CAD/CAM discussion forum > 3D CAD/CAM > Rotational Constraints?

Rotational Constraints?

Subscribe Topic

John

Message 1 of 5

Rotational Constraints?
27-06-2005 03:40 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Hi,

Is there a way to place a constaint in an assembly that allows an object to rotate along just one axis?

ChrisWard2k2

Message 2 of 5

27-06-2005 07:30 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Hi John

If for example, your object has a cylinderical hole and your axis is a cylinderical shaft, constraining the two together results in this effect. With only the one constraint on the object, it is free to rotate around the axis and to slide along the axis. To give you more specific help, I'd need to see more specific info from you.

John

Message 3 of 5

28-06-2005 02:08 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
I ran into this when I was creating a mockup of a toggle switch, which has a tapered cylinder for the toggle that goes inside a larger cylindrical opening. Rather than model the mechanism fully, I simply wanted to anchor one end of the toggle at a specific location inside the larger cylinder, then allow the toggle to rotate only around the toggle's internal Z axis. I couldn't figure out how to do this without modeling a pivot for the toggle, which is more work than I wanted to do. So I was simply wondering if there was a way to explicitly apply rotational constraints.

-- John

ChrisWard2k2

Message 4 of 5

28-06-2005 07:51 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Hi again John

Basically, no, the constraint engine requires suitable geometry to reference. Still, it wouldn't be so hard to put in a couple of primitive shapes to achieve your aim?

John

Message 5 of 5

30-06-2005 04:56 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Yes, I can add more shapes. I still have a hard time sometimes getting VX's constraints to do what I'd like. It sure would be nice to have better documentation that described each of the different constraints in more detail.

-- John
See also
X