CAD/CAM discussion forum > 3D CAD/CAM > Mirror Component

Mirror Component

Subscribe Topic

Randy

Message 1 of 6

Mirror Component
19-06-2006 10:31 . am   |   View his/her posts only
When regenerating an object file containing a mirrored component I'm required to overwrite the mirror in order to update the changes.
In doing so some operations lose their associativity in my assembly; ie, alignment and texture attributes.
The mirrored feature was created as a component file in order to maintain an accurate BOM (left and right).
I'd like to know if there's a way to keep these operations associated in my assembly or should I put this on my wish list for the next CAD development revolution.

Randy

Message 2 of 6

19-06-2006 02:50 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Update: Mirroring a shape instead of a component works fine. Assembly and all associativity updated with no problems. Looks like the problem is in Mirror Component.

ChrisWard2k2

Message 3 of 6

19-06-2006 04:21 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Hi Wassmer1

The component mirror command does work correctly. It should only be required if you genuinely require a "handed" object. For example, lets say you have inserted a bolt into a fastener hole in your assembly. You have another fastener position and wish to use the same bolt. That is the key - it must be the same component (Part Object) in order to truely be the same bolt. So, you have some choices - instance the same bolt into the assembly again but this time placed at the other hole, or you could use any pattern copy method. The result in your BOM will be "Bolt, quantity 2".

The time you will need to mirror a component is when the part is "handed". For example, you have a specially shaped bracket on the left-hand-side of your assembly. You need a similar bracket design for the right-hand-side, but the left-hand bracket could not be installed there - you need a right-handed version, which is a mirror. This is very often the case in motor vehicle and aircraft structures (e.g., the right-hand wing assembly of an aircraft is mostly a mirror of the left-hand wing). So, we have established that a mirrored component is a seperate Part Object in it's own right, it will require it's own manufacturing data (even if that data is largely a reference to it's handed cousin). The result in your BOM will be "Left Hand Bracket, quantity 1, Right Hand Bracket, quantity 1".

Randy

Message 4 of 6

20-06-2006 12:45 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
In order to update a mirrored "component" after its parent has been modified I'm required to "overwrite" the mirror during regenerate. This causes loss of associativity as I mentioned.
My question is what is the benefit of using mirror "component" and loosing associativity vs creating a file, adding a component, and mirror "shape" which has no loss of associativity when updated?

ChrisWard2k2

Message 5 of 6

20-06-2006 08:33 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Hi again Wassmer1

I'm sorry but I will need more details from you (a simple example file, note of the VX version you are using). The system should not be overwriting the mirror in the way you describe, it is technically a refresh of the Part Object that is automatically created by the mirror. However, it could be you - there should be no aligns associated with the mirror object until after the mirror in history.

ChrisWard2k2

Message 6 of 6

21-06-2006 08:01 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Hi again Wassmer1
Well, cancel that request! I have reproduced the problem, a definite bug, sorry. The work-around to, say, make a RHS bracket from a LHS bracket:

1) Create a new Part Object for the LHS Bracket;
2) Use Insert Component Merge to bring in the RHS Bracket;
3) Mirror Shape.

See also
X