CAD/CAM discussion forum > Other CAD/CAM Technology > Properly containing toolpath

Properly containing toolpath

Subscribe Topic

Mike

Message 1 of 7

Properly containing toolpath
16-10-2006 02:09 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Please bear with me on all the posts. I'm just getting back into VX and learning a lot as I go. Here is one problem that I can't seem to solve, how to properly contain toolpath with QM. I have attached a representative part that I'm having trouble with. Look specifically at the last operation, the Lace 1. This is the best I could do with this path, but it doesn't clean up the "nose" of the part. I am using angular containment to keep it from wanting to cut the flat area. I have to keep the angle at 1.5 to keep it from cutting the periphery of the flat top surface (why does it do that?). Ideally, I'd like to be able to set the min. angle at something like .1, set the % overcut to 10 and have it cut within the stock like I think it should. When I do that I get lots of little cuts and lifts around the periphery. It's obvious that "simple box" isn't what I want, but then what? I have tried setting the containment type to "containment" and added a "contain" type stock to the features list, but that doesn't seem to do anything.

Thanks for any advice,

Mike Leslie
Falcon Corporation

ChrisWard2k2

Message 2 of 7

16-10-2006 04:19 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Hi Mike

I have not studied your file as yet but it sounds like you need to define a containment profile. Add the profile to the CAM Plan either by picking geom on the Part, or by simply defining a Sketch. This containment is then added as a feature to the Operation, in the cam tree, and "User defined" containment selected in the Parameters.

Dan

Message 3 of 7

16-10-2006 04:35 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
You just need to create a containment for that path. I append here a pix with one I think it solves your problem.

Mike

Message 4 of 7

16-10-2006 04:56 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Yes, that did it. I actually had a chance to speak to Jim McDonald today and he shed some light on several things for me.

Thanks guys!

Mike

ChrisWard2k2

Message 5 of 7

16-10-2006 05:45 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Hi Mike

You might also like to clean-up the Part model a little bit too, it has an un-intended step from fillet face to flat face.

Mike

Message 6 of 7

17-10-2006 05:28 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Yes, the model is not that great. Jim mentioned that too. For our purposes (sheet metal stamping) the model is just fine. The cuts seemed to come out looking really good too. The model came from a parasolid translation out of SolidWorks. When I mentioned that to Jim he said "say no more". heheh. Any chance that we might see a direct SW import in the future? The SW people tell us VX is a Gold Partner, whatever that means. Solidworks happens to be our main in-house die design solution, so it would be really helpful to have that direct import.

Thanks again,
Mike

ChrisWard2k2

Message 7 of 7

17-10-2006 08:21 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Hello Mike

In the near future, no, the SW format is a closed book, but it is of course basically a parasolids flavour. Depending on the SW version, STEP can be useful and IGES is certainly worth trying too. Further, the future of the SW database is uncertain, since they belong to Dassault Systemes now and thus an amalgamation in some way with Catia v5 is expected. The geometry errors in your model are likely to be present in the native SW file and are not caused by a translation issue. It is probably not SW "bad geom" either, more likely the CAD User has inadvertently caused the problems during model modification.
See also
X