CAD/CAM discussion forum > 3D CAD/CAM > Which screen - size - performance?

Which screen - size - performance?

Subscribe Topic

Paul

Message 1 of 6

Which screen - size - performance?
16-04-2007 11:37 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
I am looking at upgrading my screen - currently a 19" CRT which is not as flash as it used to be... I have been running it in 1280x1024. My nVidia card supports 1600x1024 max.

I am interested in LCD - 22", 1600x1200, 2ms (e.g. Samsung do one) for the simple reason this size seems to be a sweet spot on price $/sq area.

I am out of date as to screen technology suited for CAD/3D... A few years ago LCD was not up the task - is it now?

So, can any one give me good first hand advice if this is a decent idea or not? If not, why? and alternatives...

Cheers

Kevin

Message 2 of 6

17-04-2007 04:06 . am   |   View his/her posts only
I use a Dell Workstation with a 20" CRT at 1280x1024, A Dell laptop precsion M60 with a 15" LCD at 1600x1200, an Apple G5 with Apple 20" LCD (widescreen), and an Apple Intel 20"iMac (same display as the G5 but built in). Of all these I much prefer the Apple display (Dell do the exact same display cheaper) but I tend to run VX on the laptop. I rarely use the Dell desktop anymore as the screen is just way to fuzzy compared to the LCDs.

If you have used a CRT and switch to a good LCD you will wonder how you managed without it. As well as saving all that deskspace!

You just have to watch the video card in that some new LCDs require DV output to run properly.

Another option (seriously - no joke) is the Apple 24" iMac with Windows XP installed. That is a lovely screen and the imac runs very quickly.

ChrisWard2k2

Message 3 of 6

17-04-2007 07:41 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Hi Mudcrab

The bigger the better (the older we get, the more important a big screen becomes :-) ). That Samsung sounds very nice (Samsung are VXers, may be VX was used to design it, you never know). Make sure your graphics card can drive the screen at it's highest resolution/refresh rate. DVI is better than analogue, but I have one of each and can't tell the difference! That's another option to consider - two screens (= 1 for VX and one for your other software, all up and running at the same time). I use two 19" LCDs side-by-side - it really cuts down on your mouse clicks when working with more than one app at the same time and sharing via copy/paste is better too. You will soon be able to run more than one instance of the same VX version at the same time (v13.x), so even more fun is on it's way this year - better make that three screens!

Paul

Message 4 of 6

10-05-2007 03:35 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
UPDATE
Took delivery of a Samsung 22" (1680 x 1050) TFT a few days ago. Unit is a Syncmaster 226BW. I am running it at native resolution, the drivers supplied with the screen.
Text just isn't as good as CRT in small sizes but with real estate avialable, viewing bigger is no problem.

In VX, I have a work area of 400w x 250h. The history and toolbars etc are outside this.
VX looks stunning in both shaded and wire frame. One almost feels you are seeing the part in 3D and just want ot touch it.

The wide format is much like having two 800 x 600 screens side by side except NO borders.
All in all, exceptional value and for CAD absolutely great. Best upgrade ever.

Oh, I and I have a whole lot of desk back too.

Cheers

ChrisWard2k2

Message 5 of 6

10-05-2007 06:32 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Sounds like a stunning set-up. The extra desktop space feels strange doesn't it? Suprised to hear about the text quality, make sure your Windows OS is actually using the best font display method for TFT, which is "ClearType" (Display Properties/Appearance/Effects).

Paul

Message 6 of 6

11-05-2007 01:23 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Ah ha, now there's a trick that makes a real difference. Thanks Chris. Update the font thing to Text is Fine too.

Now it's all just luvly.
Cheers
See also
X