CAD/CAM discussion forum > 3D CAD/CAM > Updating settings when moving to new VX versions?

Updating settings when moving to new VX versions?

Subscribe Topic

OldForumPost

Message 1 of 9

Updating settings when moving to new VX versions?
28-03-2006 11:24 . am   |   View his/her posts only
What is the best way to update User Settings and Macros when moving to new VX versions? For example:

Moving from 11.6 to 11.8 ?
Moving from 11.8 to 12.3?

Of course if there is a HELP topic on this subject, please let me know the key words so I can look it up.

Thank you!

Kevin

Message 2 of 9

28-03-2006 11:58 . am   |   View his/her posts only
I always get this wrong as well. What is the best practise for VX use? When installing I always forget to choose the existing user directory. Is there a way to reassign the user directory after installing?

ChrisWard2k2

Message 3 of 9

28-03-2006 05:07 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Hello Chaps

For major "hops", such as v11.8 to v12.3, some things can move and some cannot, depending on the extent of the core changes to the software. Usually, the VxDALS will require an update before they will work with the new release, but no harm will come from trying them if you take care (save file). I would always recommend re-defining your config file, it only takes a minute. Attribute Bundles can be "imported", go to the Utilities Menu at Root Object level. There are various supporting files that you can copy across:

In the User Folder
vxremote (your links to other software to be run from within VX, e.g., Windows Calculator, MS Word etc)
vxpaths (list of the paths to VX files)
vxCommands (list of VxDALs, Macros and general command shortcuts)
ListFiles.bat (For the Backgrounds program)

User FolderResource
Templates.VX (plus any other template files that you have defined for CAD/CAM)
ShaderAttribs.VX

User Folderplotters
copy the whole folder

User FolderVxDal
copy the whole folder

User FolderMacros
copy the whole folder (these programs have less chance of working with v12 than the VxDALs)

User FolderBackgrounds
copy the whole folder

User FolderSupp
copy the whole folder

The same applies to hops from one dot release to the next, but installing on top of an existing User is an easier way to go about it. Take care though if you have used VX's default names for things like the plotter configs and templates - these files will be overwritten by the installer, so you should give them your own names.

Hope this helps

Kevin

Message 4 of 9

29-03-2006 03:01 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Today I had to reinstall VX. It stopped working. I kept getting the message "you are trying to run VX and it is already running blah blah. This may have been caused by a crash etc etc". Question. What does this message mean and why do we get it even after we shut down the app and restart, then reopen VX? More importantly how can I avoid it? If VX bombs it bombs. This message invariably repeats after this happens, and 9 times out of 10 I click YES proceed. Is this wrong?

ChrisWard2k2

Message 5 of 9

29-03-2006 04:18 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Hi Kevin

You didn't need to re-install VX, the problem is caused by a "stray process", and is actually brought about by Windows' determination to keep programs running (usually a good thing).

Open Windows Task Manager ( [Ctrl] + [Alt] + [Delete] ) and click on the Processes tab. There you will find your strays - if you know VX is "not running" (not on screen is a reasonable indication ) then it should not have a process listed. If VX is there (vxmain.exe (the main vx program) and/or vxcg.exe (the render engine)), select it on the list and click on [End Process]. Alternatively, shut-down the PC. Is a good idea to shut-down the PC from time to time - in the UK, we do have a habit of leaving our PCs running 24/7 (which stems from well meant advice way back when only IBM made PCs).

VX is pretty robust but CAD programs in general are complex beasts and much more likely to fall into trouble than your average word processor. I suggest that you enable VX Session Management. Ensure that you read about and understand what a Session is, what it is for, how to use it. If VX crashes and Sessions are enabled, it will try to save your data (requires this option to be selected in Config).

Kevin

Message 6 of 9

29-03-2006 07:26 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Thanks Chris,

I did check the Task Manager and there were no VX processes running at the time. When I shut down and restarted the machine, then tried to open VX I had the same error message appear. No matter what I tried VX refused to start up, hence the re-install. I accept that these things happen occasionally but this just happened to be in front of a customer! Fortunately I had VX installed on another machine and I'm dongled so it wasn't the end of the world.

ChrisWard2k2

Message 7 of 9

30-03-2006 05:44 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Hi Kevin

I think you may have thrown a red herring in there with your description of the error/warning message If you are using Session Management and the system crashes, when VX is re-booted it will pop-up a message about the Session, since the last record of it claims the file is open. You are offered the choice of continuing to re-open the Session, or cancelling. In your case, you know the Session has not been opened by another User, so in normal circumstances you can continue. If however the system was unable to make a successful emergency save of the Session during the system crash, the Session file will be corrupted and VX will fail when trying to read it. Any unsaved work held only in the Session is therefore lost. To run VX again, the corrupted Session file needs to be deleted. You can do this via Windows, go to your VX User Folder.VxSession and delete the files "VxSession.VX" and "VX-Session-Folder".

Kevin

Message 8 of 9

30-03-2006 07:23 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Thanks Chris, that makes sense. Yes I always work with session management on (thanks to Chris Panes ex IDS for that one) as it has saved my nexk a few times when VX has bombed. I will print your answer out and pin it to the wall!!

Mike

Message 9 of 9

05-04-2006 01:15 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
For those that do not run with Sessions on, this directory can still be the culprit after a crash. If you have trouble getting back in to VX after a crash, check the Task Manager first as Chris said, then delete the ".VxSession" folder.
See also
X