CAD/CAM discussion forum > 3D CAD/CAM > Which graphics card?

Which graphics card?

Subscribe Topic

Paul

Message 1 of 17

Which graphics card?
06-04-2006 12:08 . am   |   View his/her posts only
I seem to be unable to locate the (recent?) thread that had some comments about new graphics cards & hardware so I am going to ask a question of the rest of you.

I installed an ex Ebay, supposedly Nvidia FX1000, (unbranded) card last year. It has the dual Digital output etc. This was before PCI so it's an AGP 8X
However, I find whilst it is fast, it has some very annoying GL problems that show up in sketcher shaded etc, that are resolved by running software GL. However software GL is slow.

So I am looking at replacing it with something economical but a proven Open GLx.x ( or what ever VX supports).

Any recommendations for both AGP 8X and PCI.?

Someone mentioned a card that could be tweaked to FX4000! for a lot less dosh...

Cheers,

ChrisWard2k2

Message 2 of 17

06-04-2006 07:49 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Hi Paul

The Post is in "Other VX Discussions" page 3.

Paul

Message 3 of 17

10-04-2006 11:07 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Hmmm, not what I was thinking off. I thought someone was telling how they had tweaked a cheaper card to FX4000... Could I have seen it on another site I wonder..?
Cheers

Steve

Message 4 of 17

11-04-2006 01:48 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
I've done this in the past(tweaked a GeForce to be a Quadro). It's not worth the effort IMHO. The "seat of the pants" wasn't that much greater.

Paul

Message 5 of 17

11-04-2006 04:47 . pm   |   View his/her posts only

Cool Steve,
That's the reality check. What model card & bus did you start with and are you happy with it's performance in the untweaked state?
Cheers

Steve

Message 6 of 17

13-04-2006 11:28 . am   |   View his/her posts only
IIRC it was a GeForce FX5700 Ultra, "Soft Quadroed" in to a Quadro 1100. AGP 8x Bus.
Right now, here at work I use a GeForce FX6800GT, and at home I use a GeForce FX7800GT/OC.

VX Just flies on the box at home. Which is an Athlon 64 3800, 2 gig of ram, and the 7800. I think the performance jump using the Athlon 64 at home, VS using the Intel P4 3.4GHZ here at work. It has more to do with the processor, than the video card IMHO.

Now, has anyone used the ATI X1600 series graphics cards? I plan on buying a Macbook PRO for home use, and would like to dual boot windows, and run VX on it. The Macbook pro uses the X1600 graphics chipset.

OldForumPost

Message 7 of 17

14-04-2006 12:23 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
I am an AMD fan too but the new Dell M65 or M90 looks like a great notebook, especially with the Quadro video cards.

The intel chips for mobile are nearly as good as the AMD64's...and they are dual core. As you know Dells are pretty inexpensive compared to botique portable workstations like Sager notebook/Alienware/Voodoo.

Kevin

Message 8 of 17

18-04-2006 04:20 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Steve,

If you do go down the Mac route let us all know how this works. We use a mixed Mac/PC network here. Ideally I'd like to run just Mac hardware (have a heavy investment in Mac graphics software and I prefer Macs) and the idea of dual boot appeals....and I'd like to reclaim some desk space. My understanding of running Boot Camp though was that it runs but there are no heavy duty drivers available for the Mac hardware in Windows, so things like OpenGL runs slowly. Not tested that so I can't say if its true.

ChrisWard2k2

Message 9 of 17

20-04-2006 04:37 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Hi chaps

there is a further consideration - not all cards using the same GPU are equal, some manufacturers doing a better job than others. So, compare cards of the same chip - look for recent magazine bench tests etc.

Paul

Message 10 of 17

26-06-2006 07:56 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Hi All,
in the interests of completeness here is I what I did and found.
I purchased a GeForce 6600GT AGP card. (PCI next box). Overall this seems an excellent card. I certainly dont have anything to stress it.
However, I still have some annoying issues within the VX environment, sketcher in particular which I am not sure are simply my system problem or ...

The highlight pick fails to highlight in the chosen color. Mostly in sketches that have been worked over a bit and especially if they have some constraint issues. Then I get picks that look like reference lines and others that simply do not change color. Moving the cursor away leaves them as if picked.
I also get all lines vanishing after doing an constraint enquire which requires a redraw to fix. Is it VX or my system?

