CAD/CAM discussion forum > 3D CAD/CAM > 3D Connexion products and VX

3D Connexion products and VX

Subscribe Topic

Kevin

Message 1 of 19

3D Connexion products and VX
03-01-2007 05:49 . am   |   View his/her posts only
I am using a 3D Connexion Spaceball and Navigator with VX and all other CAD software. Whilst it works very well for rotation/panning/zooming the real power of these devices hasn;t been fully utilised by VX (unless I am doing something wrong!).

With SolidWorks and CATIA the spaceball can be used for the above, but also to rotate and move parts within assembly files. I have recently tried this and it makes a hell of a difference when modelling.

How hard is it to turn on this capability for VX?

Mike

Message 2 of 19

03-01-2007 08:16 . am   |   View his/her posts only
I don't think the Users are going to know the answer to this. This request will need a PCR.

ChrisWard2k2

Message 3 of 19

03-01-2007 09:12 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Hello Kevin

In Catia, the component being moved is "attached" to the cursor in a similar way to VX (insert component, drag component), so perhaps you already can do this with the newer SpacePilot. However, there is some (D-Cubed) 3D "snapping" technology used by Catia which is currently not incorporated into VX, and it is this technology that is delivering the assembly capability you see rather than the pointing device itself.

Kevin

Message 4 of 19

03-01-2007 09:54 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Could be Chris...no idea. All I know is that in SolidWorks you get a new 3D menu with the Space Ball/Navigator installed and one of the options in that is to apply device movements to assembly parts. From what I can see there is one driver for the various devices - the new Navigator one works with the space ball for example on a machine that had no spaceball driver installed.

On the subject of D-Cubed.....nice to see VX is now using that.....according to Novedge anyway :-)

Robert

Message 5 of 19

03-01-2007 10:37 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Kevin,

Mike's right... we need you to write a PCR (especially since we're enhancing our D-Cubed implementation for versions 13 and 14).

This technique sounds cool and I'd like some examples of what you can do so that I can liaise with our development team.

thanks,

OldForumPost

Message 6 of 19

03-01-2007 12:14 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
While we're on the subject of 3D Connexions implementation, is there a why of changing the centre of rotation for large models? I haven't found a way of changing it from the 0,0,0 point. Other systems do this is various ways - explicity picking the centre of rotation, using the currently selected item (curve/body etc.) as the centre, or avoid the problem by always rotating around the centre of the current view.

Kevin

Message 7 of 19

03-01-2007 12:41 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
What do you need to see Bob? Would a movie help, or screenshots from SolidWorks?

You mention D-Cubed. Are you changing the sketcher constraint manager to D-cubed? Or is it just the 3D constraints? Just curious as we've batted this around here for some time about the various merits of the VX's sketcher vs others based on the D-Cubed engine. Speaking personally moving to the D-Cubed one would make me happier with VX as a whole - the current one just has too many drawbacks for me. (But I don't want to get into another VX sketcher pros and cons session ;-) - I'm taking about me personally).

Finally finally - exactly how do you raise a PCR?

Mike

Message 8 of 19

03-01-2007 04:27 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Owen,

This is a two part answer. First, use the set view rotation origin command(ctrl+1). Second, see the 3D connexions Control Panel. One of the buttons should already be defined as Toggle Rotation Origin. Hit that button and the rotation should now occur about the point you selected in step one.

Mike

Message 9 of 19

03-01-2007 04:28 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Kevin,

You need to contact Akela, your reseller. They will issue the PCR on your behalf.

Randy

Message 10 of 19

06-01-2007 11:48 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Mike,
Rotating around the current center of view as Owen mentioned without having to constantly change rotation origins would be fantastic. Would this be a 3D Connexion or VX enhancement? Is this a practical request?
Randy

ChrisWard2k2

Message 11 of 19

06-01-2007 02:08 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
That would be useful function for non-spacepilot Users too and I think we should be able to code for current screen view center picked when an F key is held down (or programmed key on the input device).

Steve

Message 12 of 19

07-01-2007 03:01 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
On thing I miss from my PowerShape days is the rotational center is always set to the selected object. If nothing is selected, it's the active datum.

Kevin

Message 13 of 19

07-01-2007 04:38 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Most other apps I use have 3 options:

Centre of active workplane (origin)
Centre of selected object
Selected point, axis, or face

Mike

Message 14 of 19

08-01-2007 09:11 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Owen, Randy, Steve, Chris and Kevin,

I hope that the consensus is that you want the origin to be selectable by you as opposed to VX choosing some arbitrary center.

I think we give you the best options right now. But let's review:

1. (0,0,0) (current default) (center of the view for a high percentage of designs)
2. center of the current view
3. center of a selected entity, line, edge, face, datum, etc (our current implementation of the spaceball)
4. center of the active Datum (this has the same issue as #1 if the part is large or part is built to CAR COORDINATES)

hmmmm, center of the view does eliminate the need to pick the center. I like it!!!!
I think a good enhancement would be to either change to #2 or put all these choices in the configuration file and let the customer choose.

If you as the most active participants in the VX Forum come to a consensus here, then you should all enter a PCR.

ChrisWard2k2

Message 15 of 19

08-01-2007 03:03 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Everyone is welcome to email me with their request on this issue and I will raise a PCR, copied to all.

ChrisWard2k2

Message 16 of 19

09-01-2007 10:08 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Hello All, This is my edited version of Mike Lynch's list:

1. Center of the 3D Model view (X0,Y0,Z0) (current VX default, good for a high percentage of designs) .
2. Center of the current Screen view.
3. Any 3D point of a selected entity, line, edge, face, datum, etc, logical snap to critical point when nearest to cursor.

4. Center of the active Local Datum. Good if the part is large or part is in world ordinates rather than local coordinates.
5. Center of active component's datum.

Display these origin options in a similar way to how option buttons are used for 3D view display (shaded/wireframe/hidden line etc) on the top toolbar.

Questions:

a) Is the above what everyone wants in 3D?
b) What about 2D?

Kevin

Message 17 of 19

09-01-2007 10:17 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Chris,

I sent an email today to Rhys at Akela with the following requests:

1. Rotation by origin
2. Rotation by centre of selected object
3. Rotation by centre of selected entity (face/point/curve)

Paul

Message 18 of 19

09-01-2007 02:18 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Hi Chris,
I reckon that about covers it. The view style menu works well, especially as it toggles the last two selections.

For me the 2D controls are fine.

Cheers

warren

Message 19 of 19

27-03-2007 12:11 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Heck. I've never had a problem using my USB space traveller (same one on Mainframe and Laptop). I'm just in the habit of picking (what I like to call) my gravity point with a programmed button and getting on with my work.

Though it sounds to me like another comparison of VX vs SW. Yes Solidworks (inventor, alibre, SE, etc) have honed the user interface to be simple but they did it at the expense of power. One client of mine went to the expense of PURCHASING ME a license of solidworks 2007 just so he could keep native data that was useless anyway. And I don't mind bragging I am an expert in solidworks, but SW doesn't come close to the power and flexibility of VX.

I guess the point is I have no problems between SW or VX with the space traveller.
See also
X