CAD/CAM discussion forum > 3D CAD/CAM > VX 11.21, program speed issue.

VX 11.21, program speed issue.

Subscribe Topic

Mark

Message 1 of 17

VX 11.21, program speed issue.
19-09-2005 09:56 . am   |   View his/her posts only
I have been using vx 8.6. I have an issue with VX 11.21, where the program feels and is a lot 'slower' to use.

Anything that is 'Instant' in 8.6, is slower, takes 3-4 seconds in 11.21.

The problem displays itself in many areas, but it is almost like the program has been slowed down, not for actual calculations, but the time it takes for the program to be ready for your next command. It is like it is cycling between menus getting ready for the next command.

EG if I were to select an item in 8.6, right click and say blank, the blank would happen straight away, instantly and be ready to go on to my next command. In 11.21, I can count up to 4 and watch a lot of menu changes going on in the display.

I am using a 3 Ghz Zeon with 4 GB Ram, windows xp, there are no issues at all with 8.6.

This pausing of the program with every command is driving me up the wall with frustration.

Files were being created in 11.21 and the same issue is displayed on another seat at our company.

I really would like to get to the bottom of this issue, as 11.21 is far too frustrating to use efficiently.

Has anyone else noticed this 'slow down' who has also used older versions?

New users may be blissfully ignorant to what I am describing.

Paul

Message 2 of 17

19-09-2005 11:01 . am   |   View his/her posts only
I do believe that version 11 is slower than version 10 was.

I am presently using VX11.4

I don't observe this immediately but as the file increases in size I am seeing a series of blinking within the history tree that many times is several seconds long.

I seem to arrive at this bogged down state much earlier in my model than in previous versions.

This is liveable, but a bit annoying.

By the way I have 3.6 gig processor laptop with 2 gig of RAM.

ChrisWard2k2

Message 3 of 17

22-09-2005 07:13 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Hello Chaps

The problem is certainly present in V11 and seems to be related to the simultaneous build of the History Tree. If you do not have the Manager Form displayed, you will find that VX's traditional high speed is still there! The developers are working on the problem. It is true that many new customers will not have noticed because they have migrated from other MCAD/High End systems that have always been a magnitude slower than VX.

This is a VX problem, not a hardware problem, but a well managed PC will pay you speed dividends. Please take a look at my forum notes concerning disk defragmentation and pagefile (virtual memory) set up.

Good History management makes a big difference too - not just in regen time etc but also in the understanding of your own work a few months later down the line!

DO:

If you momentarily blank items when studying your model, use UnDo to "unblank" them, avoiding unnecessary blank-unblank pairs in History;

If you create unwanted geometry that is not used by any other entities (no dependencies), delete it. (If you have just created it, don't delete or erase, simply UnDo);

Give History entries meaningful names instead of just the system default names. Note, you currently should not rename Sketches if dimensions within the Sketch use equations (variables);

If a feature of your model is itself a complex model, define the feature in it's own Part Object (i.e., working as though creating an assembly but really creating a single object - this is known as a "Pseudo Assembly"). This will keep your History List short and make everything easier to understand and manage. It could save you time on a future project too if the feature can be recycled.

When inserting geom into your "Master" model with Insert Component, remember that this command can insert and boolean the geom in one command.

Use different wireframe/face colours throughout your model history (thus making errors much easier to spot, and it is easier to see the geom being built when you or a colleague steps through your history). Changing the model face attribs to represent the real world object should be done at the end of the history.

Take the time to dimension and constrain key elements of your Sketches.

Keep it simple - less is more!

DO NOT:

Have successive Move/Rotates to reposition an entity or feature - step through the history and edit the original Move.

Blank entities that have no further use later in History - Erase them. If you later find that you do need them again, simply delete the Erase from the History List.

Have an import (e.g. STEP/IGES etc) at the top of your history - Each Imported geom should be contained in it's own Part Object. Use Insert Component and Merge to make the geom editable in your "working" Part. This avoids constant re-importing on regen of the history. It also means that you have a verbatim reference of the original geom, thus you can instantly compare the original with the edited at any time.

Repair/Heal imported geom unless there is a valid technical reason for doing so - it is an Object in VX and can still be handled in assemblies etc, as-is. In most cases, it can be used in CAM too.

