CAD/CAM discussion forum > 3D CAD/CAM > Affordable Space Mouse.

Affordable Space Mouse.

Subscribe Topic

Steve

Message 1 of 7

Affordable Space Mouse.
08-12-2006 04:44 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
I've been using an OLD Spacemouse for a couple of years now on and off. But this is the 1st *REALLY* affordable one from logitech/3Dconnexion.

http://3dconnexionstore.com/itemDetail.asp?T1=56826423N

ChrisWard2k2

Message 2 of 7

09-12-2006 11:29 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Hi Steve

Looks interesting but possibly a little bit limited for CAD professionals. However, they have reduced the price of the whole range so maybe that brings the SpacePilot into the VX User's budget. I know that the VX'ers who use the SpacePilot absolutely love the device.

If anyone does try the SpaceNavigator, please let the forum know your opinion.

Kevin

Message 3 of 7

09-12-2006 12:20 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
I've got the Space Navigator and the SpaceBall. The small one is perfect for the laptop - the spaceball is a bit large to lug around. Works really well.

ChrisWard2k2

Message 4 of 7

10-12-2006 06:27 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Hi Kevin

How about the ergonomics of the SpaceNavigator, is it good for prolonged use? Is the construction of the device robust enough to be used every day?

Paul

Message 5 of 7

10-12-2006 02:05 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
I have a Spaceball 4000 which I find is a bit clumsy with VX althought the latest software makes a difference.
I needed up in Chris's camp using F2 and the mouse. I kinda think this is hard to beat if using a decent trackball as primary input.
Mouse alteratives (sorta on topic isn't it)
A while back I retired a worn out (guide balls had flats) Microsoft Trackball Optical. This was a really nice device, sized for mens hands and requiring very small effort to operate all buttons.
I replaced it with a Logitech Trackman Wheel but it aint up to the task for a couple of reasons. 1) It is basically too small for my hands 2) The middle click requires significant force for prolonged VX use. (even after removing the spring and only pushing the microswitch)

Unfortunmately Microsoft have stopped making the Trackball Optical. My preference is a thumb operated ball. At the moment I am on teh hunt for second hand (no pun intended) MS units.

I recently met a CAD operator of 13 years who has had to change occupation due to a complicated RSI/OOS outcome traced to the fine motor control effort reuired using a mouse continuously. The effects go beyond physical damage and discomfort as apparently the fine motor control section of the brain becomes disrupted and basic actions like balance and visual perception can be effected. All a bit of a surprise to me.

So I am interested to know what devices folks find really comfortable for primary input.

Cheers

ChrisWard2k2

Message 6 of 7

11-12-2006 03:11 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Hi Mudcrab

There are a couple of solutions that might be worth looking at. Try a search for AirO2bic. http://www.quillmouse.co.uk/en/quill.htm

Kevin

Message 7 of 7

11-12-2006 06:16 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
It is a bit small maybe for full on hard core use but as a laptop device it is great value. Personally I find it as responsive as the SpaceBall. I never got the hang of all the buttons on these things so havign just 2 isn't an issue to me!
See also
X