CAD/CAM discussion forum > 3D CAD/CAM > VX killer features?

VX killer features?

Subscribe Topic

Kevin

Message 1 of 12

VX killer features?
06-03-2006 11:37 . am   |   View his/her posts only
In recent weeks I've had to work on customer files using their copy of SolidWorks 2005. It is a very good, robust piece of software and I'll admit I did think, most of my customers are on this, most of my competitors are, maybe I should be to....but then you try to model things that take 2 mins in VX and a half day in SW. Like moulded threads lead ins and outs. VX has a purpose made tool for this that is (usually) quite robust. SolidWorks doesn't (why not I ask myself after all this time??). Now if only VX history was as robust as SolidWorks!! But that's for another day....

OldForumPost

Message 2 of 12

09-03-2006 08:01 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Killer Feature: Fast Imports.

Importing HUGE iges or stl meshes (100 meg+) into VX is ultra fast...I have tried many other CAD softwares from $2k to $20k, VX is the fastest. Some of them just freeze up or at least they were not done after 2 hours, where as VX finished importing in less than 3 minutes.

Once those models are loaded into VX, I can spin and view those models without lag/studdering, SW in particular is SLOW and you have to wait a couple seconds for the model to catch up with your mouse.

Kevin

Message 3 of 12

09-03-2006 08:13 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Yes I'd agree VX IGES import is excellent. In general v11 dynamic rotation and shading is better across the board. Not sure how it compares to other apps when looking at native geometry though. Doesn't seem any faster on the files I have. In general I think the dynamic display is down to the display resolution. VX default is pretty course (as is SolidWorks). Once you start fine tuning things it does slow down.

Steve

Message 4 of 12

10-03-2006 05:46 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
I got a sneak preview of VX 12.3 today. For us Mold guys. WOW! This is gonna be some killer stuff!

I'll no longer need Delcam PowerShape for electrode documentation!

ChrisWard2k2

Message 5 of 12

10-03-2006 06:20 . pm   |   View his/her posts only

Hi Steve

I know that functionality has been on your wish list since you first became a VXer, and your info has helped us along the way. Thank you for your patience. I think the collection of new mold commands is going to make life a lot easier for all our tool designer customers. Hey, you might even be able to have the odd weekend off work . It is fair to say that v12 is progressing through QA well; I have been impressed by the number of PCRs that have been solved recently. Of course, there is still a lot of work to be done, but we are rapidly approaching the light at the end of the tunnel (hope it's not a train coming the other way!).

Steve

Message 6 of 12

11-03-2006 12:42 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Chris, I'm glad I could be of some help. It's all for selfish reasons fo course
There is still a couple of tools I'd like to see added. But V12 is LIGHT YEARS in the right direction! It rocks!

Now you gentlemen have to learn how to market these new tools

Yes, I told me boss my goal this year is to actually make LESS money(I'm hourly).

V12 will certainly help that goal. If this tools work outside of "demoland", I can see entire mold designs taking 20%-30% less time.

warren

Message 7 of 12

23-03-2006 11:52 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Solid Works, Inventor, and SolidEdge (object modellers) are just too inflexible for what I need. A "killer" feature in VX is the ability to simply wipe out an object's history. I design injection tooling and sometimes, especially with customer data, a "robust history" is my worst enemy.

The other killer feature is the price to value comparison. From concept to making chips I'm on VX, running my business, for 1/3 what anything on the market even comes close to.

OldForumPost

Message 8 of 12

13-05-2006 10:56 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
VX Killer Features:

-Hybrid Modeling
-Seemless CAM and CAM integration
-Superb flexibility, users can design the way they want too
-Price/Performance nobody else comes close

Paul

Message 9 of 12

16-11-2006 03:28 . am   |   View his/her posts only
I have been working with an IGES import ex SW'04. Curiously SW reported more isses within the original model than the imported IGES in VX. Regardless, the files do come in with a bit of fix up work to be done.
I have not previously used the Heal and repairs tools in serious mode . However, I am obliged to say I am impressed with the ability to easily track down and repair issues.
The automated healing tools are superb.
Killer feature - Topo healing.
Cheers

Kevin

Message 10 of 12

10-01-2007 09:36 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Killer feature I discovered today:

Ability to copy and paste drawing sheets and models (in other words duplicate existing drawing sheets and models). Ideal for variants in concept design....

ChrisWard2k2

Message 11 of 12

10-01-2007 11:03 . am   |   View his/her posts only
.....and that copy and paste of Root Objects can be into a seperate file if you wish too!

Paul

Message 12 of 12

10-01-2007 02:53 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Hi Kevin,
you are right. C&P in VX means almost anything you can select. AND it is very easy. But wait, there's more, you get a within file clipboard that accessable from any file!
so VX delivers copy anything from anywhere!
Thanks VX.
See also
X