CAD/CAM discussion forum > 3D CAD/CAM > New features in PR

New features in PR

Subscribe Topic

Kevin

Message 1 of 12

New features in PR
05-12-2005 12:20 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Today I checked out the VX website for the first time in a while and noticed a few new features, such as Simplify Wizard, assembly configurations and 2D wrap around sketches.

Are these tools in VX11.5?

It would be good if we (customers) could download a short movie or maybe a sample file showing how these work.....

ChrisWard2k2

Message 2 of 12

05-12-2005 10:50 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Hello Kevin

The Simplify Wizard is in v11.5 (Shape Tab, last icon in the row, last icon in the column). You can select a model feature such as a boss, or a single face such as a fillet or chamfer, and VX will attempt to remove the selected geom and re-close the shape. This is of course intended for use on "dumb" imported geometery, VX geom can be history edited. The tool is described in on-line help, just search for "simplify".

Assembly Configs has a sub-toolbar in v11.5 (Assembly Tab, 6th icon from left) but unfortunately the commands are not available/not working. This I expect will be sorted out in a v12 release. It is possible for v11 (and below) Users to obtain a similar effect by using the suppress command in the History Tree.

Wrap Sketch is a new command in v12. You can literally wrap a Sketch around single curvature faces! The resulting wireframe geom can then be used to split the underlying face, to produce an embossing for example (great for logos etc).

Kevin

Message 3 of 12

07-12-2005 09:38 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Without sounding off here, why do VX as a company seem to always do this? Announce great new features that are either not available to the next version, or bug ridden crash zones in the existing ones? Right after I bought VX, there was a press release on patterning, which crashed and burned in the brand new version I had on CD. At the very least guys can you ensure that PR features work in currently available versions. Its like saying, yes my car WILL go at 150mph WHEN I get that 3litre v8 to replace the existing straight 4!

Far better from a user/potential buyer's point of view if you release a version THEN tell people what's in it. I'm getting fed up of being shown the promised land "just over the next hill"....FYI I think in the UK the trades description act does not permit advertising of features like this until they can be purchased and proven to work as advertised. I certainly know that one major USA software company (beginning with M) had to redesign all the the adverts and packaging for its leading package when somebody noticed the small print said (available in a future version in the UK)....

ChrisWard2k2

Message 4 of 12

07-12-2005 05:24 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Hi Kevin

Phew....don't want to get in the way when you do sound off then

It is certainly unfortunate that the pattern command ended up with some problems in later versions of VX. The version featured in the PR was 100% fine at the time. When PR is issued to the media, we do not have any control over how they use it or when they use it. We don't make holes in the software deliberately, honestly! I do not know of any commercial business that always gets everything right (ashtrays in the gull-wing doors of the DeLorean sports car was a classic), but I do know that CAD-CAM software is right up there with the most challenging projects and despite the very best efforts of a totally dedicated team, we make mistakes and some of them find their way into a release version of our product. That said, there is always room for improvement and we feel we can tighten-up our QA further in 2006.

It is customary in most industries to use advanced PR to generate interest in a product. I hark from the aircraft industry, which announces (and sells) new product up to five years before anything actually rolls out of the factory. Sometimes it is just as important for potential customers to know where the product is going as it is to know what it does now (though we take care not to give away all our secrets) - this applies to existing customers too of course. Sometimes a PR is strategic - issued to protect our long-existing technology when other companies may be trying to imply that they invented it last week. I too am based in the UK and I assure you that VX Corporation respects the laws of every country it trades in.

VX version 12 will be released in the near future and it is well worth waiting for. The new "wrap sketch" command (a UK customer requested feature) is extraordinary, it has that "wow" factor when you try it out, and certainly underlines the fact that VX Corp have very talented developers.

