CAD/CAM discussion forum > 3D CAD/CAM > Using FEA for design optimisation???

Using FEA for design optimisation???

Subscribe Topic

Paul

Message 1 of 14

Using FEA for design optimisation???
12-06-2007 05:46 . am   |   View his/her posts only
I am looking for an affordable FEA package primarily to assist in reducing weight and material in cast components. The dymnamics are basically simple static loads with perhaps 1- 4 loads and directions simultaneous at the max.

I have used Cosmos Lite as bundled in SW which would do the majority of the work I need However, short of exporting into SW all the time and running it from there, I am looking for alternatives.

When I start looking it all gets complicated so I am interested in any recommendations. Budget is a definite requirement.

Cheers

ChrisWard2k2

Message 2 of 14

12-06-2007 09:52 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Hi Mudcrab

In a Part Object, Applications Menu, there are two 3rd Party FEA programs that VX knows (a little) about, Ansys DesignSpace and Cosmos DesignStar. Given that you are already familiar with Cosmos product, that has to be high on your list. Is it not possible to run Cosmos Lite stand-alone?

Kevin

Message 3 of 14

12-06-2007 02:02 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
On the other hand it sounds like you have SoldiWorks already so why not just export from VX to SW? If you do need a stand alone FEA app equivalent to Cosmos Xpress then look at Algor Design Check. This is the one included with Alibre Design Professional. but you can also download it free from Algor (ww.algor.com). I know someone using Algor's MES system and he swears by it - he does a lot of crash test stuff - WAY over my head!

Paul

Message 4 of 14

17-06-2008 05:18 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Hi all,
the FEA issue has not gone away.
It seems that basic FEA is or should be part ithe design process especially in loaded components.
Alibre, ProE, SW and probably others now include a basic+ FEA capability.
I have tried doing the SW/Cosmos approach with items from VX, but being a special for SW, the Cosmos Lite does not accept surface models as the Pro version would. This appears to be a limitation as could be expected of the other Lite versions included in CAD packages.

The cost of some packages exceeds the cost of VX!

Is there anyone on the forum using a basic FEA with VX? (that doesn't cost a lot)

Cheers

Kevin

Message 5 of 14

18-06-2008 12:11 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
The entry level FEAs are fairly basic and if you want any kind of advanced analysis I think you are talking thousands rather than hundreds of pounds or dollars. I'm certainly not aware of a robust, reliable system that does advanced analysis for less than

Kevin

Message 6 of 14

18-06-2008 12:14 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Paul, just reread your post. When you say surface models, are you purposely trying to analyse a surface model or is the surface model the result of the import into SolidWorks? If the latter you could try healing it in SolidWorks then run Cosmos Xpress?

Paul

Message 7 of 14

18-06-2008 04:58 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Hi Kevin,
to get a model into SW I have to export it as a Parasolid (not especially successful), IGES etc. Even after healing in SW(2004), the COSMOS interface will not work with it. So by surface model, I mean IGES etc. It is possible my SW skills are letting me down now. After VX , it seems like walking in mud. that's what familiarity(or lack of) does!

I have downloaded FEMdesigner, which is an IGES import FE system. Yet to try it out but looks promising and even affordable at ~$1200US

http://www.cyberlogic.org/FEMdesigner.html

Actually the hardest thing is trying to figure out what any FEA software costs! In most cases the website is devoid of even the opportunity to ask that question.

Thnaks for the interest.
Cheers

Paul

Message 8 of 14

19-06-2008 01:46 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Hi FEA folks,
I have managed to export a simple object in Parasolid and do a FEA with Cosmos Express in SW2004. So the issues is apparently getting a valid solid export/import.
Hmmmm. How hard can it be?

Cheers

Kevin

Message 9 of 14

20-06-2008 07:27 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Not hard at all unless you have hellish geometry

Try exporting as STEP rather than Parasolid and see if that works better. Also IGES is pretty good. I'm on SW 2008 and the IGES/STEP/Parasolid is pretty robust from VX so I can't say for sure what issues you might be having.

ChrisWard2k2

Message 10 of 14

22-06-2008 09:39 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Hi mudcrab

The attached VxDAL "ExIgesFlav" will export the current Part Object (3D Model) to IGES, in all available flavours (8 files created).

Other customers: If you would like to use this VxDAL (it's free) please check the downloads web page to see if it has been updated. I would not normally attach DALs to a Forum Thread but at the time of writing support.vx.com is unavailable (essential maintenance).

VxDAL DOWNLOADS

Paul

Message 11 of 14

23-06-2008 07:18 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Update.
I have discovered a some of the problems with accurate data exchange is are exort format related and others import based.
Getign knitted solid is required and unless this is achieved you cannot get 'meshed up'
I have managed to to get an IGEs into my chosen FEA (trial) and once there all is well.
The multi version DAL is helpful as it gives you 6 files to work with very quickly. Thanks Chris. Will let you know what worked best once I have finshed my experiments.
Tried STEP but couldn't get a result. Could be an import setting though. It seems this is the preferred format suggested by experienced FEA users e.g. consultants I have approached.
Seems most of the problems are related to pockets. e.g. cavities used to lighten the part. Removing these made the model much more radily imported.
Is the geometry 'hellish'? Chris has a copy of the two items of interest. What do you think?

cutter

Message 12 of 14

24-06-2008 07:53 . am   |   View his/her posts only
3dmonkey, would you please contact me? fieldweld@hughes.net. Thanks

ChrisWard2k2

Message 13 of 14

24-06-2008 06:28 . pm   |   View his/her posts only

Hi mudcrab

I do not have your files, the archive was corrupted. You will find that FEA generally requires simple models. That is what is featured on most FEA website examples too. The meshing is "intelligent", much more complex behind-the-scenes than the classic meshing that you see in some CAD programs. So, it is important to simplify models, taking out any small detail feature that is irrelevant to the FEA study. Some FEA programs still require that the User defines the model using the FEA program's own interface, providing tools that can only produce simple representations of the shape.

Paul

Message 14 of 14

16-02-2013 05:23 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Thought I would recover this thread as the FEA thing is still present/absent.
Firstly COSMOS Lite - apparently free at some point but where to get it?

Then I found this gem. PARETO
Have yet to try it bit the idea is brilliant. Have seen it done with think3 as an add on for come princely sum.

Cheers P
See also
X