CAD/CAM discussion forum > 3D CAD/CAM > Does VX install fonts?

Does VX install fonts?

Subscribe Topic

Paul

Message 1 of 8

Does VX install fonts?
08-07-2007 07:00 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
I have several customised drawing templates. On installing a new VX version, I copy the template file to the new user directory and point to it in the config.
However, it seems each time I have installed a version VX version recently, the fonts used in the template get changed to a font I have never heard of before.
This time around (V12.88) Georgia turned up, along with Engraver, Jazz, Maestro, Petrucci, Sidnie and their variants. I had recently stripped out all unnecessary fonts to speed up some of the attributes windows in VX. (This was successful)

My questions: Does VX install fonts during installation? If so, why these oddball fonts without asking and how come my customised templates get tramsformed?

Cheers

ChrisWard2k2

Message 2 of 8

08-07-2007 08:12 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Hello Paul

VX will load existing installed TTF fonts for VX use, it does not install TTF fonts. It does have a few special "VX fonts" that are only used by VX, not your whole system, and these are stored in the VX Supp folder. So, VX uses the fonts you have available, nothing more - I recall that you have invested in a Font Manager program, so are you saying that VX "sees" fonts that are not installed on your PC? That should not be possible.....

Clues: Perhaps the first thing to do is to go to Windows Control Panel, open the Fonts Folder and check what is actually available on the system. Did you edit the VX Fonts List in the past, to include some TTF fonts for drawing notes text etc? Did the Templates use TTF fonts in this way? Perhaps the original fonts used are not available on the system and substitute fonts that are available are being used instead - Now that VX builds the list of available fonts automatically, the font number (it's position in the list) will have changed if you have changed the fonts available. For example, on the Text Attribs form, the VX Fonts are listed first, followed by any system TTF fonts found. If the "old" text is not edited, the original font is maintained in the drawing. If you do modify the attributes and the font is no longer available on the system, VX will list the font that now occupies the old font's position in the font list and will use that "new" font if you make any changes.

Update: If you apply "Regen Text", that will change the fonts used if the list order has changed, including anything that arrived via a template.

Paul

Message 3 of 8

08-07-2007 09:37 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Thanks Chris,
here is what I think has been happening. Software has been installed that brings in the new fonts. However, they are only used in the context of that new software so I am not expressly aware of their existance on the system.

Now, VX new version arrives, the list order thing kicks in and voila, a "new" font arrives on my drawing template with out even a Hello.

Seems to me VX will need to get inline with the way other software identifies which font is which or at least offers a substitution dialogue.

PCR Noted.

Cheers,

ChrisWard2k2

Message 4 of 8

09-07-2007 04:44 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Hello Paul

That is essentially what happens, hence my PCR. If you do not regen text in v12, the existing font style is left alone, but if you make any change at all, the font is substituted. Since most CAD-CAM Users will not be using "strange" fonts for their 2D Layout text and dimensions, I think we want the system to record font names rather than font numbers. That alone would cover most instances of the problem. Then if we a pop-up that says "Font Abracadabra not found" we should have all posts covered.

Kevin

Message 5 of 8

09-07-2007 06:09 . am   |   View his/her posts only
I have seen this exact same issue in Ashlar-Vellum Cobalt. Where a newly installed app installs new fonts to the system (like any Adobe application or SolidWorks for example). Open up an old Cobalt drawing and half the fonts are substituted with new ones.....is this the problem?

ChrisWard2k2

Message 6 of 8

09-07-2007 09:36 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Hi Kevin

Yes, that is what we see if we regen the text. I have in fact proposed (via the PCR), that we have a User-Managed font list in VX, because we do not want VX to needlessly waste time loading fonts that are never going to be used.

Paul

Message 7 of 8

09-07-2007 04:37 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Hi Chris,
I think the idea of VX having it's own Font list discrete from all that is installed on the system has great merit.
For me, I'd probably only use 3-4 fonts with VX except if doing some text emboss/inlay on a product that needed a particular font.

I am a fan of Arial Narrow since it allows the maximum content in the smallest space whilst retaining excellent readability.

I think the challenge will be making sure the upgrade to newer VX versions has an easy way of keeping this user list intact.

I noticed you can see the list from Dimension Editor/Font List. The number = name is very obvious.

Cheers

ChrisWard2k2

Message 8 of 8

09-07-2007 06:31 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Hi Paul

The easiest way to ensure portability is to save the list as plain text, if that is possible for all languages supported.
See also
X