CAD/CAM discussion forum > 3D CAD/CAM > VX version numbers

VX version numbers

Subscribe Topic

Kevin

Message 1 of 13

VX version numbers
06-03-2006 11:26 . am   |   View his/her posts only
I've just checked to see if there are any new versions for VX available on customer support (my weekly task).

Over the last couple of years I've used VX I've seen odd version numbers appear on this site. For example, version 11 is currently on 11.6. Yet versions 11.7 and higher are marked on the customer support site release notes. Similarly for version 12, many of the WOW! features in press releases are slated for 12.4 and 12.9. Does this mean the first public release of 12 is 12.4, and that we will have to wait for 12.9 for the pre-announced features (if I am correct that is - the wrapping of vector curves to surfaces to create offsets)?

Does it also mean we will get 11.7 to 9 before 12?

I'm sure it means something to developers but to me it is confusing to see features that are pre-announced months ago apparently not being available until very late point versions of an unreleased version. I've got no issue with VX but maybe this part of the customer site needs to be hidden so we don't see what is supposed to be coming and end up asking stupid questions like this one ;-)

ChrisWard2k2

Message 2 of 13

06-03-2006 12:23 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Hi Kevin

If you don't want to see the info, don't go to that web page..............

Kevin

Message 3 of 13

06-03-2006 01:27 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Right Chris ;-)

Why didn't I think of that one :-)

OldForumPost

Message 4 of 13

06-03-2006 04:09 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
I like that VX puts the future Release Notes on the support site. It's nice to see that my PCR's are slated to be fixed for a specific release.

From my understanding, they will realease VX 12 to the public at whatever dot version they feel it is reliable enough or provides enough new features to justify a new release integer. For what it's worth, Bob Fischer used VX12.2 beta at the seminar.

I think it is lame for companies to have time based releases, like SW having a new version every year. But I think SW does it for financial reasons, i.e. to make people pay the yearly maintenance.

Kevin

Message 5 of 13

06-03-2006 04:49 . pm   |   View his/her posts only

Originally posted by: clintonyee
I like that VX puts the future Release Notes on the support site. It's nice to see that my PCR's are slated to be fixed for a specific release.

I've no issue with that, its just that most developers use build numbers to indicate a software version internally, and point versions for public consumption. Most people would assume that 12.0 is the release version. As it is it looks like 12.4 will be the release version, and if not will it actually be 12.9? I just think its confusing.

I think it is lame for companies to have time based releases, like SW having a new version every year. But I think SW does it for financial reasons, i.e. to make people pay the yearly maintenance.

Hmmm. So what do we pay VX

OldForumPost

Message 6 of 13

06-03-2006 08:41 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
I think VX releases new integer versions faster than one year increments. From the VX History webpage, they started public release in March 1999. So on average, that is about one integer release every 6 months or so.
But I guess that is like saying 25.4 mm is longer than 1 inch because it is a bigger number.

All I can say is that I am happy I switched away from SW. I did it mainly for the more powerful surfacing. As a side benefit, I got better support too.

I was a SolidWorks user for 7 years...most support calls were about bugs/crashing. With my short 1 year experience with VX, I just report bugs via the PCR website and call support when I can't figure out how to do something or for a workaround. I have never not completed a job because of a VX bug. There was always a pointer/ workaround/ suggestion given by support. I know VX listens to my PCR's because I always get email feedbacks. With SW, I didn't even know if my VAR told SW of my problems.

What really matters: The bottom line is that get jobs completed more quickly and in many cases I can do jobs that I couldn't do in SW.

But I hear you on the release structure comment.

Robert

Message 7 of 13

06-03-2006 09:53 . pm   |   View his/her posts only

"many of the WOW! features in press releases are slated for 12.4 and 12.9"

Kevin, could you please indicate which press releases specifically indicate features are going to be released in Versions 12.4 and/or 12.9 (it'll be even more embarrassing if I'm quoted in one of 'em)?

We're doing our best to make version 12 a stable and reliable release and would have made Version 12.0 public if we thought it were ready for our customers. It wasn't and unfortunately still isn't ready for general release.

We're working very hard to get it right and I'm sure you're going to benefit from VX Version 12.4 (and 13, 14, ect...)

Kevin

Message 8 of 13

07-03-2006 04:12 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Hi Bob,

Wrap 2D Sketches Around Surfaces With VX CAD/CAM press release of 7th Novemnber 2005......is this the feature in the release notes slated for 12.4? Looking at 12.9 again there is nothing there, must have mixed that up with 12.4, apologies.

Like I said I've no gripe with VX, just prefer some understanding on the release notes. You've got to understand that when us simple designers see fantastic new features we want to use them NOW! Even more frustrating is you actually do a job that could use this kind of functionality :-)

OldForumPost

Message 9 of 13

07-03-2006 11:12 . am   |   View his/her posts only
--WRAP CURVE ON FACE--

Perhaps VX should have called it "WRAP SKETCH ON FACE" instead, that is more clear.

See attached screenshot. It shows where that tool is located. I have tried it and it works. It is pretty flexible and easy to use.

FROM THE VX HELP FILE:

10990 - Wrapped surfacing functionality

User Access:

Wireframe toolbar->Wrap on face

Insert->Wireframe->curve->Wrap on face

User Impact:

A new wrap function that wraps a sketch onto a surface has been added to V11.0.

For revolved surfaces, the sketch can be interpreted as a height/angle curve.

For all other surfaces, the XY coordinates of the sketch can be interpreted as UV coordinates on the face.

This command can be used to wrap a set of curves that depict a logo onto a surface. It also allows a functional curve that specifies rise and dwell in terms of an angle to be wrapped onto revolved surfaces such as cylinders. Similarly, a tread pattern could be wrapped onto a tire.

ChrisWard2k2

Message 10 of 13

07-03-2006 11:43 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Hey 3D Monkey, you already asked about the wrap command before...................hope you like it

Concerning the VX releases, I think we deliver far better value for your money than our immediate competitors because we issue contineous improvements throughout the year. CAD CAM software is very challenging to program! This means there can be no rock-solid dates for releases, unless the company is prepared to seriously compromise on quality. My vote is for quality.

Kevin

Message 11 of 13

07-03-2006 04:03 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
OK sorry folks. I'll retract into my shell again and stick my head out when v12 arrives. Reading the release notes has confused me. I assumed this feature was creating 3D emboss type features on curved surfaces from sketches, didn't realise it had been added to v11.

One thing I would like though Bob and Chris, when v12 is released can we have a press release or pdf that tells us what is new, with pictures (designers don't understand complicated words).

Over and out!

Steve

Message 12 of 13

08-03-2006 11:47 . am   |   View his/her posts only
I see some cool stuff concerning electrodes in the release notes

Mike

Message 13 of 13

05-04-2006 01:35 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
I hope everyone has seen the Ready Sketch tool that Chris created as a macro back in the day (and the sketch clipboard before that), has been added as a new toolbar in the sketcher in 12.3.
Thanks, Chris....Congrats
See also
X