CAD/CAM discussion forum > Other CAD/CAM Technology > DO YOU KEEP YOUR PROJECTS RECORDS IN AN EXCEL SPREADSHEET?

DO YOU KEEP YOUR PROJECTS RECORDS IN AN EXCEL SPREADSHEET?

Subscribe Topic

ChrisWard2k2

Message 1 of 1

DO YOU KEEP YOUR PROJECTS RECORDS IN AN EXCEL SPREADSHEET?
23-03-2006 12:32 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Hello again everyone

I know a few people like to keep a record of their projects in a spreadsheet. This is a pretty good, easy to use method, especially if you are a small company or indeed a "one man band". I should make a mention of VX PDM here, it is a very capable project manager and has a lot of advantages over other methods of file management. However, if you are already using an MS Excel spreadsheet, and you are happy, then maybe the attached example will make you even happier.

There are three things that can make your spreadsheet do more work for you. Firstly, VX can supply a list of all of the Objects within one VX file (in VX v12, I can expand this to deliver a list of the contents of many files residing in the same folder). This facility will save you a lot of typing and ensure that the data is exact. In Excel, a simple Visual Basic program can load the VX List automatically. Last but not least, you can select the record (field or row) of any VX Object, and launch VX from the spreadsheet, with that specific Object loaded for editing or viewing. Interesting possibilities?

The attached is a simple example I have put together to show you what is possible. Take a look at the PDF to see if the idea is of use to you. You can edit, adapt, re-write - whatever you need to make VX and Excel work harder for you. Please don't flood me with questions about Excel though There are plenty of good books out there if you want to go deeper.

See also
X