CAD/CAM discussion forum > 3D CAD/CAM > Best freeware .swf player?

Best freeware .swf player?

Subscribe Topic

OldForumPost

Message 1 of 7

Best freeware .swf player?
21-10-2005 03:31 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
I found a VX assembly mini-tutorial video that a member made and it is in swf format. What is the best freeware swf player that you guys know of?
Thanks!

ChrisWard2k2

Message 2 of 7

21-10-2005 09:08 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Hi Clinton

It should just play in Internet Explorer.......

OldForumPost

Message 3 of 7

22-10-2005 12:09 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Yeah, I have the default ie macromedia player but you can't do full screen with it, or if it can I don't know how. It's pretty limited.

ChrisWard2k2

Message 4 of 7

22-10-2005 05:41 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Hi Clinton

They are usually highly compressed files and so I would expect the movie to be too pixelated at full screen if it has to be re-sized to full screen.

Kevin

Message 5 of 7

24-10-2005 05:58 . am   |   View his/her posts only
If its the assembly one its one I did. You can play this through Internet Explorer if you have the Flash plug ins installed. Just drag the corner of the window to enlarge. The screen resolution for the movie was fairly high (I think 1280 x 1024 pixels). I use Viewlet Cam to do these and the file sizes are very good. Macromedia's Captivate also does a similar thing and its also based on Flash. There are also other commercial and shareware apps out there as well but I prefer these two....some things are worth paying for!

If you use the Apple Quicktime Player you can also play it back through that. Bumping it up to full screen won't be a problem.

On this subject, I wish VX would use Flash based video like this because their PR demos are useless for actually seeing what happens. If I had more time and knowledge (of VX) I would do more of these. I can never understand the reasoning why software companies don't utilise this technology to show and provide tutorials for their software. Its not a case of cutting out the training income for VARs (I also work with VARs for other software) - nothing replaces a one to one session to iron out issues, but for "canned" demos and tutorials this video technology is the way to go. It doesn't take long either. The assembly one was about 1 hr start to finish including several attempts to get it to work in VX!!

If there was a market for this stuff in VX I would get it done, but VX isn't Autocad (in number terms)!! Of course if VX wants to pay I would be more than happy to work out a price ;-)

ChrisWard2k2

Message 6 of 7

24-10-2005 07:54 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Hi Kevin

We have over time produced many many movies like this and were amongst the first to do so (todays apps/hardware make the task easy, before, it was difficult to make a good quality on-screen movie). The snag is, they get dated very quickly indeed, and they do still eat-up Support time too, especially if supported by a narrator since VX is delivered across the globe in several languages.

Kevin

Message 7 of 7

24-10-2005 09:44 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Fair points Chris, but perhaps for the future VX could consider producing the "promo" videos like this rather than the .avi files they currently are? I've got some higher resolution versions of the v10 videos at big file sizes but they are still nowhere near the clarity (visually-wise not content wise!!) of the ones I do based on Flash.

With regards to the multi lingual aspect this is a real issue for those of us involved in writing tutorials or videos (which I do for other software). The only solution I have found is to script the video and then get that translated by localised distribitutors.
See also
X