CAD/CAM discussion forum > Other CAD/CAM Technology > Are you an AMD or Pentium user?

Are you an AMD or Pentium user?

Subscribe Topic

OldForumPost

Message 1 of 19

Are you an AMD or Pentium user?
15-10-2005 05:58 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
This is just an informal curiosity survey. My guess is that most of us here use AMD based PC's or if you use a Pentium based PC it was from Dell because you got it with stacked coupons (i.e. for dirt cheap).

I have a AMD 64 3200 based PC.

What do all you like to use to run VX? AMD or Pentium?

Kevin

Message 2 of 19

16-10-2005 01:45 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Pentium and Centrino....yes...both Dell from Dell Outlet :-)

But I look forward to running it on an Apple G5 next year when they ship with Intel processors (so you can run Apple OSX and Windows on the same box.....natively)

Steve

Message 3 of 19

16-10-2005 10:45 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Yup, I'm in the same boat as 3Dmonkey.
I'm on Intels at work, and my laptop. You just can't beat the Dell prices. I'd love a Dual opteron box, but just nut justified.
My laptop is an HP Intel P4 3.4GHZ

ChrisWard2k2

Message 4 of 19

18-10-2005 05:57 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Interestingly, AMD processors seem to have superior floating point number crunching.

OldForumPost

Message 5 of 19

18-10-2005 10:52 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Chris,
From your comments, I assume floating point number crunching has something to do with CAD. Will you please explain or reference a link that explains its significance to CAD?
Thanks!

ChrisWard2k2

Message 6 of 19

19-10-2005 04:58 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Hi Clinton

If you do a google search you will find a lot on the subject - one needs an understanding of how a CPU actually works. Floating point numbers are important in CAD apps (a) because your geometry is almost exclusively described by non-integer values and (b) because computers (CPUs) only process "ones and zeros" and thus the processor can, and does, fail to solve cumulative complex equations to the required degree of accuracy. It is hard for many to get their head around the idea that computers can be inherently inaccurate devices because they have finite processing limitations, but this is one of the reasons that has brought about the drive towards 64bit (and beyond) computing (which brings its own unwanted baggage along with it of course).

Steve

Message 7 of 19

21-06-2006 11:51 . am   |   View his/her posts only
So have any of you guys tried some of the new Core-Duo intel processors?
I just picked up a Dell E1705

Core Duo 2GHZ
1 gig ram
Geforce Go7900 graphics
17" 1440x900 screen
100 gig HD
DVD +/-R, RW drive
$1400.

The thing "feels" faster than my current P4 3.4GHZ/Geforce 6800. The dual core certainly helps multitasking.

Kevin

Message 8 of 19

22-06-2006 04:17 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Hey Steve, did you ever get your Macbook? I know somebody who is running SolidWorks on one with no problems using Boot Camp. Says its the fastest PC laptop he's ever used :-) Has anybody tried the Macbook with VX?

Steve

Message 9 of 19

23-06-2006 01:03 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
I just couldn't see spending the extra $ for it. Look at what I got above for $1400.
VX and Delcam software don't seem to run so hot on ATI graphics chips. Which is why I chose the Dell with the GeForce 7900GS chip.
For what I got from Dell, I would have had to spend over $1000 more, and not had the graphics chipset I needed. Yes, I agree it would have been cool to get the macbook, and dual boot. Or run paralells on OSX. But my wallet made the decision for me

ChrisWard2k2

Message 10 of 19

23-06-2006 06:32 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
.....and you had enough $ remaining to invest in a Big Mac

Kevin

Message 11 of 19

23-06-2006 08:23 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
I see your point. The situation is a bit different here in that we started with Macs and migrated CAD to PC, but as a result we have a heavy investment in Mac software for graphics and some CAD (and remember all you lucky USA based designers, software costs double here!). For me the Macbook (and indeed all new Macs) will let us run one hardware platform but with dual OS's. I've not tried running it myself but an Ashlar reseller assures me SolidWorks runs perfectly. Currently we have more hardware than we can physically use, simply because of legacy software (and that I prefer Macs for graphics and presentation work). After a couple more hardware updates I'll probably switch to Macbook for laptops and replace the existing 2 with one and save some cash and backache. Of course if Adobe and Quark decide to be fair and offer cross platform licensing then maybe I'll switch to PCs. Mind you, seeing as UGS are porting NX to Mac OS now maybe the CAD choice will increase on Mac as well!

Steve

Message 12 of 19

23-06-2006 10:23 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Didn't know that UGS was porting NX to OS X. That's cool!
SO VX, when ya gonna follow suit?

ChrisWard2k2

Message 13 of 19

24-06-2006 12:42 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Well, we are perhaps not as desperate as UGS. We would need to be convinced that the market for VX on the Apple platform is big enough to justify doubling the QA workload. Sorry for the Macs, though the new machines sound good, it is a chicken and egg situtation concerning the migration of Windows based software (and the Windows Users of course). How long is OSX going to hold out anyway? Could it be that future Macs will simply run with Windows Vista? It is a possibility that Apple may move away from developing and concentrate on box building. Certainly their most recent moves towards PC compatability suggest this is on the cards. Now that Adobe have less competitors, having bought Macromedia, they really do not need to be more generous. I think the Adobe products do now work pretty well on the PC platform, unlike the early days where they were a little bit too far away from what Windows Users are used to. Perhaps you can switch to Windows when upgrading an Adobe license? Why not ask them?

