Subscribe Topic

Nick

Message 1 of 7

2d machining
10-08-2007 03:32 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Hey guys,

Is there a simpler way to handle 2d machining in VX? Its killing me - I can't get the parts programmed fast enough to keep in front of the machine operators. There is so much involved in machining holes and pockets in VX. If the hole isn't the exact same size as the reamer, its not going to ream it. There are times we pre-ream holes .001 under and then finish ream them. Do I have to create 2 different holes to do this - or lie about the size of the reamer(s)?

There are a bunch of other issues - posting being one of them - that I can list later. Right now I have to switch to my outdated Surfcam2001 software again to keep the machines in our department running (3 shifts).

I'd appreciate any help you could give.

thanks,

Nick.

ChrisWard2k2

Message 2 of 7

10-08-2007 06:54 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
One quick solution is to represent the holes by center point only, pick the points as a hole feature in CAM and enter the hole values on the CAM Form, thus ignoring any model discrepancies.

Jianxin

Message 3 of 7

14-08-2007 09:34 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Another way is to make hole tolerance bigger than 0.001 the amount you want to pre-ream.

randy

Message 4 of 7

30-08-2007 11:08 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Hi guys,

I use the add a hole feature(rmb on part, add feature, hole) in conjunction with the hole drilling tactics(hole rule set). I can add all the holes and then the ones I want reamed I can edit the tolerance (be sure to hit apply), if I set it to .0001 and I have a reamer that size in my library then VX will follow the rules of center, pre-drill and then ream. I typically leave the VX defaults and edit the tolerance of my holes, someday the designers will assign the proper attributes but until then this works.
You can add clamps and other fixtures for collision avoidance too.

Nick

Message 5 of 7

30-08-2007 02:02 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Thanks for the input, Randy. Its a daunting task whichever way I choose to process holes in a 2D part.

On a typical die shoe, there may be 4 sizes of reamed holes, plus 20 to 25 other different sizes of holes.

That's a lot of creating hole features and editing sizes and tolerances.

I can't justify using the software if it takes 2 to 4 times as long to program the part.

I have a $40 macro software from eastern Europe that I might be able to speed some processes up a bit.

Thanks again for your input.

Nick.

randy

Message 6 of 7

04-09-2007 09:36 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Hi Nick,

If the part is designed in VX and has proper hole attributes assigned then you do not need to do anything when drilling, the system will take care of it, you can add the whole part to the tactic.

VX does it by size tolerance, if everything has the same tolerance as from an imported file, one can not expect a system to filter it.

How does a hole macro "know" what hole is to be reamed or drilled? Maybe we can come up with a different way, send an example and let me know what holes and sizes you are after automating.

Regards,

Mike

Message 7 of 7

08-09-2007 09:07 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Nick,

Just for reference, if you do get an import and need to drill holes, use UTILITIES - Flag Hole Feature. Add the hole and thread information just as if you designed it in VX.
See also
X