CAD/CAM discussion forum > 3D CAD/CAM > Printing question

Printing question

Subscribe Topic

Eli

Message 1 of 7

Printing question
15-03-2007 09:19 . am   |   View his/her posts only
I normally export to Autocad for 2d work and printing. Lately I have been using VX to do this, but I still find the 2D inteface a little bit awkward and clunky. One thing I can't seem to resolve is the backround color. For some reason I can only get it to print the backround color, which is a little bit ridiculous, as I am only interested in printing the lines themselves. When I select white as the color, it prints the background as black. Is there any way to make the backround either white on the paper or just nonexistent as you can in a program like photoshop? Also, how do I get paragraphs to work when I am inserting text? Even though I am selecting paragraphs in the text attributes, they never seem to work, no do I have any options as far as formatting them goes.

Eli

Message 2 of 7

15-03-2007 09:27 . am   |   View his/her posts only
I should mention that I am using VX 10.94. I have version going through 11, but the laptop that I use most often on the road handles 10 the best, so I have stuck with that.

ChrisWard2k2

Message 3 of 7

15-03-2007 03:52 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Hi cc

For your text question, have a look at the Raves & Rants Section (Thread Title: Contracts) I have mentioned some tips there. When you start the text command, right-mouse click to pop-up the text editor window. You can enter paragraphs of text there, or import text from your favourite word processor. VX also has a basic text editor with a larger window that can be used for the same job.

Not sure what you are doing with your printing because, by default, VX does exactly what you say you want it to do! However, I wouldn't recommend white lines on a white background It may be that you are just printing directly via the print command, without first setting things up as you want them via the print dialog? In particular, set Windows printing via File/Print Setup, Advanced tab, by loading the "generic_emf.plt" printing driver. For lots of useful info, try a search in the help for "Print Setup".

Kevin

Message 4 of 7

15-03-2007 06:17 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
I might be jumping the gun here but one of the new v13 enhancements is a much more, er, SolidWorks like colour scheme for line and background attributes. From the demo Bob gave it appeared that this was just a matter of setting the user config colours. Is there a way to get this new colour scheme now in v12 (ie can a config file be posted). Also, probably being stupid but I can't seem to change the background colour of the drawing - currently it is Autocad black which I have never used and therefore never like. I prefer a light background with dark lines. Where is this set?

ChrisWard2k2

Message 5 of 7

15-03-2007 07:55 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Hi Kevin

You cannot use a v13 Config file in v12, they are two different animals, but you can set the line colours and background to suit your taste very easily via the Config dialog.

To set the background of a Root Object (Part/Sketch/Drawing Sheet/CamPlan), use Utilities/Configuration/Background.
Each Object can have it's own background colour/image.

Paul

Message 6 of 7

18-03-2007 02:45 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
I run a HP Laserjet B/W printer. When I do colour (from the print dialoge) prints and let the printer handle the colours, the VX print colour setting for colours #15 & #16 are opposite to what I have to use for B&W print outs. e.g. #15 = 16, #16 = 15. This resolves the print issues. I find drawins are much better when using the B&W setting in the print dialoge.

Rather than mucking around with this all the time, get it working correctly with say the Colour output and save as a setup. Then setup as B&W and when sorted save that setup. Then depending on what you are doing, load the appropriate setup.

So whilst printing ait as easy to sort out as some others, it does have a lot more options and flexibility once mastered. It can do almost anything.

Cheers

Mike

Message 7 of 7

19-03-2007 02:31 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Hey cc,

Mudcrab is right. Back in version 10 and 11 it was necessary to go to the color tab and swap pens 15 and 16. There is a restriction when printing that your background can not be set to gradient. Version 12 is set up to print with a white background so you shouln't have to change this setting anymore.

See also
X