CAD/CAM discussion forum > 3D CAD/CAM > Solidworks Stinks!!! I need a hug

Solidworks Stinks!!! I need a hug

Subscribe Topic

warren

Message 1 of 5

Solidworks Stinks!!! I need a hug
11-07-2006 02:28 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Hello my fellow VXr's

I regret to inform you my self employment business BASED on VX has led me to an 18 month contract I muct use EXCLUSIVELY Solidworks for designing a certain aircraft that shall remain un-named. While the aircraft is exceptional the choice of Solidowrks is not.

I miss my precious VX surface capabilities. Solidworks CAN NOT COME CLOSE to VX for design. They try to but they are years behind. I try and try to convince them (the boss) to use VX BUT!!! They stick with what they have already. And let me tell you. IT SUCKS!!!

I always took for granted how powerful VX was until I had to work without it.

Gotta pay the bills though.

CNCSURF

PS don't tell them I cheat and use VX when they aren't looking.

Kevin

Message 2 of 5

11-07-2006 04:22 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Sorry to hear that CNC. What specifically in SolidWorks can't it do that VX can, and vice versa? I've got my usual deluge to SolidWorks VARs onto me now that 2006 is released saying the surfacing is so much better etc etc. And the demos do look convincing...but... a demo is a demo. Way back in '96 when I ran the development department of a (now) customer we opted for SolidWorks over VX (VX was Unix then) and I' used it right up to 2005. I always found SW to be very robust history wise (more so than VX), but VX is much more direct.

Kevin

Message 3 of 5

11-07-2006 08:10 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Also my usual answer is I only buy from companies that offer worldwide pricing equivalence. SolidWorks in the USA is $3995, SolidWorks in the UK is

ChrisWard2k2

Message 4 of 5

11-07-2006 11:45 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Hi cncsurf

Commiserations are indeed due. At VX Corp we refrain from "dishing" the competition - it's a big wide world and there is room enough for all sorts - take your pick according to your preference. There is no need for us to be nasty about other's products, we can at least respect the hard work it takes to produce them. However, I have spent most of my engineering career in the aircraft industry (VC-10FR, Concorde, Tornado, EFA, Hawk, 146, Airbus Family et al) and I would never have expected to hear of SW being used for aircraft work - I feel it really isn't suitable for aircraft structures, especially if Class A surfaces are involved. VX's surface modelling is generally much closer to the expensive high-end CAD that is usually used to define aircraft (VX mostly being both faster and easier to use too). Ah well, may be your boss will see the light some time in the future........

Kevin

Message 5 of 5

31-08-2006 07:38 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Many smaller aircraft companies are using so called mid range solutions in conjunction with high end systems like CATIA or UG. I know several aircraft components makers using SolidWorks and SolidEdge for things like undercarriage design, seating, and general mechanism design for items like doors and internal fittings. For example, Scaled Composites in the USA, a small but very highly regarded outfit (think of the Spaceship10 and Voyager) use a combination of CATIA, SolidWorks and Ashlar-Vellum software. Adams use SolidEdge and Unigraphics. Having said all that, CATIA has wiped the market pretty much, especially with supply chain deals like the Airbus CATIA package.
See also
X