CAD/CAM discussion forum > Other CAD/CAM Technology > Need better way for edit of variable radius

Need better way for edit of variable radius

Subscribe Topic

OldForumPost

Message 1 of 9

Need better way for edit of variable radius
17-03-2007 11:53 . am   |   View his/her posts only
When you select a curve to apply a variable edit to you are presented with option to locate where along the curve to apply the radius by distance or percent of length. So far so good. Now when you go back to edit that location you are presented with a different menu asking for the point location, but the RMB button does not present a pick filter such as critical, on entity, along, etc. You can only edit the XYZ coordinates, but on a 3D curve or anything other than orthogonal line you don't know what the coordinates will be (say you want to modify the X coord, you don't know what the Y and Z coord are ahead of time). The only way I can see to implement is to physically locate a point on the curve first, then choose that point when asked. Why not present the same dialog to the user when editing the command as used when making the command in the first place, i.e. allow user to pick distance or percent of length?

ChrisWard2k2

Message 2 of 9

18-03-2007 08:34 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Hi CoulDes

Sorry but my brain is in dim mode - I don't understand what kind of curve edit you are executing, other than it being on a 3D curve. So, please let me know what command you are using, either toolbar + icon number or specific command name (type $report in the command window, use the command, the command name will be printed in the message window).

Mike

Message 3 of 9

19-03-2007 02:13 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Hey CoulDes,

Are you referring to modifying the location of a variable radius attribute? If you need to change the location you should DELETE then ADD a new one. MODIFY is to change the RADIUS and the LOCALLY FLAT attribute only.

Kevin

Message 4 of 9

19-03-2007 05:52 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Maybe related to this maybe not, but when you go back in history to any feature and attempt to edit the feature why does VX make it so hard to deselect the items you already have selected in the dialogues? If you select the dialogue contents and delete it doesn't work, there is no right click option to "replace" or "remove" or "clear selection"....which is the complete reverse of what you do when you actually create it in the first place.

I find this confusing and inconsistent. What we need in VX interface is consistency for all user actions for creation and editing.

Sorry this is a bit off topic but nonetheless is linked to it.

ChrisWard2k2

Message 5 of 9

19-03-2007 07:33 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Hi Kevin

When you step through history to edit a feature, click on the edit button of the field you wish to change. For example, a field that holds a record of entities that are processed by/members of that feature. You then do have right-mouse click options.

Kevin

Message 6 of 9

20-03-2007 02:34 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Thats true Chris but my point is that when you create the geometry you don't do this - the right click options are available out the box. IMO you should be able to go to the history tree - redefine feature - and right click on any dialogue entry rather than having to click the box then right click in the model window. Subtle perhaps, but saves a hell of a lot of clicking. Making it the same for creation and editing justs seems to make more sense to me.

ChrisWard2k2

Message 7 of 9

20-03-2007 05:22 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Hi Kevin

I see what you are saying now - not sure that it is going to save you a "hell of a lot" of clicking though. The reason behind the current design is to ensure that the currently active part of the GUI has the focus. In this case, the field of your choice. This may result in a bit more clicking, but it also helps to ensure that only the values you want to change get changed. During creation mode, the fields that require input (some are optional) are streamlined, prompting as you go along for the fastest possible input of every value needed. So, Creation and Edit are two different things and we have tried to deliver the most appropriate inter-action for each. GUI design is a tricky thing, you cannot please everyone, all of the time. However, you will notice that we enhance our GUI frequently and this is in response to customer opinions.

OldForumPost

Message 8 of 9

27-03-2007 01:40 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Allow me to correct my own mis-understanding. In order to re-select the points/location you have to click on the red icon next to the numeric entry box. Then the same dialog you used to pick the points is available. Before, I was incorrectly clicking in the numeric field thinking I could change the coordinate value there. BTW, what does VX call this little red/yellow/green icon? I don't find a name for it in the manual?

ChrisWard2k2

Message 9 of 9

28-03-2007 04:21 . am   |   View his/her posts only
....Field Edit Button
See also
X