Assy Alignment Help

Subscribe Topic

edgar

Message 1 of 4

Assy Alignment Help
09-05-2006 04:36 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
I am slowly getting up to speed with VX 11.8, well, I can at least make a part and get it into draft and get a drawing. I am trying to come to grips with assemblies and I am having some difficulty getting things to place and orient as I want. I have attached a vx drawing file to illustrate my frustration. I am sure the answer is quite simple, but I already have spent an afternoon trying to figure it out.

I am tryng to get the rod not to be flush with the bottom of the block, I want it recessed 5mm (offset z positive). I got it concentric but I have seen no way to axially align the rod. There is offset under alignment edit, but that is not what I need, that offsets in a y direction. What is the right way to put it as I described? Also, the hole thru the rod is aligned along the x axis, I want it 45

Steve

Message 2 of 4

09-05-2006 05:14 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
I've attached a small AVI screen capture... Your initial alignment wasn't correct. I think your problem is, VX defaults to "critical" instead of "on entity" when aligning components. Watch the video, you'll see what I mean

Paul

Message 3 of 4

09-05-2006 05:19 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Hi Edge,
I have attached a corrected file or your part.
here are the steps I took.
On inserting the first part chose to anchor it. You can do this after by RMB on the part and choose anchor too.
Insert the pin. Align concentric first. I find choosing alignments in an order that allows me to select the next alignment feature helps. e.g. not obsucred by a half baked alignment.
Then align the pin faced coincident and apply the 5mm offset. Try changing alignment to Opposite if it goes the wrong way.
TIP: When doing an alignment RMB will allow a Critical or On entity selection. On entity is often easier to see and for selecting faces.
Angle. I selected the a vertical and the bore of the pin hole then the angle symbol and dial up 45deg.
TIP: You can turn on External Datums via the View Menu which will allow you to see the planes on the incoming parts. These can also be aligned. Itcan also getquite cluttered.
TIP: You can use the filter to help select the right type of feature for your alignment - face, edge etc.
Hope it helps.
Cheers

Paul

Message 4 of 4

09-05-2006 05:21 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Now where datfile go?
See also
X