Kevin

Message 14 of 19

24-06-2006 12:07 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
My mate at Apple says that UGS ported to Mac because Apple are such a large customer for them and they wanted to develop Macs on macs rather than SGI unix boxes (and lets face it the way SGI are going or have gone thats not a long term option!). I think perhaps the most likely scenario of this will be that - assuming Apple continue to grow - and as the new Intel Powermac workstations come on stream you may see Apple buying up a chunk of UGS or some other well known developer who runs Unix variants of their apps (eg PTC, Dassault).

The other factor is I think Windows is in for a rocky ride as Vista comes in. The high end users do not like change and Apple has now proven themselves to have a good solid stable OS. As for the minnows like me switching fully to Windows, sure maybe. But I did try to get a switch from Adobe last time round - no go. Besides the 30 day eval of CS2 I ran on my Dell M60 ran like a pig compared to the Mac G5...so for that sid of things we'll stick to Mac! In the long term Adobe have something like 60% of their "value" customers (eg commercial high value - not consumer stuff) running Macs. No way are they going to switch to just Windows - especially when they don't get on with Microsoft over pdf!

As for VX running on Mac. No. Lets just get it running well on Windows!! Speaking of which is 12 a viable release as yet?

ChrisWard2k2

Message 15 of 19

24-06-2006 05:41 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Hi Kevin

We are working to release v12.xx. There have been a few quality issues which, given all our extra effort in QA this year, is dissappointing - we have however tracked down what we believe to be the causes and so we are in the process of modifying the code accordingly. Many customers are currently using v12.46, it much depends on the type of work undertaken. Power Users managing large files would probably be more comfortable staying on v11.82 for now. There is a fine balance that we are trying to get right, we want everything to be the best that it possibly can be - a very loyal customer base deserves nothing less. There are times perhaps when we are being super self-critical. I personally have used CAD since Dr Hanratty introduced it - VX is generally far more reliable than most. So, I am sorry that we have been keeping you waiting, and it has been too long a wait, but we are doing our very best to put things right.

Kevin

Message 16 of 19

24-06-2006 06:59 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Hey Chris, no worries! Remember I come from a ThinkDesign and Ashlar background, so I'm used to waiting :-)

BTW I've been putting powershape-e through its paces....crash and burn city! Runs like wading through treacle. Only good thing about it is I can view and play with Catia v5 files (albeit very slowly). Its interesting to note the resources it needs though compared to VX and SolidWorks. Like double the system RAM. I'll consign it to the bin shortly I think. Very disappointing (not that I was ever considering spending

Steve

Message 17 of 19

24-06-2006 09:04 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
I am an Ex-PowerShape user myself. It does have it's good points. But the bad points outwegh it's use to nothing more than a electrode documentation tool. VX is nearly there in that respect. Still need some more work. Which reminds me, I need to fill out another a PCR on the electrode tool.

But being a REAL hybrid modeling tool. Nope... Take a look and see if you can find a simple offset face command. It's not there. You can't do it without 1st converting to surfaces, which looses all your feature history.

What Powershape does have, is the wizards. The mold design tool is pretty good, as long as you don't have to change much later on. It kinda looses it's mind. It also will bomb on large tools, with a ton of objects.

The straw that broke the camel's back for me was when I was doing a 32 cavity tool. Nothing very complex, but a ton of ejector pins thast would bomb after I added about the 200th one.

Another thing that sucked, and I don't know if they changed it... Make a print sometime, and try to export it It wont do it properly until you "convert" it to a sheet object iirc. Well, when you convert it to a sheet object, guess what... You lose associativity to you model. Delcam does some very cool stuff. But it's some of the simple things that they fall flat on their face on. Delcam also used to listen to me(I was a beta tester, even wrote a small article for them for Machine Design magazine), but after umpteen many releases, the same problems and complaints would go unfixed. VX seems to listen and care more to their customers these days.

OldForumPost

Message 18 of 19

25-06-2006 04:21 . am   |   View his/her posts only

Originally posted by: 3Dmonkey
Hey Chris, no worries! Remember I come from a ThinkDesign and Ashlar background, so I'm used to waiting :-)

What on earth do you mean Kevin? ;-)

BTW, I've just picked up an intel iMac for video editing and DVD writing. Quite impressed so far, but other than eDrawings, I don't have an 3D apps to try out on it. Think I'll be sticking to Dell laptop for 3D stuff anyway.

Owen

Steve

Message 19 of 19

27-08-2006 02:26 . pm   |   View his/her posts only

Hey Steve, did you ever get your Macbook? I know somebody who is running SolidWorks on one with no problems using Boot Camp. Says its the fastest PC laptop he's ever used :-) Has anybody tried the Macbook with VX?

I just picked up a 17" iMac(1.83GHZ Core Duo). Put XP Pro on it last night using boot camp. Put VX12 on it, ran through it's paces a bit. Even with only 512 meg of ram it worked well with VX. No graphics issues with the ATI X1600 chipset that I noticed.
See also
X