CAD/CAM discussion forum > 3D CAD/CAM > User Menu Macros *STILL* disapear...

User Menu Macros *STILL* disapear...

Subscribe Topic

Steve

Message 1 of 14

User Menu Macros *STILL* disapear...
22-05-2006 04:52 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
I'm under the impression this problem was supposed to be fixed back in 10.2 or so. But every version since then, at some point in time VX will crash, and I will lose my user menu/macros. And everything I've tried to get them back, has been a futile attempt.

So, I'd like to use the new "lib3d" stuff. But unfortunately, it's gone now off my user menu.
I've tried deleting everything in the "supp" directory, and reinstall. And still no luck.

So my question is, how do I fix this? And when is VX going to see this PERMANENTLY fixed? It's getting a bit frustrating.

Thanks...

Steve

Message 2 of 14

22-05-2006 05:32 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Okay, I delete *EVERYTHING* in the supp directory under user12.41, along with everything in the aplibs, and delete the vxconfig and vxpaths file. Delete the irunin.dat, irunin.lng, irunin.ini files. Re-install Lib3d.

open up the current multi-object file
open a part object(0200_B_PLATE)

And low and behold, the user menu is BACK with Lib3D in it!

So I go to change some things in the config file....

Enable Session Management, Backup Session before regen clicked. Show Hints off, auto open error window off, Maximum undo/redo set to 100, compact on.
Eneable gradient background on
VX file directory is changed to C:Jobs

VX Reboots...

Open up the SAME object as before(0200_B_PLATE), and wouldn't ya know... The User menu is EMPTY again!!!
So, this is getting SERIOUSLY frustrating at this point.

ChrisWard2k2

Message 3 of 14

22-05-2006 08:20 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Hi Steve

Understand your frustrations. Really not sure what the cause is because all has been well with the User Toolbars for some time now. As you seem to have discovered, the toolbar files (which are plain ascii text files) are stored in the User supp folder. These files have an extension of ".t" when VX is not running. When VX is running, they become ".taf". Now, it is possible that you experienced a crash, or perhaps an apparently less severe failure, that caused VX to halt and not therefore restore the ".taf" files to being ".t", ready for the next launch. If VX is then launched, the User Toolbars will not showup because VX did not find any ".t" files. If you shutdown VX and then open the supp folder, see if you can find any ".taf" files. If you do find them, re-name them to ".t".

Concerning 3D Lib, it is very important to ensure that you are running the correct version. 3D lib is currently released in tandem with the VX releases and they must be matched. I hope this helps.

Steve

Message 4 of 14

25-05-2006 02:32 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
It seems my entire problem stems from changin the "VX File Directory". If I leave that alone, the macros continue to work fine.

ChrisWard2k2

Message 5 of 14

25-05-2006 06:09 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Ah yes, macros often need to have certain file locations hard-coded.

Steve

Message 6 of 14

26-05-2006 12:02 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Well, spoke too soon. They're gone *AGAIN*

ChrisWard2k2

Message 7 of 14

26-05-2006 12:51 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Hi Steve

Depressing end to the week! Did you check for the .t/.taf scenario I described before? are you losing "only" the 3Dlib toolbar or others as well? I think the quickest solution now is probably to do an un-install/re-install of VX and 3Dlib, at least to know that everything is back to the way each expects the other to be.

Steve

Message 8 of 14

26-05-2006 01:15 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Depression is an understatement...
Yeah, that's my next step, uninstall VX, and reinstall everything.
I've zipped up my current user directory and am sending it off to VX to see WHY this keeps happening to me. I can get any macros to work any longer. There really needs to be a less fragile solution to the current macro toolbars.

ChrisWard2k2

Message 9 of 14

19-12-2006 08:35 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Hi Steve, everyone.

Quick update. If you are using VX Session Management to access more than one VX file at a time (good practise), then this may actually be why the User toolbars suddenly go missing, strange little bug in there somewhere but we can reliably repeat the fault so I hope the guys can fix the problem quickly. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Already fixed for v12.66

Steve

Message 10 of 14

20-12-2006 10:21 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Chris, that is EXACTLY what I do, session management.
I need to, really. I work on up to 5 jobs at a time. Having to save, and close each job would be a bit tedious to say the least. But MUCH faster now with the dual Sata2/300 drives in a raid 0 array

But, honestly, I haven't had a problem recently with the disappearing... But I do back up my user directory nightly on to a NAS device. So JUST IN CASE....

ChrisWard2k2

Message 11 of 14

20-12-2006 12:46 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Hi Steve

We are hoping to release v12.66 fairly quickly, delivering a solution to the toolbar problem and some CAM things.

My desktop PC booked it's trip to IT heaven a few days ago (RIP), so I have gathered together some new components, including a SATA drive - never mind the speed, they are much easier to install!

Mike

Message 12 of 14

20-12-2006 04:38 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
I am providing a link to 12.66. It is not on the support page yet but is coming soon. The only reason you would need to download this is if you are using Session Management and have any User toolbars. This would include ones you have created and the Lib3D toolbar for molds/moulds. The key is Session Management. If you don't run with the Session Management enabled you won't see the problem and don't need to download.

http://files2.vx.com/ftproot/dist/vx12651266w-full.rar

You can copy and paste this to your browser. If you prefer ZIP, just change the extension.

Steve

Message 13 of 14

21-12-2006 08:32 . am   |   View his/her posts only
I'm just happy you guys found the source of the problem.
It was a frustrating for a while there...

Katsuyasu

Message 14 of 14

25-12-2006 10:34 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
I am worried that V12.65 is uploaded on VX site. (Not V12.66)
I think V12.66 should be uploaded on it. Or do you have any problem in V12.66?

By the way I could get the V12.66. And I confirmed that it had no problem about toolbars.

Yasu Konno in Machineware
See also
X