CAD/CAM discussion forum > 3D CAD/CAM > V13 Dimensioning changed for the better???

V13 Dimensioning changed for the better???

Subscribe Topic

Paul

Message 1 of 4

V13 Dimensioning changed for the better???
20-01-2008 04:16 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Hi All,
working in V13 (sketcer), I am finding the Quick Dimensioning a bit annoying. The RMB options are no longer present and I find the system does not always select the points I want. Arc/circle centres in particular are quite elusive and are no longer picked via the mouse of the arc. (this is a good method of finding centres, especially in complex situations with several centres in close proximity.) The problem is mostly associated with the second point selection.
I find the jump to the text positon devious at best and annoying most of the time.
The Help doesn't highlight any changes as to how it all works compared to V12 which seems to me to be a whole lot more consistent and reliable in this area.
Anyone else having hassles with this or do I need some training??

Cheers

OldForumPost

Message 2 of 4

22-01-2008 03:50 . am   |   View his/her posts only
Hi Paul
I'm not sure if I will cover all your issues with this reply, but you may want to try the following method when dimensioning to circles/arcs.

Create a couple of circles that do not share the same origin point. To create a dimension between them, pick the first circle, it will come up as a dia dimension, then instead of placing the text for the current dia dimension, drag the mouse over the second circle, this will then either preview the centre point or the tangent point depending on your RMB option (critical or default). Then just place the text into position.

Cheers

Mike

Robert

Message 3 of 4

24-01-2008 10:56 . am   |   View his/her posts only
I agree. The consolidation of multiple commands has made certain things more difficult.

Paul

Message 4 of 4

27-02-2008 04:36 . pm   |   View his/her posts only
Hi Mike et al,

The 'lightbulb' smart?, dimension tool no longer provides an option for RMB options, critical etc, this seems to be the big change. So it apears the system is monitoring the location of the cursor then previewing it's selection so you can click to choose. No problem with this.
However the issus are:
The preview is weak/nigh on invisible in some backgrounds with no way of changing (system could automatically choose the color opposite the background colour) the preview color.
The size of the preview is small - bigger is better. Pick previews like the new AXIS previews are good. Don't go obese tho'.
The sensitivy is too high. By this I mean, the cursor will only show a point slection when the cursor is in a very small area with respect to the point e.g. end of a line coincident with another line.

In summary, good approach for a Smart tool, but execution is currently too delicate for my liking, whereas RMB choice, especially if the choice was enduring (hint-hint), gives much more power to the tool. I don't understand why you'd remove an option anyway. So, bolder and more readily selected previews and it'd be a flyer.

Cheers
See also
X