to work on sketches on a surface but not from faces on top of drafted extrudes. Kind of like a capping feature perhaps? Thats what the images in the Press release seem to indicate. 5 mins on a video would reveal all I'm sure!

ChrisWard2k2

Message 2 of 6

08-02-2005 04:25 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Hi Kevin

How about having the actual file from the PR?

Robert

Message 3 of 6

09-02-2005 05:01 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
yeah... cuz it wasn't supposed to be released until Version 11.

we jumped the gun

Kevin

Message 4 of 6

11-02-2005 06:42 . am   |   View his/her posts only
That will do nicely Chris! Thanks. One question though....

You have used curves as opposed to sketches to use as the basis of the dome, does this imply that you could have a dome derived from a non planar curve?

Also is there any way to make the dome follow the tangency of the base solid/surface. For example, if I create a cylinder, drafted by 2 degrees, say, and created a sketch on the top, matching the top edge, can the dome be made to follow the tangency of the draft - or better still - be a specific draft angle?

ChrisWard2k2

Message 5 of 6

11-02-2005 09:24 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Hi Kevin

You sure that's one question?

1) Yes, you can define a dome from non-planar curves;

2) If you need to define a dome on top of a shape like a cone, you should not use a Sketch to define the curve. Use the edge of the shape instead, this will hold the relationship between the two surfaces and the tangency control then applies.

3) There is no direct input of draft angle, but there is full control of tangency, height etc. The very nature of the dome shape means that you will normally have adequate draft allowance.

The attached file shows how it is done. The edge of the cone face has been selected with a right-mouse click curve list input.

Kevin

Message 6 of 6

11-02-2005 01:42 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Wow! I feel a dome frenzy coming on in this office! Thanks Chris.
See also
X