CAD/CAM discussion forum > 3D CAD/CAM > Material and Density Question

Material and Density Question

Subscribe Topic

John

Message 1 of 5

Material and Density Question
28-06-2005 02:25 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
I've been trying to figure out the best way to set the material for parts in my project. I noticed that the Part Attributes form allows me to type in the name of a material, but there is no where to type in a density. It seems like the only place where I can enter a density is in the Attributes/Material dialog box. However, this doesn't seem to do anything. I changed the values from Aluminum (2643 kg/m3) to Brass (8400 kg/m3) and clicked on OK. Then I brought this dialog up again, selected the part I wanted to change and clicked Apply.

However, when I bring up the Inquire/Mass Properties dialog box and select the part, it always shows a density for the part of 1.5277252 [oz/in^3], no matter what density I've used in the Attributes/Material dialog box. What gives? Am I missing something?

-- John

ChrisWard2k2

Message 2 of 5

28-06-2005 07:40 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Hi John

You are not missing something, but VX is - we have somehow contrived to get this into a tangle, I put in a PCR (change request) and this will be improved in a future release (lot of areas affected, so a fix will not happen overnight).
Currently, the Material attribute name is only the name - if the density is included in brackets, that is just treated as being part of the name.

In the meantime, via the Part Attribs Form, you can add your own "User Defined" attribute and store the density separately there with a specific title of your choice (erm, such as "density"). However, because we have not got the code right, the Mass Properties command will not look-up this value - it will however be used by the 2D Layout BOM Table wizard if you require this.

You might like to create a variable (via Insert/Equation Editor) to store the density value(s). The variable name can then be entered into the Mass Properties form, either by typing it in or browsing to it.

However, none of that helps with the units applied to the value. Firstly, to get consistent units, you must ensure that the active model space units are of the correct unit family (metric or imperial), via Edit Preferences.

Now, run the Mass Properties command, select the density units desired on the Options Form. Click on the tiny yellow input button and then type in the name of your previously stored variable that holds the material's density value. Or instead of typing in the name, right-click in model space and select "Expression" - from there, you can browse to the variable name and pick it.

You will notice that the options form also has a field named "variable". This is in fact a name for the output to be captured as a variable, and can be especially useful if you wish to use the Design Optimiser tool to consider a value for volume or weight.

Kevin

Message 3 of 5

30-06-2005 03:23 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
When you say future version are you meaning 11 or 12? In the meantime, any chance of posting a Webex recording of this procedure? I personally find that format much easier to follow.

John

Message 4 of 5

30-06-2005 04:54 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Thanks. Looking forward to a new version...

-- John

Mike

Message 5 of 5

18-07-2005 07:02 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Guys..............
See the Material Attributes Pulldown in Version 11.11. This is the only place to assign material attributes now. The Material box in the Part Attributes is a label only now. Be sure to pick the shape you want and pick OK. You should get a material attribute in the History. This does work.
See also
X