CAD/CAM discussion forum > 3D CAD/CAM > Editing Conic Rho values

Editing Conic Rho values

Subscribe Topic

Kevin

Message 1 of 8

Editing Conic Rho values
12-01-2007 07:43 . am   |   View his/her posts only
VX has some fantastic curve tools and my personal favourite is the conic...but....if I place a conic (by tangent controls) I get the option to set the rho value- whaich is great for making adjustments to the curve. OK. I model the part then need to edit the conic so I edit the sketch and edit the conic....but...now I don;t have an option to edit the rho...I just get pushed into the standard spline editing command...hmm.

So, is there a way to simply edit the rho? If not why not?

ChrisWard2k2

Message 2 of 8

12-01-2007 08:42 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Hi Kevin

Yes there is, you can define a 3D conic, which can be edited via history. Something similar is delivered by the ReadySketch Conic.

Kevin

Message 3 of 8

12-01-2007 10:58 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Thanks Chris, just had a chat with Mike about this and he sorted me out a workaround.

Seems that if you use a wireframe conic when you return to edit it you get access to the Conic Ratio (Rho) setting, so it is usable.

Can I suggest an enhancement though?

Can you add the same editability to the sketch conics? If I place a conic in a sketch I can set the conic ratio and see the update live - great tool. If I then return to the sketch later to tweak the conic I don;t get the same conic ratio control - just the standard nurbs editing, and of course if I delete the original and replace it with another it tends to bugger up the history.

Mike said he suspected the reason it wasn;t in the sketch was that you can;t constrain the conic ratio, but I don;t think you need to worry about this as long as the end and should points are constrained.

How about it?

ChrisWard2k2

Message 4 of 8

12-01-2007 02:47 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Hi Kevin

Try the ReadySketch conic, I think it does what you need.

OldForumPost

Message 5 of 8

16-01-2007 10:04 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Chris, Although the ready sketch does a nice job of the conic thing, What kevin wants to be able to do, is to edit the Rho value of the conic (in the sketcher) just like you can in wireframe, after the curve hase been created. As far as I can tell the only thing you can change in the sketcher is the height and width. Please let me know if this is not the case. We've submitted a PCR on Kevins original request.

ChrisWard2k2

Message 6 of 8

16-01-2007 02:32 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Hello chaps

There currently is no way to edit the rho value of a Sketcher conic, other than to replace the curve with a new one. On many occasions you will be looking to tweak the height or width, which you can do parametrically. As already mentioned, you can edit a 3D conic's rho value as it is in the history tree. Hopefully the PCR can be implemented without too much difficulty, though there is likely to have been a good reason why the curve is described as a spline. I think that reason will be to do with trimming and dimension/constraint to other Sketch entities.

Paul

Message 7 of 8

16-01-2007 03:13 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Hi Guys, there is an easy & cool way to have it all!

If you look at how the Ready Sketch conic is constructed you'll see Cunning Chris has used a T shaped construction geo. In RS a sym geo is assumed, however....

So, make a datum (if none suitable exists, (three point)) where you want the conic curve to lie. Then insert a upside down T shaped sketch with dims controlling all , including transverse position of the vertical line. Exit sketch, and add the 3D conic using the end points of the sketch. Cool part is, since the driving sketch isnt absorbed by the subsequent shape, you can access the dimension without opening the sketch.
You could even copy the con. sketch to clipboard and paste it in where ever you need.

Cheers

Kevin

Message 8 of 8

16-01-2007 06:18 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
If I can weigh in here, Mike's solution is working well (thanks Mike!). Provided the end points and shoulder point of the conic 3D curve touch onto a sketch point or geometry point it can be updated.

I suppose I just found it odd that you couldn't control the rho in a sketch as you already have designer arcs (which are conic like) as well as conic creation tools. Controlling the rho is the easiest way to adjust the shape of the curve and conics are critical to smooth consumer goods.

I think the PCR covers everything I asked for.
See also
X