Is it just me?

Cheers

OldForumPost

Message 11 of 17

27-06-2006 07:28 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Hello Paul,

On my PC I have a GeForce 6800, on my laptop a NVIDA Quadro, I tried it with 11.X and 12.X and have no problems.
The reseller from Italy told me about some problems ... but now he has installed the latest driver now all is ok.

Strange on the German web page is a newer driver than on the *.com page

http://www.nvidia.de/object/winxp_2k_91.31_de.html

Perhaps that help

Kevin

Message 12 of 17

27-06-2006 08:38 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Just had a chat with a guy who trains Cinema4D animation software. He says (he used to work for Maxon) that the only difference between games cards and high end CAD cards are that drivers in games cards are designed for high frame rate performance, whereas CAD cards are designed for stability. In his testing apps like Cinema perfromed better with the high end games cards. This would also bear out with other apps as well. In my ThinkDesign days the recommended cards were high end games rather than high end CAD.

The card to avoid was Wildcat as this only seems to run well with certain apps in certain configurations.

ChrisWard2k2

Message 13 of 17

28-06-2006 08:52 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Hi Paul

I know you have ensured that the most up-to-date driver is installed for your card - did that fix the problem? Also, ensure that the card is firmly seated in the slot and that the cooling is nothing less than excellent - an over heated card will respond with poor graphics. Absolute top quality cables and connections are necessary too - any interference (which can eminate from the PC/Monitor or your power supply) will cause problems.

The main difference between "CAD" cards and "Games" cards is the graphics software that drives them. Most games use Microsoft's DirectX, some use a special sub-set of OpenGL. Most CAD systems, including VX, require full OpenGL to be supported. Make sure that Full OpenGL is enabled for the card (there may be a setting in it's control panel that has full OpenGL suppressed by default).

Kevin

Message 14 of 17

04-07-2006 05:25 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Chris,

What are VX's plans to support DirectX in Windows Vista, as my understanding of this is that Vista will use DirectX as a the major graphics display technology, moving away from OpenGL?

ChrisWard2k2

Message 15 of 17

04-07-2006 11:21 . am   |   View his/her posts only

Hi Kevin

Well, I think the CAD industry generally were interested in taking a stand against Microsoft's idea because OpenGL has served us so well. It seemed as though MS wanted to force everyone to use their own standard, DirectX, for commercial reasons to their benefit. However, it is a fact that, though there are a lot of us, CAD Users are a very small minority in terms of graphics cards - the card manufacturers are not overly interested in us at all, they make their money supporting games. So, with SGI gone, Microsoft's proposal to phase-out OpenGL in favour of the ever-improving DirectX does make some sense. The news media have chosen to expand the story maybe a little bit too far. We are a year or so away from the first Vista release and several years away from new-architecture graphics cards that could not be addressed favourably with the current OpenGL versions, if indeed nVidia and ATI choose to go in that direction. There was a time when DirectX performance was inferior and of course not cross-platform. Now DirectX is usually the game programmer's first choice and since the platforms are converging hardware wise, it probably won't be long before everything goes Windows...........

So, the crystal ball says that VX might have to move over to DirectX some day, but there is no urgent need to do so now.

Steve

Message 16 of 17

05-07-2006 12:17 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
It will make doing cross platform development more difficult though, by switching to DirectX.
I can see by many of the input boxes, and dialogs that VX still has it's roots in the Unix world.

I just can't see ProE or UG switching to DirectX any time soon. Especially UG with their new NX port to the Mac >
I'd love to see a Linux and Mac version of VX. But I can certainly see why it's not really feasable.

ChrisWard2k2

Message 17 of 17

05-07-2006 07:48 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Well actually, the way VX forms work is not so dissimilar to the way XAML on Windows Vista is intended to work, just more workman like than graphical. It is a good architecture that will port well to just about any OS but of course VX is currently OpenGL based. The style of the forms is unix-like, but I feel that they are clear, easy to use and fast - all desirable aspects of a good GUI. Don't worry though, VX Corp knows DirectX, we can introduce it when the time is right. There has to be a clear advantage for the Users or fait accompli from the OS to make the investment of time worthwhile.
See also
X