CAD/CAM discussion forum > Other CAD/CAM Technology > Simpler way to chamfer this?

Simpler way to chamfer this?

Subscribe Topic

edgar

Message 1 of 6

Simpler way to chamfer this?
07-10-2006 05:13 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
I have attached a file that shows a post on which I am chamfering the corners. The Vertex chamfer command would seem to be the one to use, but apparently all sides must be equal, (or maybe I am just not using it correctly). I did do one corner as you see by using a 3 point plane. I figured I could just mirror my way around, but it is not possible to mirror a plane around a plane, or so it seems. I then thought to mirror the sketch, but I could not do that either, the command line said sketches are LOCKED. I also thought to try copy paste the plane, which I think could have worked, but I was experiencing a great deal of grief trying to place it where I wanted it, so I gave that up.

If you were to have a lot of corners to chamfer as shown, what method or methods would get me the quickest and most reliable results? If am not fully understanding a command I have tried above, some suggestions would be welcomed and I will try again.

Thanks in advance for any direction.

ChrisWard2k2

Message 2 of 6

08-10-2006 02:21 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Hello Edge

Well, your task as you have presented it is really a lot easier to accomplish in VX. The vertex chamfer command is for symetrical chamfers, so that does not meet your requirement, but the method to use is pretty simple and you are nearly there. Having positioned a plane representing the chamfer position, you can simply pattern the plane to the other three corners, and then trim your solid with all four planes in one go. That saves drawing a Sketch and extruding a cut. You also do not need a further Sketch for the other portion of the post, which can be produced as a boss, which saves having to perform a Boolean add too. If you step through the history of the attached file, you can see how this is all done. For the pattern, I had to insert a centreline. It would have been better to have had your original Sketch such that it's centre was at 0,0 - thus the global Z axis could be picked for the pattern, and later, if this post is itself to be arrayed in an assembly, positioning would be easier. Hope this helps.

Paul

Message 3 of 6

08-10-2006 10:34 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Just for fun, here is another take, patterning a feature, perhaps the less knowledgeable like myself would have taken.
Cool tip - patterning planes and the multiple plane trim. Thanks Chris
Cheers,

Mike

Message 4 of 6

17-10-2006 01:00 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Going on the therory that it is never too late to contribute an opinion, here is another choice.
If you draw a line along the centerline of the part, you can actually pattern your original cut command.

You can pick the Extrude3_Cut command from the graphics window or the history tree.

ChrisWard2k2

Message 5 of 6

18-10-2006 05:20 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Well, my solution is out-numbered now, but in my defence I would point out that the title seeks a "simpler way"............

edgar

Message 6 of 6

04-11-2006 10:14 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Thanks to all for the assistance. I learned some more about VX! Thanks Chris for the extrude boss command, I was not aware I could use it like that, and Mike, I learned while in a command, I could just Tab back to the history tree to select a feature. There are just so many little "tricks" one can use to help make make modeling easier... you just have to learn where they are and how to use them.

Edge
See also
X