Create a solid to subtract from your model unless necessary - a planar trim can be done with a Plane, most other trims and splits need only one surface, not a whole solid.

Mark

Message 4 of 17

22-09-2005 08:33 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Thanks for the reply Chris.

I will take a good look at your suggestions.

But I do 'feel' no speed pausing in 8.6 and with only a small, 20 item history version 11 is extremely and I mean extremely frustrating in comparison. I prefer most things in 11, but this is too much for me personally.

Mark

Message 5 of 17

22-09-2005 09:20 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Chris, I have performed a search and cannot find the infor regarding Page file and disk defragging?

Can you give me a link?

Thanks.

Mark

Message 6 of 17

03-10-2005 08:27 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Chris, have we a release coming soon with this fixed?

Robert

Message 7 of 17

03-10-2005 11:53 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Gents,

Please submit a PCR so this gets the attention of our development team.

The forum is a great place to get advice but we didn't design it to log issues.

I too, noticed the history lag, especially if when working in foreign language VX versions (Japanese and Chinese had noticeable blink-blinks).

bobf

ChrisWard2k2

Message 8 of 17

03-10-2005 01:57 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Hello everyone

A PCR was issued very early on and the Developers have already defined some fixes. Improvements are of course always released as soon possible, please be patient with us. The best work around currently is to keep the Manager Form switched off when it is not needed.

Mark

Message 9 of 17

07-10-2005 07:49 . am   |   View his/her posts only

Originally posted by: bobf4fun
Gents,

Please submit a PCR so this gets the attention of our development team.

The forum is a great place to get advice but we didn't design it to log issues.

I too, noticed the history lag, especially if when working in foreign language VX versions (Japanese and Chinese had noticeable blink-blinks).

bobf

Hello Bob, I note your comments about using the forum to post issues.

I have logged a PCR with my supplier since version 10.

On our PC, in UK language, the problem is not acceptable and far worse than blinking.

Thanks.

Robert

Message 10 of 17

08-10-2005 10:39 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Forgive my use of the term "blink-blink" (I was describing the noticeable history slowdown).

I've followed up with the applicable development folks and have been assured that this will be rectified.

Mark

Message 11 of 17

28-11-2005 05:30 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Hello.

Have you a release Number that this may be completed?

Thanks

ChrisWard2k2

Message 12 of 17

28-11-2005 06:51 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Hello

There are several things to optimise/replace to restore speed when the Manager form is on screen (All is well with the Manager off screen). Some of the work, certainly an important part of it, has already been carried out. It is due to be in an early version of release 12. We are re-scheduling the current work load for QA and this may well have an impact on release dates, but please be assured that we are doing everything possible to deliver the best VX yet, as quickly as we can.

Robert

Message 13 of 17

28-11-2005 06:46 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
it's fixed in 12

release late January 2006

Mark

Message 14 of 17

01-12-2005 05:00 . am   |   View his/her posts only
I look forward to this release.
Thank you for the information.
Both myself and my colleague will be elated.
Some projects we are attempting are near impossible in version 11.
This has been the case for us since version 10.

On a positive note. Version 11 is our favourite interface and features.

Are fillets being looked at all?

ChrisWard2k2

Message 15 of 17

01-12-2005 06:07 . am   |   View his/her posts only
The slowness compared to previous releases is an absolute pain, no question about that, but you can avoid this problem for large lumps of time by keeping the Manager Form off-screen. A lot of VX'ers do this by default because they like to have the maximum screen real estate for the model. Inserting (logical) history back-ups also makes a difference for when you have to step through the history.

Mark

Message 16 of 17

01-12-2005 07:40 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Thank you.

Have you managed to find this information yet for us? Thanks.

"Please take a look at my forum notes concerning disk defragmentation and pagefile (virtual memory) set up."

ChrisWard2k2

Message 17 of 17

01-12-2005 05:58 . pm   |   View his/her posts only

Hello again

Sorry about the confusion concerning the "housekeeping" advice. Unfortunately, that thread has been deleted. What I intend to do is to prepare a new PDF on the subject, that anyone can download (and understand).

See also
X