Kevin

Message 5 of 12

08-12-2005 07:44 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Chris,

Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking the abilities of the developers or the support mechanisms at all. I know errors do creep in despite the best intentions, but what does irritate me though (as someone who's business is involved in PR and marketing as well as product development), is that VX seems to focus PR on features that cause issues. The patterning is a classic example. I had just installed VX, I checked the website (or it was maybe an email) and hey presto there is a great new feature that I tried immediately and it crashed my machine. A call to IDS revealled it was a known bug.

OK that may be unfortunate, but it seems to be repeated again with configurations. That strikes me as poor quality control and makes me less than entusiastic when it comes to installing a new release....just in case. It gives the impression that the testers have not tried the very tools that are being promoted....or worse still....they have tried them, seen the bugs and said "to be fixed in a future version".

I would rather have 2 solid well tested releases a year than 6 or 7 incremental releases with bug fixes.

george

Message 6 of 12

08-12-2005 08:11 . am   |   View his/her posts only
This has been in the forum before. It does get frustrating when a new version comes out and things that worked before do not work in the new one. I have been in the habit of not switching to the new version until towards the middle of major release. This has helped alot.

Sometimes slower is faster.

Mark

Assistant Engineer

Message 7 of 12

08-12-2005 09:01 . am   |   View his/her posts only

Sometimes slower is faster.

Is this a rant thread, it seems to be now so I will add to it.

I have mixed views on the big promotion of ' exciting', new tools.
On one hand I think, why are you blowing your trumpet on an obscure command that is a miniscule percentage of our modelling when the bare bones of the setup are failing, despite reporting, my main example would be fillets. (and now speed on the later versions)

On the other hand, there are some tools we use now, that were not around three years back that make you think, great, I couldnt have done this in version x-xxx. That kind of thing makes you appreciate the development efforts.

Unfortunately 'wow's only work once or twice and dont turn grey hairs black.
On a weekly basis my wows are hidden under a tirade of abuse!.

Im looking forward to version 12, there is a lot promised for us that we need here.
There is a lot of work that I cannot do in version 11 series compared to 8 series and 12 supposedly address this for us.

I can imagine there is a lot to QA this kind of product, so undoubtedly things will be missed.
For the user this frustration amounts to a wasted install and not having back compatability on what you may have modelled.

george

Message 8 of 12

08-12-2005 09:13 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Perhaps we should move it.

Paul

Message 9 of 12

12-12-2005 09:21 . pm   |   View his/her posts only

In a perfect world....

Chris, can you please qualify in detail the 'wrap sketch to single curvature surface'. In particular, so we don't all get dissappointed again with a wow feature, what is meant by a single curvature surface?

As for me I am happy to have bug fixes quite often. Much better than waiting whole year for them! The issue of a new release killing of an exisitng feature is a bit of a weasel though. And I also would like fillets to be rock solid.

Cheers to all.

ChrisWard2k2

Message 10 of 12

12-12-2005 10:14 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Hi again

A single curvature surface is a curved surface where the curvature is in one direction - e.g. a cylinder, cone etc.

Improvements to filleting have been steadily introduced over several releases and this will of course continue. Various cases have been carefully documented by field engineers and the developers will explore new solutions. Rock solid fillets? Not really possible, there are just too many different scenarios. Overall, VX fillets compare well with other packages and VX does deliver a lot of filleting technology that you won't find elsewhere.

Meanwhile, we actually have been working on a way to turn grey hair back to black! In a near-future version, if a command does not succeed, you can choose to "re try" and return to the options control form with all of your geometry selections still intact - certainly usefull when you have an edge path that is proving difficult to fillet.

ChrisWard2k2

Message 11 of 12

15-12-2005 05:03 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Hi again Paul

Trying to respond to your support calls but your email box is over quota according to the bounced-back messages.

Robert

Message 12 of 12

16-12-2005 02:28 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Chris,

I"ve wrapped sketches around double curvature faces using UV mapping, anglular placement and flat layout to double curvature faces.

What am I missing?

Are we limited somehow to single-curvature?

bobf
See also
X